Google Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL Smartphone

Having both the pixel 2 and 3, I would go with the 2. There isn't enough between the two phones imo to justify the price difference

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think I'll try and find somewhere that I can try it out in person to see how it feels in hand. It looks like very few places, if any, still sell it as they've all moved to the Pixel 3. To be honest, the Nexus 5 still does everything I want 90% of the time, it'd just be nice to have a better battery and camera. Not too fussed about major updates, I used to mess around with my phone rooting, installing all sorts of stuff but these days I just want one that works.
I did think about buying secondhand or a refurb but I'm a bit worried in case the battery has been heavily worn or it was returned due to issues with the screen etc.
I'm a bit like you. I have a nexus 6 and love it. Was so far ahead at the time. Screen better than many phones coming out today. I don't like the new narrow screen on most modern phones

I liked the size of the Pixel 2, it was nice to use one-handed and comfortable to carry in your pocket, and despite other phones having a bigger battery and higher specs, I found the Pixel 2 battery life better than I expected for its capacity and it ran buttery smooth.

Last edited:
Well I've placed an order for the 2. I figure I can see how I get on with it for an hour or two before deciding if I want to keep it. I went for the full price one from google, just to be sure the battery is new and the warranty will last as long as possible as I yens to keep phones a while...which is why I'm typing this on my Nexus 5. It's tricky to try phones out before buying now, even in store you can't hold it in your hand properly as its glued to the stand!
Thanks again for the replies.

I've had a 2XL since release and have to say the battery has held up very well. Still get a day+ out of it.

Managed to crack my 2xl screen somehow, contacted support who said, rest assured, use our approved repairers and it won't be too expensive. Called them to be told it would be £250!!

Thankfully, my bank account has mobile insurance included £25 excess to pay.

For what it's worth, the Pixel 2 arrived yesterday. It definitely feels well built and the setup was a dream from the Nexus 5. Just plug in the cable and watch everything move across. It's also a fair bit snappier and the camera is obviously better.
That said, for my day to day use (I'm not a heavy user) I'm not sure there is a huge amount in it, whatsapp, chrome, gmail load quicker..but not light years quicker. The vibration motor feels cheaper. The bezels are noticeably bigger (I appreciate the stereo speakers are better as a result) and I can hardly notice any difference in the screen quality if I'm being honest. I used to be a bit of a tech geek and a graphic designer, so I'm not talking from zero experience either. I think for 4 year age gap I expected the difference to be more noticeable but maybe I'm not the target audience. I'll play around with it a bit more over the weekend before deciding for sure whether or not to keep it.

edit: ok, to be fair browsing in chrome is way faster. Screen (with definitely looks a little more orange (with colours boosted) than the N5 which might be slightly blue, but whites look more white on it.

Last edited:
Check out the cameras night mode for a quick glance at what sorcery looks like.

Edit: below are two pictures taken moments apart, one with night mode the other without.

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_185034.jpg
    IMG_20181120_185034.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 96
  • MVIMG_20181120_185023.jpg
    MVIMG_20181120_185023.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 98
Is anyone suffering from delayed notifications? I have the latest updates and have all of the different battery saving options turned off but notifications are massively delayed compared to other phones and sometimes don't appear until I load the mail app (gmail and yahoo specifically)

Last edited:
Are you on the December update?
I've only just updated to it today so I'll keep an eye out.

Mmmmm.... late reply but, better late than never!
The camera on the pixel 2 is fantastic. It has a natural colour palette and great resolution. It will be a vast improvement on your Nexus 5 camera (I had the Nexus 5 and 5x). However, it's still a bit pricey for a year old phone but, I recommend it for the camera.
Having said all that, when my contract runs out at the end of next year I will be looking at Huwei phones due to the Pro mode that allows for an exposure time of up to 30 secs. Pixel phones don't have this function which, for me, is useful.
If you click on the link it takes you to the Mobile Photography thread with some of my photos to give you an idea.
Mobile Phone Photography Thread

Mmmmm..... and that's what you get for replying to a notification. I'm one page short of a thread:rotfl:

Last edited:
I've got this case,
Google Pixel 2 XL Case Spigen... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07475TXJQ?

Which has served me well. Although I could never find a screen protector I got on with
I did have these
ScreenKnight Google Pixel 2 XL... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076N7PPBJ?
But couldn't get on with the feel of it, it made my screen feel rubbery. And because of the curve on the phone it is difficult to get a tempered glass one.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've got this case,
Google Pixel 2 XL Case Spigen... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07475TXJQ?

Which has served me well. Although I could never find a screen protector I got on with
I did have these
ScreenKnight Google Pixel 2 XL... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076N7PPBJ?
But couldn't get on with the feel of it, it made my screen feel rubbery. And because of the curve on the phone it is difficult to get a tempered glass one.

Thanks I went for the Whitestone dome screen protector

Not sure what you are trying to show here. Is it the blooming? Try taking a picture to see if it is still there?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom