Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell - is terrible, what am I missing?

TB303

Hello people,
We used to have one of the original Ring doorbells, and it had lots of issues, having to charge the battery all the time and often the app/ring taking ages to 'answer' a ring - missing packages etc.

We updated to Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell - and it's way worst.
While having it wired to the electricity is good, the app is terrible, we use the nest app and have about 5 other camera connected to it too.

The main issue is that when people ring the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell - it only shows up a modest notification on our iphones/ipads - easily missed. Ring would actually 'ring' on the phones and you could hear it. I know you could install a chime/google speaker, but we have a tall house and one of the best things about ring was you could answerthe door while being in another country....

I tried messing with the notifications setting in the nest app (especially as the other cameras notifications are muted) but no luck.

Another issue is that the app takes long to 'answer a ring' if you manage to intercept it. I have a beefy router literally about 2m vertically above the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell.

really disapointed and thinking of going back to a newer Ring, am I missing something? Ideas welcome, thank you!

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
I personally haven't had many issues but I am having a battle getting ours replaced as it's started peeling. A common issue apparently. So if you really aren't happy with it, maybe replace if you can.

PXL_20210711_092813247.jpg

Google support recommended a silicone cover, ironic really that a doorbell needs a cover (only had it 2 years).

Even more ironic is that it doesn't cover the peeling!

PXL_20210712_130529125.jpg

PXL_20210712_130540808.jpg

D

Deleted member 24354

Hello people,
We used to have one of the original Ring doorbells, and it had lots of issues, having to charge the battery all the time and often the app/ring taking ages to 'answer' a ring - missing packages etc.

We updated to Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell - and it's way worst.
While having it wired to the electricity is good, the app is terrible, we use the nest app and have about 5 other camera connected to it too.

The main issue is that when people ring the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell - it only shows up a modest notification on our iphones/ipads - easily missed. Ring would actually 'ring' on the phones and you could hear it. I know you could install a chime/google speaker, but we have a tall house and one of the best things about ring was you could answerthe door while being in another country....

I tried messing with the notifications setting in the nest app (especially as the other cameras notifications are muted) but no luck.

Another issue is that the app takes long to 'answer a ring' if you manage to intercept it. I have a beefy router literally about 2m vertically above the Google Nest Hello Video Doorbell.

really disapointed and thinking of going back to a newer Ring, am I missing something? Ideas welcome, thank you!
Given that you have had problems with both Nest and Hello, I would say look to your wifi / internet. I have installed quite a few nests for clients and not had problems at all.

TB303

I mean it works my problem is that when people actually ring the doorbell the alert is tiny and almost silent as opposed to the ring that would 'ring' loudlly and for a while - like a special audio notification

chopples

Distinguished Member
I personally haven't had many issues but I am having a battle getting ours replaced as it's started peeling. A common issue apparently. So if you really aren't happy with it, maybe replace if you can.

View attachment 1542616

Google support recommended a silicone cover, ironic really that a doorbell needs a cover (only had it 2 years).

View attachment 1542618
View attachment 1542619

It is common this, I think its due to heat (front of house south facing) I had my first replaced early 2020, approx 15 months old, my replacement is also starting to peel, both in the same place as yours.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
It is common this, I think its due to heat (front of house south facing) I had my first replaced early 2020, approx 15 months old, my replacement is also starting to peel, both in the same place as yours.
They are being stubborn as it was 4 days outside the 2 year warranty, despite the fact this probably happened days before it ended, I just haven't looked at it in a while and I don't ring my own bell...

Jamie

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1542616

View attachment 1542618
View attachment 1542619

Mines been in a white silicone cover for over 2 and a half years and it's absolutely fine, the front door is also south facing but we are in Yorkshire, funny that support are recommending a silicone cover because mine certainly seems to have helped.

HaRd2BeAr

Distinguished Member
Mines been in a white silicone cover for over 2 and a half years and it's absolutely fine, the front door is also south facing but we are in Yorkshire, funny that support are recommending a silicone cover because mine certainly seems to have helped.
I wish it had said from the start because I would have used it from the get go. Hopefully they'll replace mine and I can get a case on a new one from the start.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I only got the case because I would have preferred a white version TBH, the fact it seems to have avoided an issue is just a bonus,

I mean it works my problem is that when people actually ring the doorbell the alert is tiny and almost silent as opposed to the ring that would 'ring' loudlly and for a while - like a special audio notification

You can change the notification settings easily enough which helps. I know this because my dogs learn which sound is the door so I change it regularly.

TB303

can't you change the notification sound for the nest app on your iphone?
No not really, it doesn't 'ring' like the Ring app did, I knwo we can have google speakers in the house to 'chime' but the whole point is to answer when we're away...

how do you guys here the 'doorbell'? Thanks

Mr X

Distinguished Member
No not really, it doesn't 'ring' like the Ring app did, I knwo we can have google speakers in the house to 'chime' but the whole point is to answer when we're away...

how do you guys here the 'doorbell'? Thanks
Not sure I understand your issue as when someone rings it alerts you on your phone by showing you an image of who’s there and I think it rings but my phone is always on vibrate and with me.
But I’m addition it rings on various Sonos arcs/beams and google home hubs as they all announce the call too as well as notifying my wrist via the Apple Watch.

On a separate note, like @HaRd2BeAr I noticed a year ago that mine was peeling but did nothing about it. Wish I had now but have no idea how old it is. Will have to look it up.

When I am at home I get announcements and video on google minis, hub and hub max's, also get a notification on my phone and watch but don't notice the phone when I am at home as I don't carry my phone around with me in the house. My watch notification is set to silent at the moment.

When I am out with the phone on me I pick up the phone notification, sound and vibrate and the watch notification is set to sound and vibrate.

oneman

I am wondering if its latency in your internet connection. How many ms if you run something like speedtest.net from your phone.

lynx

HaRd2BeAr; you may be better off creating your own thread.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom