google.earth.com

klr10

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there was a NASA site everyone on here was raving about a while back..? Has Google done a deal or is this a different idea?

Is it better? I like google earth, just to look at stuff

Nasa's seems all pretentious

Google Earth has a lot more detail outside of North America, and the client file is a lot smaller too.

Is Google Earth a work in progress? Will they be adding more detail to the areas that are not photo-realistic?

Yes. Their ultimate aim is to have the whole earth covered with photo-realistic areas, with similar detail levels to those seen in Cambridge, Massachussetts. The detail in that area is awesome!!

They have just added my area to Google Earth and I can see my pond :)

Attachments

• MyPond.JPG
    MyPond.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 291
It seems that my area is high quality (like above) when i compare it to my aunts area in wales.

JohnG said:
They have just added my area to Google Earth and I can see my pond :)

Is there another update available ?
John

Google Earth maps are being updated all the time and I assume they are held on the Google server - you connect to that and the maps stream to your computer. The last time I looked (before Christmas) my area wasn't in high resolution.
Interestingly the photos of my area look to be taken between 2 and 3 years ago - I should get a definate date of them from my mate who works on a local farm as he will be able to tell from the field patterns when it was.

Plymouth has been updated recently too. The photos seem to have been taken about 12months ago - you can tell because they are in the middle of building a large shopping mall in the middle of town and on Google Earth they have only just started clearing the ground, whereas in reality they have now nearly finished building the structure.

I couldn't get anywhere near that level of detail when I downloaded it so deleted it all. I must have another try and RTFM this time

You gotta set the resolution in the preferences, but the higher you go the longer it takes to redraw the view (obviously). At this point it`s a bit of a bandwidth hog.

I did try Worldwind but couldn`t get on with it. I like to zoom in on airfields and try to I.D the planes. Come to think of it, not updated GE for some time.

There doesn't seem to have been updated for ages. The last update I downloaded was 3rd Jan. Is this right?

JohnG said:
Google Earth maps are being updated all the time and I assume they are held on the Google server - you connect to that and the maps stream to your computer. The last time I looked (before Christmas) my area wasn't in high resolution.
Interestingly the photos of my area look to be taken between 2 and 3 years ago - I should get a definate date of them from my mate who works on a local farm as he will be able to tell from the field patterns when it was.

Its funny , I knew all that :suicide: God knows why I asked :rolleyes: .
Maybe got too preoccupied with the update option in the toolbar :D

You can see the pond in my garden too , and how manky it was before I filled it in

John

I have never really tried google earth but I will have to make a point of it coz the quality from the shot above looks superb!

Its fantastic Mason.

Really addictive... can search by postcode so easy to nip all over the country.

You can even be looking at an area and type 'pizza' and you get all the local takeaways marked on the maps etc. Great stuff.

Tyne & Wear has just recently been added in hi-rez..... and like others have said the maps are over 3 yrs old (our house is a patch of dirt !) Does anyone know why it took so long to update ? Do the images have to go thru some sort of governmental clearance in each country do you think ?

anyone looked around Baghdad city centre ? some interesting stuff if you tick the 'google earth community' to see Points of Interest that have been added

The problem I have with Google Earth is that you can tell it's an American program.

You type in something like "Hiroshima" and bit of the town that has not been touched since the war is very out of focus but the rest is crystal clear.
I wonder why?

I found some good ones on there.
Type in the post code 90210 and as you zoom in it tells you which celeb owns each house and the full postal address.

Another couple of good ones are "The Pentagon" and "area 51" both are crystal clear.

Aparaently the data is 2 years old and is being updated very month.

I forget which post code I typed in but I could see a woman sunbathing in her garden naked:D
When I figure out which one it was i'll let you all know

My SE5 London postcode has been updated in the last 6 months. This time its an improved resolution, bright sunny day, and I can see my car.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom