Google Chromecast Ultra compatibility with Netflix and Disney+ apps

Atm87

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've been trying to get 4k content and atmos running through the Netflix and Disney+ app for the last week and don't seem to get it.

My set up is the 4k Benq W2700 projector that is connected to the latest Denon x3700h AV receiver that supports 4K with a 5.1.4 atmos set up. The Chromecast Ultra is connected into one of the HDMI inputs.

When I cast Disney+ and Netflix from my Oppo R15pro phone or Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 tablet, the movies that are 4k and atmos compatible do not stream in these formats. Is it because my phone and tablet are not 4k that the apps do not recognise the 4k setup? On the Disney Plus app under the play button it only says HD and 5.1 is available when the movie (EG Iron Man 1 or 2) is available in 4k UHD and atmos is available.

My projector has HDCP2.2 compliants HDMI ports and the AV receiver have HDCP 2.3 compliant HDMI ports.

What streaming device is actually reliable to stream via Netflix and Disney+ in 4k and Atmos? I've been buying 4k UHD blu-rays but to try and buy the whole Marvel movie series will cost a lot!

When I cast Disney+ and Netflix from my Oppo R15pro phone or Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 tablet, the movies that are 4k and atmos compatible do not stream in these formats. Is it because my phone and tablet are not 4k that the apps do not recognise the 4k setup? On the Disney Plus app under the play button it only says HD and 5.1 is available when the movie (EG Iron Man 1 or 2) is available in 4k UHD and atmos is available.

I don‘t believe the older chromcast supports atmos from netflix. It most definitely will not support atmos from disney as that is limited to a handful of devices atm, in fact even the newer google TV doesn’t support atmos from the disney app.

with regards to 4k hdr. I am not sure, I would have thought it would work regardless of the device as it off hands the stream to the chrome cast (rather than mirror) Have you set the ports on both your Denon and perhaps even the PJ to enhanced?

you may wonder why I am asking this because the UHD player works, but spinners will adjust the output refresh rate dependent on the source and as most movies run at 24hz then this is below the standard hdmi limit, even with hdr. I expect the chrome cast will be outputting 60hz (or 50) for all content which means if the ports are set as standard then HDR will not be possible. To complicate things more, Disney does not support 4K SDR which could be why you only receive HD.

What streaming device is actually reliable to stream via Netflix and Disney+ in 4k and Atmos? I've been buying 4k UHD blu-rays but to try and buy the whole Marvel movie series will cost a lot!

Yes, there is :smashin:. The 2 obvious options would be the Apple TV 4K and the 2019 nvidia shield pro. Given your case usage (Netflix and Disney) I would be inclined to go with the Apple TV, this is due to the fact it handles refresh rate switching better than the shield.

I don‘t believe the older chromcast supports atmos from netflix. It most definitely will not support atmos from disney as that is limited to a handful of devices atm, in fact even the newer google TV doesn’t support atmos from the disney app.

with regards to 4k hdr. I am not sure, I would have thought it would work regardless of the device as it off hands the stream to the chrome cast (rather than mirror) Have you set the ports on both your Denon and perhaps even the PJ to enhanced?

you may wonder why I am asking this because the UHD player works, but spinners will adjust the output refresh rate dependent on the source and as most movies run at 24hz then this is below the standard hdmi limit, even with hdr. I expect the chrome cast will be outputting 60hz (or 50) for all content which means if the ports are set as standard then HDR will not be possible. To complicate things more, Disney does not support 4K SDR which could be why you only receive HD.

Yes, there is :smashin:. The 2 obvious options would be the Apple TV 4K and the 2019 nvidia shield pro. Given your case usage (Netflix and Disney) I would be inclined to go with the Apple TV, this is due to the fact it handles refresh rate switching better than the shield.
Thanks Chopples for your response. I have had those settings for the Denon receiver as described in your link, the only thing I changed is for the HDMI input for the Chromecast Ultra is to change the HDCP from auto to 2.3 but still no change. I use Prolink Premium Certified cables as well! I know there's no issue with the HDMI cable between the AV and Projector as the Panasonic UB820 plays the UHD Blurays no problem and there's no issues with video and audio during playback.

On the Denon AV app, it shows the Chromecast input at 4k60 and the output is 4k60 but the Disney+ app on my tablet still just says HD and the Netflix app also says maximum resolution is Full HD!

I have been researching on other streaming devices, and as you have pointed out the above two seem to work with both. I don't use any Apple products (my little vendetta against them haha) so might have to look at the Nvidia Shield and Shield Pro. I think the Shield will do the job? I'm not really a gamer so don't see the cost justification for the Pro, unless there's something I'm missing apart from the extra 1GB in RAM?

It's a shame Netflix and Disney don't support the Chromecast Ultra, it's been around for a while. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there that have no idea that they are paying for Netflix Premium and actually not getting the UHD experience or Atmos experience

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom