• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Google Chrome - Security Flaw

7ewis

Established Member
Today I just discovered a huge security flaw in Google Chrome!

When you log in to a website do you click the 'Save Password' option? If so your password is easily accessible to anyone how goes onto your PC.

If you go to:
chrome://settings/passwords
In Google Chrome, it shows you the websites that you have saved passwords for, and the usernames. The passwords are all dotted, as you would expect, but if you mouse over them it shows an option to 'Show Password' and it shows it to you..

I haven't found a fix for this yet, apart from not saving your passwords, which is inconvenient..

Iccz

Distinguished Member
So you save your passwords then complain the browser is insecure?

Surely if security matters that much to you, you don't save your passwords...

tonyrees687

Prominent Member
Yep go back to writing them down on paper and you shoudnt have a problen unless you lose the paper and gotta reset your password again and get more emails with your password entry that can be hacked and start all over again.
Hackers are doing great these days. Very clever people. If you have it and they want it they will probably get it if they want it.
I dunno we are all open to some kind of attack verbaly or otherwise

7ewis

Established Member
Yeah Rohos looks good, but I don't want to have to put in a usb stick everytime I want to go on the internet, All I want really is just to remove the show password option.

Iccz; I'm not too bothered about security, it's just I wouldn't want one of my mates or family or anyone getting into that bit, even if it's just for a laugh.. because my passwords are sort of patterns, if you work out 2 of them you can predict the others.

It's more complicated than password1, password2 etc. lol dont want to go into too much detail about them :p

Solar

Prominent Member
It's not a security flaw, it's just saving your passwords for easier logins.
If you want to save your bank details where every one will see, well then that's your own fault really.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
honestly i find the whole point completely pointless...

youve saved your login details on your pc... so if someone goes onto your pc and goes onto said website, they can login as you... yet your worried about them being able to see your passwords?!

The fault is one and the same and the resolution is one and the same.

DONT LET PEOPLE ON YOUR PC IF YOU DONT WANT THEM SEEING OR USING YOUR DETAILS OR DONT SAVE YOUR PASSWORDS.

This is exactly why banking websites and the likes ask "are you using a public pc"

If other people access your pc I dont know why you would save your details anyway?

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member

When you log in to a website do you click the 'Save Password' option? If so your password is easily accessible to anyone how goes onto your PC.

That is no different to Firefox. Saved passwords and Usernames can be seen in the FF options.

Graham27

Distinguished Member
If this really was a 'huge security flaw' it'd have been a big deal before now. But it's not, so it hasn't. Sorry :)

It's an option/setting they've put in there. They know about it and what it does. It's not a flaw, it's meant to be there. That may not suit you, but it doesn't make it a flaw :)

pandemic

Prominent Member
I thought everyone knew all the major browsers save the password in plain text, it's been the case with firefox for years. Although in FF I think you can set up a Master password to hide them.
The first thing I do when install a browser is to turn off the 'ask to save password' feature.

7ewis

Established Member
I don't let others, I was just shocked at how easy it was to see them in plain text.

And ok, maybe it was a bit over the top Callum it a huge security flaw, but still :p

rousetafarian

Only 2 people use my Mac, and if anything fraudulent happens, one of us (or both) will be getting stern words....she told me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom