Google, Apple, Zigbee and Amazon Agree to Develop Single IOT Connectivity Standard

xxGBHxx

Some fairly huge news announced in the last few days

To quote

"Project Connected Home over IP is a new Working Group that plans to develop and promote the adoption of a new, royalty-free connectivity standard to increase compatibility among smart home products, with security as a fundamental design tenet. "

Further it states

"Amazon, Apple, Google, and the Zigbee Alliance joined together to promote the formation of the Working Group. Zigbee Alliance board member companies IKEA, Legrand, NXP Semiconductors, Resideo, Samsung SmartThings, Schneider Electric, Signify (formerly Philips Lighting), Silicon Labs, Somfy, and Wulian are also on board to join the Working Group and contribute to the project.

The goal of the Connected Home over IP project is to simplify development for manufacturers and increase compatibility for consumers. The project is built around a shared belief that smart home devices should be secure, reliable, and seamless to use. By building upon Internet Protocol (IP), the project aims to enable communication across smart home devices, mobile apps, and cloud services and to define a specific set of IP-based networking technologies for device certification."

If it comes to fruition (and I have no reason to believe it's not going to) then there is no doubt it will become the one technology to rule them all. I worry that as it's based on IP it's going to have a very cloud/online focus though. I still think there's at least some room for things like ZWave and LightwaveRF as IP based protocols have historically not been good with power consumption (WiFi) or range (Bluetooth).

Thoughts?

G

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Sounds great. I love my zwave setup, it's pretty flawless, but having a common IP interface to control that via Alexa/Siri/etc. would be so much easier if there was an agreed standard.

D

Deleted member 24354

Why? We already have two ratified protocols that HA uses Zigbee and ZWave. Zwave has military grade encryption available. For IP networking we already have WiFi. This will just add further confusion into a market where we already have WiFi, Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, Zigbee, Zwave and Apple Homekit to name but a few of the more common protocols

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom