Goodwood speed festival.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TONYELISE, Sep 12, 2012.

1. TONYELISE

TONYELISE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    Anyone been to the goodwood weekend before i was thinking of going this weekend and was looking for peoples view on what is like,is it a family day or more a outright motorsport event?

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    This coming weekend is the Goodwood Revival, not the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Tickets are sold out for all three days, so unless you know of one/some you can definitely get hold of then you won't be able to attend. Tickets are not available on the gate.

The Revival days consist of a number of short(ish) motor races, each featuring cars from specific eras and classes, e.g: 1952-55 Freddie March Memorial Trophy, or '63-'66 Whitsun Trophy. More here.

They also have 'featured runs', one could call them. This year the pre-war Auto Union and Mercedes will take part in a 'demonstration run'. It is also the 50th anniversary of the legendary AC/Shelby Cobra.

It's a great family day out, with plenty to do besides watching some great motor racing. If you can attend try to dress in period costume (1948-1966). Not only will you become part of the fabulous atmosphere you need to wear period gear to wander around the paddock area, as well as having a paddock pass of course.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,489
    Went last year, my first ever motor event, and I really enjoyed it.

I particularly liked the variety of racing - different periods, diferent types and sizes of vehicle, different skill levels.

Looking at the girls dressed up in period costume is an added bonus too.

Was going to go this year but it clashes with taking my son upto to University so I'll have to leave it till next year.

The only thing I don't like about these sort of events (I also do airshows) is the paying up front, no tickets on the gate, because weather can make or break the day.

Last year I went on the Sunday and was fairly lucky right upto the last 25% of the event. By then rain was hard and it was getting very uncomfortable and cold watching so I left before the end.

Was planning on buying last minute this year, but sounds like tickets are sold out.

Cheers,

Nigel