Goodness Gracious Me: Reunion Special

We missed the start of this but did enjoy quite a bit of what we saw. The Blurred Lines micktake had me in stitches.

Bri

did it fare better than The Fast Show two-parter?

Just like the original TV show IMHO - mostly rubbish filler with one or two okay sketches

Preferred The Fast Show and of course Harry and Paul which was the best of the lot.

I found Harry and Paul to be nasty in places, not funny.

did it fare better than The Fast Show two-parter?

I've got to say The Fast Show never worked for me. It was mainly a succession of catch phrases. I once went on a holiday break with my wife and several friends. One of our friends decided to play episode after episode of it. He was one of the few of us who laughed. The most interesting thing for me was that a lot of it had been filmed in Newcastle which I know well. Other than that it was total rubbish.

Bri

Other than that it was total rubbish.
Yep, and their musical sketches always made me cringe. It's hard to pull off a funny one, but their's were worse than Lenny Henry's.

EDIT... Oops! Just realised you were talking about The Fast Show, whilst I just responded about Goodness Gracious Me.

Caught The Goodness Gracious Me reunion last night on the I player. Unfortunately I thought it was awful. I used to find it funnier when it was first broadcast, but the quality of the writing in the Reunion imo was just poor. A shame really as some of the characters I genuinely used to find funny.

tbf the two okay sketches were probably better than okay ...

- the Delhi Mail sketch was a good take on their Going For An English role-reversal sketch

- UKIP in the Coopers (Kapoors) and Robinsons (Rabindranaths) sketch was a nice and extremely timely touch

EDIT ...
Sharat Sardana, to whom the show was dedicated, was one of the creators of GGM and, along with schoolmate and writing partner Richard Pinto (Citizen Khan), wrote most of the sketches and The Kumars At No. 42. He sadly passed away in 2009 at just 40 from a bacterial infection.
(Obituary by Sanjeev Bhaskar: Obituary: Sharat Sardana | Media | The Guardian)

Last edited:
tbf the two okay sketches were probably better than okay ...

- the Delhi Mail sketch was a good take on their Going For An English role-reversal sketch

- UKIP in the Coopers (Kapoors) and Robinsons (Rabindranaths) sketch was a nice and extremely timely touch

EDIT ...
Sharat Sardana, to whom the show was dedicated, was one of the creators of GGM and, along with schoolmate and writing partner Richard Pinto (Citizen Khan), wrote most of the sketches and The Kumars At No. 42. He sadly passed away in 2009 at just 40 from a bacterial infection.

I'd lost interest by the final sketch/sing song but did notice the dedication. The latter of the two examples you've given Krish, I'm quite fond of those characters. It did bring a smile to my face when I heard "surjeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeta!!" And although the subject/topic was of relevance, I still thought in its heyday, it would have been much sharper in the writing department.

No different to the Open All Hours catchup, there were some brief smiles and laughs..but not a patch on the originals imo.

Watched 'Goodness Gracious Me Reunion' and though it was OK. Good slick performance and a good mix of sketches. The script was a little lacking, but does tie in with modern day standards, ie no hard, sharp and cutting contentious stuff - just mild little pricks.

Oh dear, they're at it again ...
Goodness Gracious Me
BBC Two | 7 March

After their successful reunion in 2014 the original cast from the award winning sketch show returns for another one-off special of the ground-breaking British Asian sketch show featuring some new characters and old favourites.

Starring Sanjeev Bhaskar, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Syal, Nina Wadia with Dave Lamb.

To make the distribution of tickets fair, we are once again operating a random draw.

You can register for tickets at any time until Thursday 19 February at 4pm.

You can apply for a maximum of two tickets.

^^^ looks like that second 'one-off' special is airing on BBC2 at 10pm next Tuesday (25 Aug) as part of the BBC's 'India Season' (also includes World’s Busiest Railway, India’s Natural Wonders and Kolkata with Sue Perkins)
The original cast of the award-winning British-Asian sketch show reunite for this one-off special as part of BBC Two's India Season. Featuring new sketches, including twists on old favourites, such as how the Kapoors first became the English-obsessed Coopers, what enables the Indian Space Programme to do things so much more cheaply than NASA and how the Taj Mahal was nearly a radically different design.

Starring Sanjeev Bhaskar, Kulvinder Ghir, Meera Syal and Nina Wadia with Dave Lamb. Guest starring Art Malik.
The BBC has announced a major new season of programmes across television and radio dedicated to one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world - India.
The season will be a celebration of the richness of the landscape and people of the country as well as its culture, art, business and politics.

On BBC One there will be a major exploration of the past, present and future of India through the remarkable story of Kolkata, fronted by Sue Perkins and entitled Sue Perkins in Kolkata.

On BBC Two the season will go behind the scenes of The World’s Busiest Railway 2015 in Mumbai with Dan Snow, Anita Rani and Robert Llewellyn (pictured) and celebrate the glory of India’s wild world through the eyes of three special guides, scientist Liz Bonnin, actor Freida Pinto and mountaineer Jon Gupta in The Wonders Of India.

Also on Two is a special new episode of the ground-breaking Asian sketch show, Goodness Gracious Me. BBC Four offers the opportunity to explore Indian culture in more depth with Dr Sona Datta, revealing the treasures that have shaped the modern Indian world in Treasures Of The Indus. William Darymple unearths the story of the White Mughals, while the channel is also making Mumbai High - A Musical, a unique documentary musical filmed in Dharavi in Mumbai, the biggest slum in Asia.

I remember Goodness Gracious Me when it started, a bit edgy without being nasty.
Oh, and ridiculous!

I saw the one last year, disappointed.

Last night's new one was worse. So a social networking deity twist on the competitive mothers sketch, broadcasting/reality show twist on going for an English, etc ... but no laughs.

A shame, I remember laughing so much it hurt with the first show that had Richard E. Grant is the first victim err... guest.

Hmmm ...
The team behind late 90s BBC comedy Goodness Gracious Me have plans to bring back their distinctive brand of humour in a new format, reveals Meera Syal in the new issue of Radio Times magazine.

Syal – one of the comedy quartet which also featured Sanjeev Bhaskar, Kulvinder Ghir and Nina Wadia – says the group are collecting material for a possible new project.

"We don’t want to redo something for the sake of it, but we’re discussing something," Syal tells Radio Times. "We’d like to bring our brand of humour back but in a different format.

"We have to be confident we’ve got the material and I think we have. We’re gathering it. That could well happen.”

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom