1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodmans or Panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by KEVO.S, Dec 31, 2004.

1. KEVO.S

KEVO.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently placed an order with Argos for a Goodmans GTV42P3 for £999 but am now having second thoughts after reading in the forum as it doesn't seem to be getting very good reviews. I'm thinking of cancelling my order and opting for a Panasonic TH-42PW6 from AV-Sales for £1549.
    Theres extras you can add on the Panasonic, what would you recommend as i'm running a DVD, Sky, video and a sound system! Or what thoughts does anyone have with regard to sticking with Goodmans or going the extra £500 for the Panasonic.

New at this any help appreciated. :lease:

Thanks Kevo

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kevo and welcome to the forums :thumbsup:.

There probably aren't many people on this forum that own the Goodmans plasma, so it will be quite difficult to get the views of someone with hands on experience who can give a difinitive thumbs down.

The Panasonic however is a proven high quality performer, and it's virtually 100% certain that you won't be disappointed with it, especially with dvd's played though a component video board.

If I had to take a guess based on gut feeling, I would say the Panasonic will wipe the floor with the Goodmans. Also keep in mind that little over a year ago the PWD6 retailed at around £3000, and this is reflected in the quality of its picture.

It will cost more money, especially when you factor in the video boards and stand / wall bracket, but I'm reminded of a bit of advice I saw on this forum a few weeks ago, when one member told a potential buyer of the £999 Tiny plasma that he had the choice between £999 down the drain or £1750 well spent.

I think the PWD6 would be a wise move.

4. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ask yourself this one

at least panasonic is a brand to trust and a brand that is life long eh?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    see the thread on the TINY plasma also £999 recently and what the reaction was.... the fact that 6 argos store i have been to larger and small none have had the goodmans on display (GOLDEN RULE of AV DEMO and let your eyes/ears decide) the fact you cannot see the screen before you buy is a big big negative If it wasnt such a mess i would order one to see what it is like and return it.....Just to see what you can expect from sub £1000 plasma

6. KEVO.S

KEVO.S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help and advice i'm going to cancell my order with argos and order a Panasonic TH-42PW6 from AV-Sales for £1549.
    Just a quick one can you upgrade the terminal board at a later date or only on purchase :smashin: .?

Thanks again

Kevo

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +416
    You can buy different boards and fit them after (up to 3) ... although if you leave it a long time they might be harder to find ...

rgds

Jon