goodmans GTVL42W15HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks DD3, looks great!

Is this TV able to except a 1080p source, so for example will it run the full true HD image when using HD-DVD for example?

Also DD3 how does normal Sky+ look on this television has I still will use it for some normal tv stuff.

My main intrest is using it has a PC monitor and screen for my XBox360?

Also is there a link anywhere for the manual?

Regards,

Is this TV able to except a 1080p source, so for example will it run the full true HD image when using HD-DVD for example?

YES :rotfl: as per most of this thread it is. documentd everywhere, tested via VGA, tested 1080i only though via HDMI as none of us as yet has a component or HDMI output that can deliver 1080p, however it is documented in black and white 1080p

Also DD3 how does normal Sky+ look on this television has I still will use it for some normal tv stuff.

Sky+ quality is acceptable in my opinion. Im feeding mine through an AV reciever using component. it is a 42" screen so I find you do need to be 7 foot plus away for it to look smooth, but I doubt this is any different for any 42" LCD. I also find the analogue TV reciever to give better pq than my sky+ through component/scart sometimes.

My main intrest is using it has a PC monitor and screen for my XBox360?

Same here (except Im looking for PS3) hence it was a good choice as far as Im concerned.

Also is there a link anywhere for the manual?

unfortunately not that I can find. although the manual is not fantastic. however you could give goodmans a call. their website is meant to have manuals online, but doesnt work at moment.... havent bothered to tell them myself.

Sorry I asked about 1080p again DDR3 but just wanted to confirm has I read about 1080 television which do not except 1080 sources or something so did not want a TV that can't take full advantage of the 1080p material.

For a 42" TV it does seem a good price, I am wondering if it is has good has it seems. I really am very tempted. I already have a Dell 32" LCD television that is HD but does not do true HD.

The big thing is I am not sitting that far from the TV/PC monitor so my main concern is whether 42" will be too big.

Did you say if it has PIP?

What is the style like with this TV does it feel quality, the case around the screen is it nice looking? some nice pics would be great.

I have reserved one of these as they are coming into makro on Monday.

What is the optimum distance to sit away from this 42" TV when playing xbox 360 and watcging freeveiw via scart?

I hope this set is as good as it sounds, will be using it with my Topfield freeveiw PVR and an xbox 360.

I will probally connect the xbox via component and the Topfield via RGB scart.

Cheers for all your advice gents.

Scott

Scott, I would ring Makro on Monday to make sure they are in before setting off. I suspect the guy who told you they were sold out was telling porkies, I bet they hadn't had them delivered yet.

I went to my local Makro today (after being told last night on the phone that they were in stock) and guess what - the Six they had on order STILL hadnt arrived.

I got the manger to check all the other stores in Yorks / North Notts but no stores had any, they are all waiting for stock (about 122 units on order in total accross the country).

In the end I made the manager sell me the one they had on display, He would only knock £30 off though so I got it for £869.99 + VAT. It was unmarked though to be fair.

Anyway I am now a very happy bunny, The analogue picture isnt even too bad! Freeview through my Topfield PVR is excellent via Scart, not quite as crisp as the Sony 32" CRT it replaces but none too shoddy all the same.

Hooked my laptop up & struggled a bit with settings at First. Managed to get a stunning 1024x768 display on there, crisp as anything. Couldnt fathom how to get 1920x1080 though, kept trying but dont know too much about powerstrip) got a very good dislpay at my lappy's native resolution of 1400x1050.

I would be happy to take some piccies but havent a clue how to post them Doh!

Scott, I would ring Makro on Monday to make sure they are in before setting off. I suspect the guy who told you they were sold out was telling porkies, I bet they hadn't had them delivered yet.

I went to my local Makro today (after being told last night on the phone that they were in stock) and guess what - the Six they had on order STILL hadnt arrived.

I got the manger to check all the other stores in Yorks / North Notts but no stores had any, they are all waiting for stock (about 122 units on order in total accross the country).

In the end I made the manager sell me the one they had on display, He would only knock £30 off though so I got it for £869.99 + VAT. It was unmarked though to be fair.

Anyway I am now a very happy bunny, The analogue picture isnt even too bad! Freeview through my Topfield PVR is excellent via Scart, not quite as crisp as the Sony 32" CRT it replaces but none too shoddy all the same.

Hooked my laptop up & struggled a bit with settings at First. Managed to get a stunning 1024x768 display on there, crisp as anything. Couldnt fathom how to get 1920x1080 though, kept trying but dont know too much about powerstrip) got a very good dislpay at my lappy's native resolution of 1400x1050.

I would be happy to take some piccies but havent a clue how to post them Doh!

Cheers mate,
I will call Makro before setting off, they have reserved it for me. Even thought its only a 10 min drive.

Glad you are happy with your set, the Hull Makro only had the 37" sets in. Seems Hull is only getting 1x42" set.

What you need to to to post photos is goto www.photobucket.com and register for an account.

Upload your photo's there. When they are uploaded below the photos it will have 3 boxes containing text. You need to copy and paste the 3rd one down (IMG) into the text box on the forum. Easy!!

Do you have an xbox 360? If so what is it like on that?

Glad to hear your toppy looks good.

I think should DDE should come clean how he set his up with his DVE disk so we can all have the benifits!

Scott

What is the optimum distance to sit away from this 42" TV when playing xbox 360 and watcging freeveiw via scart?

about 3 feet away with my extra large beanbag,and glass table topped with smokes,juice,and some haribo sweets..:thumbsup:
ive always sat quite close to the tv..and havent gone blind yet.
@Bepto,glad your happy..hope you can post some pics of this set,..im going to post some of my setup when my daughter gets back..hope the camera is still in one piece too.!

ok so Ive gone and done a stupid thing today.... bought an xbox :rotfl: ... working on composite only at 1080i and pic is fantastic :clap: kids are happily playing 8foot from TV with the wireless remotes (something Im happy about as dont like them sitting too close)

the guy may have been telling truth about them selling out as when I bought mine 5-6 weeks ago they were on special at 999+vat so you guys are getting an even better deal.

re setup. Im stil playing. I want to find a source for the filters needed to set the colours corectly.

however at present i have on scart1

contrast 40
bright 41
backlight 39
hue 43
colour 45
sharpness 0

it will need adjusting further once have filters. (I also dont like set too bright so may not suit all viewing situations)

ok so Ive gone and done a stupid thing today.... bought an xbox :rotfl: ... working on composite only at 1080i and pic is fantastic :clap: kids are happily playing 8foot from TV with the wireless remotes (something Im happy about as dont like them sitting too close)

the guy may have been telling truth about them selling out as when I bought mine 5-6 weeks ago they were on special at 999+vat so you guys are getting an even better deal.

re setup. Im stil playing. I want to find a source for the filters needed to set the colours corectly.

however at present i have on scart1

contrast 40
bright 41
backlight 39
hue 43
colour 45
sharpness 0

it will need adjusting further once have filters. (I also dont like set too bright so may not suit all viewing situations)

Great news on the xbox 360 running 1080i The xbox will get its autum update soon so it will run 1080p. That will be the true test of this LCD

So is the screen playable 8 feet away on games?

DD3 what are the 'filters'??

Scott

yes my kids sat over 8feet away playing lego starwarsII.. 42" screen they dont need to be close.

the filters are needed as part of using the DVE dvd to tune the setup of the set to get the colours, brightness and contrast etc. set correctly. (you look at a certain test patern through a coloured filter to adjust red green etc.)

I hope the 1080p update is free?

yes my kids sat over 8feet away playing lego starwarsII.. 42" screen they dont need to be close.

the filters are needed as part of using the DVE dvd to tune the setup of the set to get the colours, brightness and contrast etc. set correctly. (you look at a certain test patern through a coloured filter to adjust red green etc.)

I hope the 1080p update is free?

Yes I belive it is free, its for the HD-DVD launch.

Where did you get this DVE kit from?

ebay search for DVE dvd.

hope the xbox update wont be dependant on buying the HDdvd addon :-(

am i right in saying this set does 1:1 pixel mapping at 1920x1080 from a pc??
can you adjust the backlight while you are in pc mode?
from the specs it sounds fantastic especially for the price.

Here go's
pip4position.jpg

pip3large.jpg

pip2medium.jpg

pip1small.jpg

Freeview1.jpg

pcandfreeview.jpg

PC1.jpg

pop1.jpg

xbox720.jpg

xboxtv.jpg

remote1.jpg

remote2.jpg

Sorry about the fuzziness of the pics, My hands not too steady this morning:oops:

Looking good, I will get some photos up if I ever get mine, hopfully tomorow.

What were you running your xbox on? 1080i via component?

Scott

have you tried putting laptop settings for external vga so that the laptops own screen is off? this is the only way i can get mine to have the external monitor running at 1920x1080. else it will match the two at the lowest common resolution supported.

;)

Yup, The 360 is on 1080i via Component. Not sure about the laptop - I have the laptop screen off whilst connected & the TV as Primary display (I think).

It will let me do all sorts of resolutions higher than 1920x1080 (tried a few but were "unsupported" but no 1920x1080 anywhere, I thought I had added that as a custom resolution in Powerstrip but who knows?

I'll go and have another go.

I managed to get 1600x1200 working on the TV when I extend my laptop desktop onto it but still no 1920x1080. I think I prefer the lower res to be honest as I can sit further away from the set.

Yup, The 360 is on 1080i via Component. Not sure about the laptop - I have the laptop screen off whilst connected & the TV as Primary display (I think).

It will let me do all sorts of resolutions higher than 1920x1080 (tried a few but were "unsupported" but no 1920x1080 anywhere, I thought I had added that as a custom resolution in Powerstrip but who knows?

Have you connected the laptop into the VGA socket?

Im trying to work out how I will do this. I dont really want a long wire trailing from my TV to my couch.

Any ways to do this using wireless?

Or is it a case of leaving your laptop near the TV and using a wirelss keyboard and mouse?

I have forgot to ask does this TV come with a stand?

Scott

Thanks Bepto,

The photos look good. The picture in picture and picture by picture features look good. On some TV's these pnp/pip features do not work with all inputs, so your photos are welcome.

The XBox360 looks particularly sharp, some XBox360 owners on the Sony X series thread have prefered 720p output, with the TV scaling to 1080p, it may be worth a go. Once the XBox360 has 1080p output I think it will look even better on your TV (no de-interlacing process from 1080i).

Thanks again for your photos.

It may be worth looking at the PS forums, or avsforum.com for help with the laptop 1920x1080 output. Have you tried with the standard drivers to allow all resolutions (even unsupported ones), the laptops screen may be limiting your options.

The pq looks good with fairly uniform backlighting, I've seen 37WLT66 recently which had a aweful band down the middle of the screen.

yes the banding thing was one of the first things I looked for, but even with the backlight down at about 40% I couldnt see any uneven lighting. :D

so far so good. will get a chance to give the xbox a go myself this week now kids wont be on it :rotfl:

Scott - I connected the laptop via vga-vga lead and sat so obviously you are restricted to the length of the lead. I think you can get 5/10m leads so no problem there.

I have ordedered a keysonic wireless keyboard/touchpad http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/104608/rb/22444685743 & plan to leave the laptop near the TV and use this from the couch. Longterm plan is to set up a htpc but that's a ways off yet.

Yes the set comes with a stand which is silver for some reason, I dont think it looks very good but thats just my opinion, I plan to wallmount anyway.

Rocky - I love the pip functionality of this set & its so easy to use too. To be honest I cant really see any difference between 720 & 1080 on the xbox anyway. I would like to see the PC @ 1920x1080 so will keep fiddling but to be honest its just fine for me @ 1020x768 cos I can sit on the couch & read the text just fine at that res.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom