goodmans GTVL42W15HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can I test that? :confused:
I'm not sure that you can until you can get a true 1080p/50 source. I'm not sure who actually makes this for Goodmans, probably produced in China, but I believe this contains the same 42" panel from CMO which is also used in the new Amoi and Westinghouse models.

Ive no idea, although the harmony techs did say it was usung samsung codes when they did the remote setup for me, so theres some samsung in there too lol

Ive no idea, although the harmony techs did say it was usung samsung codes when they did the remote setup for me, so theres some samsung in there too lol
It should say on the box where it was actually made but for reference only the two Taiwanese manufacturers AUO and CMO are producing 42" 1920x1080 panels at the moment. You never know, it may even be the same LCD panel that's going in the new Sharp LC42XD1E.

cant see all the labels on the back, but i can see one says assembled in europe.

the panel itself has viewing angle of 176 degrees response 6.5ms and 16.7M colours

I'd be interested in this set - it was reviewed a few weeks ago in one of the High st home cinema magazines - I seem to recall maybe it was What Hi-fi -

They didn't rate it too well, but I don't think they're that well regarded in their reviews anyway! Got two or three stars I recall..

Basically looking for the ability to display full resolution via the different inputs as well...

intresting. I would imagine as a standalone TV someone like what Hi-fi will point to fact the TV tuner is analogue as negatives. For what Im using it for - just a display - I have to say its excellent.

also have to say Im glad I got the DVE dvd to setup the display, makes a big difference.

Im may go have a look at makro today.

I have recently got an xbox 360, would be nice to see it in HD.

I hope this TV is 1080P but it seems too cheap for that.

Its sending alarm bells ringing in my head but I want to believe!

Hi, it was definitely 1080p - the review confirmed this, but as I recall, they had issues with the sets motion smearing and grey blacks and not all the detail it should have been, given the resolution...

I'll see if I still have the magazine tucked away somewhere.

i would say the smearing is non existent,especially with the 360,and my lg prog scan dvd player..ive tried GRAW,dead rising,cod2,tiger woods,table tennis,geometry wars,galaga,and lots more,and the only one i was bothered about was GRAW(jungle scenes,forests,lots of earthy colors.),which passed for me with flying colors.
grey black levels...nah..dvd,graw,cod2,and dead rising never gave me that problem.
i did find the microsoft vga cable was a better overall picture than the m$hidef av pack..
ive used rgb scarts with a cheap dvd player,its fine,used a plain old vhs player,that too was fine-ish..glad video has progressed lol..
not tried the laptop,as it needs memory,last ram went pop!.
as for the 1080p xbox 360..i beleive that update is quite soon,and so is the xbox 360 hddvd add-on,which ill be getting,so i dont see why people keep going on about "the ps3"..1080p should be here before that ever sees europes shores..
im just very happy that i got nearly £500 off a £1500 tv,and now other people are going to get bargains too..for less than £1k,you cant grumble..but i guess people will..:D

I found the colours etc. very bright ... showroom settings. I expect the what hifi reports took a standard set and used it out of the box. In which casse they are not only fools but wernt getting the best out of the display. I have adjusted mine with a DVE disk and It is fatastic.

Lastnight as a test I took one of my pictures taken with an old HP digital camera , cropped it to 1920x1080 and put it up on screen. I sat 2 feet from the screen and the image was crystal sharp. amazing. thi s is proof enough for me that for my needs this set is great value and performs really well.

I will (when the right on is available) buy a good AV upscaling amp and run everything into the set over a single connection, will use DVI, VGA or HDMI.

ass for picture quality? the inbuilt analogue TV tuner gives a better picture than my sky+box. everything else is running into it as composite on scart via cheap cables, nothing special. And for me (now its adjusted correctly) I am more than happy with it.

If you want the best picture image for old formats and inputs then Im sure there are sets out there that have more expensive and better components to do SD better, however if you are working towards a 1080p future and are happy with a set that delivers good SD now and afaic great 1080p then you should consider this set. I'd say especially for PC use and gamers, today its a great choice.

Can you guys post some pictures of the set

thanks

lxdirect have it for £1199.

http://www.lxdirect.com/rf/navigati...em_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=346315067#

This "potentially" could be reduced to £1030ish with Quidco 4.5% discount, and rpoints and mse listed lxdirect 10% off voucher.

http://www.quidco.com/lx-direct/

http://www.rpoints.com/v0/index.php?&m=v&id=4498&l=0,300

lxdirect 10% off may only be for existing customers:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=276515&highlight=lxdirect

Perhaps lxdirect do not have the best feedback regarding vouchers:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=265385&highlight=lxdirect

Or Quidco tracking...............the joys of the intermerwebthingy....information overload, anyway if it looks too good to be true then maybe ...it is (the lxdirect discount I mean, not the TV).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=2882043&postcount=471

ok I have tried the powerstrip thing.

I set it at 50Hz using one of the predefined display settings listed. The display auto adjusted ok and image was stable. It was slightly fuzzy however, so i dont know if that was the display or my cheap laptop video card. If it were the display Id guess that it wouldnt work :confused:

will have another go at weekend when I get chance to see if its something I was doing wrong, as I have no idea about the settings on this software.

Does anyone have any pics of the set in action ?

Whats an SD picture like ? ( I currently run freeview/sky via a htpc)

thanks.

Went into Makro in Hull this afternoon, the guy on the electronics desk said 'they get sold straight away'.

I should have asked if he is getting anymore in. I will call Leeds makro in the morning.

So has it been solved? Does this TV support "true" 1080P??

Scott

the speakers arent detachable
and it is 1080p.**

**if it were a printing error,i could see it being in the manual,but on the box,manual,leaflets,internet,and 2 times i phoned up goodmans,2 different people have said it,couple that with DD3 and his pc test..

It does sound good but why so cheap?

Im a firm beliver in buy cheap buy twice, Im hoping this is the TV I want to go with my Xbox 360. I assume it can take 1080P via componet?

Do DD3 or RottenFox, do either of you have any photos of the set running from a HD source?

Thanks

the only 2 things i dont have right now are
1.ram for my lappy...sony and there RMA's.
2.a digital camera,my daughters off for 4 days with her school(an activity weekend),only thing ive got is a dv camera,and unfortunatly my card reader is built into my laptop.

xbox 360 only does 1080i and 720 just now,the 1080p update is a month or 2 away.
goodmans say its 1080p,what hifi say it is,so does the book,box,etc.
and as for cheap,with prices from bout £900-£1400,its a mixed bag..i paid just over £1000 for mine,and would have paid up to about £1200,as personally i think its worth it.
when i get my camera back,ill post some pics,as ive been dying to.

the only 2 things i dont have right now are
1.ram for my lappy...sony and there RMA's.
2.a digital camera,my daughters off for 4 days with her school(an activity weekend),only thing ive got is a dv camera,and unfortunatly my card reader is built into my laptop.

xbox 360 only does 1080i and 720 just now,the 1080p update is a month or 2 away.
goodmans say its 1080p,what hifi say it is,so does the book,box,etc.
and as for cheap,with prices from bout £900-£1400,its a mixed bag..i paid just over £1000 for mine,and would have paid up to about £1200,as personally i think its worth it.
when i get my camera back,ill post some pics,as ive been dying to.

Apart from Makro who else is selling this TV at a goodp price?

I think I have missed the boat with makro!

ok best I can do on pic front is a still from my laptop I guess to give a feel of the picture HD can achieve... I will try and catch it with the screen resolution showing if I can. should I be taking the picture from 'watching' distance? say 8 feet away?

Ok Im no david bailey lol. but here is a pic. I set the laptop to 1920x1080.
then I took a pic I took 3 years ago on a HP digital camera and croped it to 1920x1080 and put it on a slideshow fullscreen. The blue bar at the bottom is my windows taskbar which is set to autohide and always ontop forgot to turn it off.

picture taken using a canon powershot pro1 camera, no flash and on auto. the file is as it came out the camera except i had to resize it to allow upload onto here. It was taken in the dark. the pic does seem to have a blue tinge which is definitely something to do with the camera i think as it doesnt have that in real life.

any advice on how to take the best pic of a tv gratefully received lol

Attachments

• Picture2 001.jpg
    Picture2 001.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 612
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom