goodmans GTVL42W15HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD3

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so Im tempted by this 42" LCD seems a decent TV from what little I know but thought Id ask the experts on here for opinions.

£1175 wondering if its a reasonable buy.

Any and all advise appreciated.

ps... Ive searched web and cant find much about this display at all.. is it fairly new?

ok so have the tv, set it up and have to say so far Im impressed.

picture image is as good as I had hoped, no 'broken' pixels, clear bright sharp etc.

seems to have all the bells and whistles, supports 1080p (screen resolution is 1920? x 1080) has all the inputs I could need and more, does pip/split screen, only slight downside is it has analogue tv tuner as opposed to digital, but a minor thing really.

response time of the LCD according to manual is 6.5ms is this ok?

(other specs contrast 1000:1, brightness 550)

looking around Im fairly sure it a good buy and surprised I cant find much about it online anywhere.

anyone have any views on above :lease:

I would be interested in peoples views on this set, It is in the latest Makro mail @ £899 + VAT which seems a good price if the TV is any good.

Theses not much on the web about it, It's not even mentioned on the Goodmans site. All the Makro mail says is 1000:1 Contrast ratio, 1920x1080 res, PIP, 2x Scarts, 1x HDMI.

Is it wall mountable? Does it do 1:1 Pixel mapping? What other connections does it have etc.

Cheers,
Paul.

hi..ive been chatting with DD3 since last week via pm on here about that tv.
i got mine last week..as my dad bought 2.
hes very happy with his,im very happy with mine.
picture is very sharp,xbox 360 looks freaking awesome.
vga supports lots of resolutions,
1xhdmi,dvi,component,composite,rgb scarts.
sounds good too.
1920x1080 resolution
picture is nice,bright.
picture in picture is good...split screen for 360 and football
it is wall/unit mountable,but ive kept mine on the pedastol stand it comes with,on a glass unit.
its look is actually not a million miles away from my jetway 19"pc monitor.
makro seem cheaper than what we got ours for,and even with the slightly higher price we paid for ours..its a real bargain.
i went looking for a tv similar,and theres not much under the £1500 mark,in fact,some had some features,and other models had different ones,but i never saw one that had the same as this,coupled with the high resolution panel.

Thanks for that, I am seriously considering this set now. Am going to our local Makro this PM to see if they have any in stock so I can take a look at it.

The offer for £899 + VAT starts on the 11th so cant buy yet.

I am curious why there is so little info out there about this TV though, is it another make re-badged by Goodmans perhaps?

Have either of you tried connecting a PC to it yet?

Cheers,
Paul.

no i havent tried to connect a pc yet,but i would say that the 360 wouldnt be a million miles away from it..and thats impressive,in component,and VGA.
even RGB scart with the 360 was nice..
as a rebadged tv..im not sure about that,but our old goodmans tv in our kids room,was the same as a sharp,akai,and a samsung crt..
all 3 were identical inside,as they all had the same tube problems,and minor case changes,and logos.--all bought from comet.
so id be inclined to think it may be.
havent managed to look into the back of it to find out what panel is in there,but with 1920x1080,it must be a semi decent one..
lol..i found this site..
http://www.albaplc.com/html/Products.htm
but dear lord..i hope its not a "nicky clarke,jcb or breville" panel..pmsl.:D

Just had a look in Makro, it's a nice looking set - very big. Do you know the dimensions (width / Hieght ) cos I'm not sure if it will fit where I plan to put it.

Picture looked as good as the other sets in there - they were showing a DVD of Nemo I think.

From what I could see (as there are no spec details available in store) its got DVI, HDMI. RGB, Component, 2x Scarts.

They (Makro) dont allow reserving of items that are on offer so its a first come first served basis starting on Weds 11th (my store has 6x in stock). I might have to take the day off :thumbsup:

the goodmans help line are a waste of space as this seems to be a very new set.

however it seems the underlying technology is samsung. Had issues with my harmony remote which meant talking to logitec and they said the codes it was using inticated it was a samsung display.

one thing about makro... you can buy and have 28 days to return it as long as you kee the packaging.

another tip. make sure there are two of you to unpack and setup and you have a big enough car. ;)

Yes, I was reading about the returns procedure while I was in there, Gives me a chance to audition the set at home & take back if not satisfied. They also have a 37" Daewoo @ £599 which looked ok if the 42" doesn't suit.

As for the car, well its a meriva - will it fit with the seats down?

yeh it should..mine fitted in a citroen BX---not much bigger than an astra,with the back seats down..at a slight angle..**extra tank of fuel+kids seat --isnt east to remove,so i left in place..
as for being samsung based..i would say thats a good thing..but strikes me as strange,as i havent spotted a sammy with a 1920x1080 display..
as for 37" vs 42".....go for the 42"....MAKE IT FIT!!!!:lease: :thumbsup:

**i told DD3 about my goodmans helpline exp..and they werent even aware it was 1920x1080..and with its connections,that surprised them too..

Yes, I was reading about the returns procedure while I was in there, Gives me a chance to audition the set at home & take back if not satisfied. They also have a 37" Daewoo @ £599 which looked ok if the 42" doesn't suit.

As for the car, well its a meriva - will it fit with the seats down?

take a tape measure with you. measure the width of the back etc. before you go in and measure the box when you are in there to be sure.

gl

Bah!! Useless Makro, Six units on order but none turned up at my local store. I have to wait till Satturday now to see if they have arrived (& not sold out - I can't get in b4 that).

Is this set full HD by the way, 1080p?

Cheers,
Paul.

well the display is 1920x1080 and the manual says 1080p on component and HDMI and VGA inputs so I can only assume so lol.... once I have an output thats capable of 1080p i will be able to prove it :smashin:

EDIT: ok so just for you popped the laptop onto the VGA input. display adapter detected monitor resolution 1920x1080 with max refresh rate of 75Hz. :D TV indicated it was operating at 1920x1080 and had word FULL onscreen too .

nice..more joyous news for me..
laptops not got any ram in it...Blooming sony and there RMA service..waiting on more..last time i buy a vaio.
good to hear that about the display though,laptops about the only thing i havent plugged into mine.

@Bepto...hope its good news for you,have makro phone other stores,and pay for it at that store if possible,either go pick it up(worth it IMO) or have them redirect to store..its not the store your buying it from,its the company...as a recent wrangle with a bed company taught me..the old "oh we dont have that..youll have to wait and pay for delivery,or go buy it from another branch.."
comet,currys and other stores do it,cant see why makro cant!

Aha!!

Does that mean that the PC connected to this thing is S**t hot, thats one of the main reaons for me considering it.

As it stands with my dissapointment at Makro today, I had come to the conclusion that It was a choice between the Goodmans ( providing they have stock on Saturday).

Or the Mirai 37" which can be had for £603 ish in VAT online -some good reports about it, & would have enough £ left over for a xbox 360 bundle with a couple of games for the same price as the Goodmans.

Unbiased opinions please!

Ta.
Paul.

well the mirai is 5" smaller and not 1080p, and has panel response time of 8ms vs 6.5 for the goodmans.

many on here rate the mirai though so Im sure they are good too, but the screen size when considering PC use 13xx x 76x pixels.... is about half that of the 1920x1080p which means you can do less on the screen.

I went for the goodmans because it was within budget over 40" (which I wanted), was 1080p for gaming/pc and (which i wanted)

Its TV abilities were secondary to me in that it is my intention to always have an AV receiver and not to use it for anything other than a display for the various components which will eventually be digital end to end upscaled or at 1080p and not require 'processing' of pictures in the tv. (like a pc input is)

I have to say I was very pleased with the display running from pc. I played a Divx file I downloaded 45mins (340Mb file) and the picture quality from my dell laptop was impressive considering its not dvd quality. (played using videoLAN) I havent tried a dvd yet.

hope this helps.

Right, I reckon I'm going with the Goodmans providing they have stock on Saturday.

I almost gave in to the Mirai & Phoned pixmania to see when the set would be delivered if ordered today. I was told Tues or Weds of next week (even though they have it in stock). If they could have got it to me for the weekend I would have gone ahead - I'm so impatient.:clap:

There will be trouble in Makro on Saturday morning if all 6 are sold or none have turned up yet.

Forgot to ask you guys about the wallmount, is it standard vesa?

Can someone who has one please confirm the following:

Does it have 1x VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component inputs, i.e all seperate?
If it has DVI, can it run 1920x1080 over it?
Is that bottom speaker detachable by any chance?
Are there seperate AV input buttons on the remote or do you cycle inputs?
Are there any fans/noise from the set?

Thanks in advance! :clap:

Does it have 1x VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component inputs, i.e all seperate?

Yes plus a couple of scart inputs that also do RGB.

If it has DVI, can it run 1920x1080 over it?
it definitely can through the HDMI VGA and component so I would expect the DVI would be no different. although I have no way of testing it for you.

Is that bottom speaker detachable by any chance?

Not sure, I thought about it too, however there is a metal U shaped support runs through it and up into the top part so would be difficult if it is possible at all. The stand comes off easily.. mine never made it out fo the box.:D

Are there seperate AV input buttons on the remote or do you cycle inputs?

in total there are 10 different input options including the tuner, so no, however there are 4 different buttons which control/cycle the inputs. one to select TV. then one for PC/HDMI/DVI one for AV/SV/component and one for Scart 1/2/2s. I have a Harmony Remote and a quick cal to their support and they created all the codes correctly so it can swap between activities perfectly.

Are there any fans/noise from the set?

No fans I know of.... totally quiet operation so far and it has been well used :D

Can it accept 1080p/50 via any of it inputs and how have your proved it?

I have personally proven 1080p via the vga input. this comes up as 1080 full on pc says it is running display at 60Hz... dont think I can make my pc change to 50hz.

my dvd only does 1080i and this comes up as 1080i on the hdmi input on the TV.

component input specifically mentions 1080p in the manual.

Think Rottenfox is connecting an Xbox at 1080p soon. Im waiting for the PS3.

I have personally proven 1080p via the vga input. this comes up as 1080 full on pc says it is running display at 60Hz... dont think I can make my pc change to 50hz.

my dvd only does 1080i and this comes up as 1080i on the hdmi input on the TV.

component input specifically mentions 1080p in the manual.

Think Rottenfox is connecting an Xbox at 1080p soon. Im waiting for the PS3.
If it doesn't accept 1080p/50 then IMO its not a proper 1080p display like the new Sharps and Sonys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom