Goodmans GDVD300R

D

djb215

Hi all

Purchased (now known to be a foolish move!) a Goodmans GDVD300R.
I had to do lots of problem solving to get it to work properly, but I have hit one final snag.

The unit only records onto DVD+R or DVD+RW.
I have bought 2 sets of DVD+RW Discs, both of them fail to record properly, these were Maxell and TDK. When the recording finishes, I press stop and the WAIT comes up, and then when it is done it will display the source (ie SCART or Prg001).

I press TV/DVDR to go into DVD mode and it starts to read but then simply says "Unexpected power failure during last recording (there was not!) Recovering..." that takes a while and when it finally finishes, it either, (a) Stops working and crashes the unit, (b) Looks as if it has restored the program on the disc menu but won't play, or (c) Restores an old recording recorded earlier in the day!

However, I recently received a Sony DVD+RW disc which works fine. It is gold, single layer, 4.7GB, 120min, has AccuCORE etc... and the model of the disc is Sony DPW120AD2.

Firstly, does anybody know if I am going wrong somewhere in purchasing? This sony disc does look as if it would cost £10 per disk!

Secondly, is anyone able to provide a possible technical answer to the problem? Realistically I can't afford to replace the recorder, but I need to purchase at least one or two other working discs.

Thirdly, those that own a GDVD300R, could you tell me any DVD+RW brands that work 100% of the time that you use? Again, I need to purchase one or two more DVD+RW discs that work so that I have enough to record on.

By the way, I am recording on SP mode.

One more thing, strange really, I bought x2 spindles of Tesco's own brand DVD+R discs (BOGOF, buy one get one free :clap: ) and when I converted a VHS Tape onto one of these DVD+R discs, it was perfectly fine! Tesco is not a premium brand and the disc works, but it doesn't like cheap DVD+RW discs???! :lease:

Thanks for any help!

ad47uk

Novice Member
djb215 said:
Hi all

Purchased (now known to be a foolish move!) a Goodmans GDVD300R.
I had to do lots of problem solving to get it to work properly, but I have hit one final snag.

The unit only records onto DVD+R or DVD+RW.
I have bought 2 sets of DVD+RW Discs, both of them fail to record properly, these were Maxell and TDK. When the recording finishes, I press stop and the WAIT comes up, and then when it is done it will display the source (ie SCART or Prg001).

I press TV/DVDR to go into DVD mode and it starts to read but then simply says "Unexpected power failure during last recording (there was not!) Recovering..." that takes a while and when it finally finishes, it either, (a) Stops working and crashes the unit, (b) Looks as if it has restored the program on the disc menu but won't play, or (c) Restores an old recording recorded earlier in the day!

However, I recently received a Sony DVD+RW disc which works fine. It is gold, single layer, 4.7GB, 120min, has AccuCORE etc... and the model of the disc is Sony DPW120AD2.

Firstly, does anybody know if I am going wrong somewhere in purchasing? This sony disc does look as if it would cost £10 per disk!

Secondly, is anyone able to provide a possible technical answer to the problem? Realistically I can't afford to replace the recorder, but I need to purchase at least one or two other working discs.

Thirdly, those that own a GDVD300R, could you tell me any DVD+RW brands that work 100% of the time that you use? Again, I need to purchase one or two more DVD+RW discs that work so that I have enough to record on.

By the way, I am recording on SP mode.

One more thing, strange really, I bought x2 spindles of Tesco's own brand DVD+R discs (BOGOF, buy one get one free :clap: ) and when I converted a VHS Tape onto one of these DVD+R discs, it was perfectly fine! Tesco is not a premium brand and the disc works, but it doesn't like cheap DVD+RW discs???! :lease:

Thanks for any help!

Tescos disks are pretty good, just don't tell my boss I said that :) A mate ofg mine uses Tescos disks with his LG dvd recorder and they are the only ones that work all the time.

I suppose I better tell you the bad news, the GDVD300R is a load of rubbish, I have got one standing up on its end, next to where I am sitting now, I had all the problems you are having, a another mate of mine also purchased the same unit and had the same problems, neither of us, have found any disks that will work 100% of the time. It do not matter what quality mode you are using for recording, it will not make one difference. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I was so fed up with mine and got myself a Pioneer, my mate also got one a few weeks after.

I think the GDVD300R was a converted PVR, looking inside it as it have more or less a bog standard computer DVD recorder inside and it looks like a bog standard IED connection, so I suppose, with a change of firmware and if they had a hard drive inside, then it would be a Pvr.

P

phillip.wilson2

I bought a refurbished GDVD300r back in October. After messing about and learning how to use it and thinking I had bought CRAP DVD+RW disks I have come to the conclusion that the DVD optical hardware is NAFF.
I have used Imation and Maxell 4x discs which all heve mostly worked quite well on the FIRST write but most refuse to work properly for re-write !
On the second (or more, re-write) recordings the disc jumps with recording errors and often displays the old info at the points during playback and old thumbnails- hence it may be OK for write-once but is total rubish for re-write.
Also it is has built in skip technology, which often just stops the playback, you just can not continue to watch the recording as the machine kicks you back to the menu.

I WANT MY VCR BACK ? At least I could watch the rest of the recording after a minor record error ! ! !
:nono:

Are they all so unreliable or is it just mine ?:mad:

D

djb215

I eventually got it to work properly!

I use Tesco DVD+R discs when I need DVD+R discs, but I have purchased some Sony DVD+RW Discs. I will list the features, some of which I have no idea what they mean, but the discs work perfectly!

Sony DVD+RW
4.7GB/120min
1x-4x Speed
AccuCORE (?)
Temperature Adaptability*
Archival Reliability*
Disc Model: DPW120AD2 - in cases, Gold Discs

I think the Temperature Adaptability and the Archival Reliability may be what is making the disks work on the GDVD300R

Graham_G

Novice Member
Hi All, just been given a GDVD300R to fix or throw away, as I see fit.

It's suffering from some strange problems, tray refusing to come out, user interface working badly or intermittently. Apparently these problems were occasional at first and then gradually got worse.

I haven't attempted to fix it yet, but what I have immediately noticed is that the voltages being produced by the internal switched-mode power supply are way out of whack. (12V = 15+ volts, 5V = 4.1V). In the earlier stages, a slowly dying power supply could certainly be responsible for messages like 'Unexpected Power Failure' as it struggles to supply the needs of the recorder.

With no information or circuit diagram, the usual cure for a switched-mode PSU which is 'working but wonky' is to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors on the PSU PCB (with suitable replacements, which means high temperature, low-ESR types). There are only 11 on the output side of the PCB, of which 3 are the likely suspects given their close proximity to a heatsink.

I'll change the ones on mine and post a follow up to let you know what happens.

-Graham_G

**Update**

OK, well, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that changing the three large value capacitors on the low voltage side of the PSU PCB (with appropriate replacements) got the unit up and running: The supply voltages are back to normal and the unit works fine, or at least as well as I imagine it ever did.

The bad news is that the replacement capacitors can not, in my view, survive longer than about 1-2 years because they will get roasted by the heat from the nearby device on the right angled heatsink. That is all too obviously what happened to the original capacitors, and is highly likely to happen to every other GDVD300R with this same type of power supply. Needless to say, this is a pretty serious design flaw.

The only way to fix it for good will be to move the device and its heatsink off the board so it doesn't bake the capacitors. This is not an impossible task as the heatsink happens to be referenced (connected to) the chassis and so it could be bolted to the unit's chassis and short flying leads taken to the leads of the device.

That aside, the unit does not work too badly for now, although I have noticed that when the DVD drive is running (ie, when the unit is recording) there is slight interference to the received video from the inbuilt tuner - this takes the form of the picture being lightened and darkened slightly in broad horizontal bands. Unfortunately, this interference also shows up on recordings made from the inbuilt tuner. Personally, I don't think I could live with it.

For the reasons given above, I'm sorry to have to say that prospective buyers of this model should avoid it like the plague.

-Graham_G

A

Analogue

ad47uk said:
Tescos disks are pretty good, just don't tell my boss I said that :) A mate ofg mine uses Tescos disks with his LG dvd recorder and they are the only ones that work all the time.

Tescos DVD recordable discs are very variable from batch to batch. If you use DVDIdentifier you can find out where they come from. The ones I have bought have varied from the very best to the very worst reputation source. This correlates with my experience with the former (+RW's) which are 100% still in service after at least 10 rewrites/reformats per disc and 10% (+R's) which are largely in the bin. I have subsequently bought more +RW's which DVDIdentifier says are from a different supplier whose rating is middling but have only tried 2 so far with no trouble.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom