Goodmans GDVD300R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bales1983, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Ive read a few comments about the Goodmans GDVD300R on this forum, all in all its made out to be a terrible excuse for a DVD recorder, Now were after a cheap DVD recorder (making the move from VHS) I know it doesnt have all the good points and the Liteon or Panny E55 would be better but considering these points:

A) Not transferring anything from VHS to dvd
    B) Not copying DVDs so the ability to record RGB wouldnt matter that much
    C) Just gonna be used exactly as our VHS is (ie recording corrie when we are out).

As we are used to having a cheap 2 head VHS on a normal RF lead, would this DVD recorder work for us? I hear the playback quality for dvd's is ok, obviously just need to know if the recording quality would be the same as or better than VHS.

Thanks for constructive comments guys

Lee

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Assuming the Goodmans allows you to choose from a selection of recording modes, I'd be very surprised if the recordings made in the "2 hours per DVD" mode were not considerably better than any VHS recording. Trying to squeeze in more than 2 hours will probably give much poorer results.

I've played safe by going for the panasonic E55 but if you can get the Goodmans for a really good price it may be all you need.

3. kanga

kanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The goodmans is great as long as you don't want to swap discs with friends. Your disc may not work in their player (it's not very compatible). Fine tune the channels after the auto tune to get the best picture and you'll find the 4 hour mode quite acceptable. (You may well find the 6hr mode ok for you). If you've got a freeview box it makes VERY good recordings. Hope this helps.

4. Complete Novice

Complete Novice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents are having trouble with theirs. When they record a programme it appears to be fine, however, when they play it back it misses out five minute chunks of programme - if they search backwards they see that the whole of the programme has been recorded but it just won;t play it all. I t says READ ERROR on the screen.
    Anybody able to give me any advice?