goodmans freesat+ gfsdtr320hd

finellie

Standard Member
can any one help i have a goodmans freesat+ gfsdtr320hd and a polaroid full hd lcd tv when i connect my freesat to tv via hdmi lead theres picture but no sound it comes through as a dvi the tv has 3 hdmi ports i have tried all 3 with different hdmi leads the same 3 ports and the same leads work fine with dvd player so nothing wrong with ports on tv, freesat works through scart but want it through hdmi lead obviously for hd can anyone help p:lease:please :(

logiciel

Welcome to the forum.
I don't know why the audio isn't working by HDMI but have you tried connecting it some other way, with the video still by HDMI?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Try turning up the box volume using it's own remote.

finellie

Standard Member
volume is up on freesat box, have connected box via scart that works connected box back to other tv that works its streaming through as a dvi i have a opctical on back of freesat but not tv and have rca on tv but not freesat its strange 1 thx

Last edited:

finellie

Standard Member
when i switch tv to hdmi source to watch sat the source changes to dvi for some reason been in both tv and sat put tv on hdmi port cant find nothing in sat menu about hdmi pictures going through so something is there sorry there is in sat menu it is on hdmi output 1080i

Last edited:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
when i switch tv to hdmi source to watch sat the source changes to dvi for some reason been in both tv and sat put tv on hdmi port cant find nothing in sat menu about hdmi pictures going through so something is there sorry there is in sat menu it is on hdmi output 1080i

Completely lost, DVI and HDMI are the same video connections. DVI is a different plug and with TV's needs a seperate audio cable. Are you connecting to a DVI socket on the TV

DVI Guide - Connectors and Cables Explained | Tips | Support | LINDY UK

or a HDMI socket ?

HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is the cable you are using HDMI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI ?

finellie

Standard Member
the lead is hdmi to hdmi, i have put hdmi lead in back of sat connected to hdmi on tv i just don't understand that the tv is saying on screen that its a dvi, im confused too with tv being 3d i also bought a hdmi 3d compatible and tried that didn't work and have tried all 3 hdmi ports on tv i put tv on hdmi in menu also sat menu hdmi out 1080i just dont know what is happening thought it would just work with hdmi lead thx again

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
the lead is hdmi to hdmi, i have put hdmi lead in back of sat connected to hdmi on tv i just don't understand that the tv is saying on screen that its a dvi, im confused too with tv being 3d i also bought a hdmi 3d compatible and tried that didn't work and have tried all 3 hdmi ports on tv i put tv on hdmi in menu also sat menu hdmi out 1080i just dont know what is happening thought it would just work with hdmi lead thx again

You originally said you can get a picture but no audio. Is that by HDMI ?. If so does changing from a HD to a SD channel make any difference ?

finellie

Standard Member
yes thats by hmdi, im not really up on these things how do i check that, if u mean getting sound + picture by any other means rather than hdmi lead yes they are working

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
yes thats by hmdi, im not really up on these things how do i check that, if u mean getting sound + picture by any other means rather than hdmi lead yes they are working

Did you try watching both a HD channel and an SD one when you had video using HDMI ?. They use a different sound compression system.

finellie

Standard Member
you're losing me i have just tried bbc one hd no sound and normal bbc still the same if thats what you meant through hdmi sorry if im not getting it

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
you're losing me i have just tried bbc one hd no sound and normal bbc still the same if thats what you meant through hdmi sorry if im not getting it

Yes that's what I meant. It was possible the TV had a problem with Dolby Digital audio that you get on HD channels.

Can you make a recording and then try the box on another TV with hdmi in (perhaps a friends) to see if you can hear the recording ? You may have a faulty box.

finellie

Standard Member
thx will give that a go later i will come back later when i get an answer thx for all your help, stephanie

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
I've never seen a TV have a DVI mode when they are HDMI inputs but it does rather suggest it could be using another input for the sound....

Would also be worth trying the Grundig on another TV via HDMI if possible as they not known for their quality and reliability. :D

logiciel

rca on tv but not freesat
You could take the audio from the Freesat machine by its Scart Out socket, using a converter to phono sockets, and connect those to the TV's equivalent sockets.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
You could take the audio from the Freesat machine by its Scart Out socket, using a converter to phono sockets, and connect those to the TV's equivalent sockets.

How would you be able to listen while the appropriate hdmi input was selected :confused:

TV's aren't like AV amps you normally can't elect to take audio from 1 input and video from another.

cyclic

Standard Member
finellie,
On goodman,
In menu -> settings -> hdmi
you could try toggling the audio setting
(hdmi/spdif/sterodownmix)

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
finellie,
On goodman,
In menu -> settings -> hdmi
you could try toggling the audio setting
(hdmi/spdif/sterodownmix)

Which will only affect the HD channels, that's why I asked about any difference between HD and SD. SD channels already output lpcm stereo.

cyclic

Standard Member
Graham,
I understand your HD/SD issue, compression codecs and note the test results that the OP posted.

My comments instead relate to the issue of how things are connected and the resultant necessary audio routing.

I quote:
"HDMI Audio.
If your Digital TV Recorder is connected to your surround sound system using HDMI, choose the Dolby Digital setting.
If your Digital TV Recorder is connected to your surround sound system using SPDIF or Optical connections use the Stereo Downmix setting"

I am suggesting that the setting may be set to route via SPDIF and that in this implementation, the wording implies that this will stop audio being routed to the HDMI.

I would assume that the routeing would be constant for HD & SD even if they had different audio codecs.

Hence I would suggest that "finellie" tries toggling the setting.
It may help - it may not...

logiciel

TV's aren't like AV amps you normally can't elect to take audio from 1 input and video from another.
Correst but this TV is not normal, as it's claiming to be getting DVI video, and as you and kevkbuk have already said that would need a separate audio input.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Graham,
I understand your HD/SD issue, compression codecs and note the test results that the OP posted.

My comments instead relate to the issue of how things are connected and the resultant necessary audio routing.

I quote:
"HDMI Audio.
If your Digital TV Recorder is connected to your surround sound system using HDMI, choose the Dolby Digital setting.
If your Digital TV Recorder is connected to your surround sound system using SPDIF or Optical connections use the Stereo Downmix setting"

I am suggesting that the setting may be set to route via SPDIF and that in this implementation, the wording implies that this will stop audio being routed to the HDMI.

I would assume that the routeing would be constant for HD & SD even if they had different audio codecs.

Hence I would suggest that "finellie" tries toggling the setting.
It may help - it may not...

The advice is pure rubbish. S/pdif is perfectly capable of Ac3 5.1 (or even the superior DTS 5.1 codec), provided the amplifier has the required decoder (ac3 or dts)

My foxsat uses S/Pdif to deliver full surround when available to my Denon amp. You can't surely be suggesting that a Harvard based box, poor as they are doesn't do the same. If so the digital audio S/Pdif output would be pointless. You might just as well use an analogue stereo output.

For a SD channel there is nothing to downmix, its already pcm stereo.

SD transmissions have mp2 (mpeg1 layer 2) audio in the transmission, the box outputs lpcm stereo from the audio decoder (the same as you get from a CD player). Basically the one digital audio standard that most anything will work with.

HD satellite transmissions use Dolby Digital (ac3) either 2.0 (stereo) or 5.1 surround. (not so for Freeview-HD which use aac audio)

Selecting the downmix option converts these to lpcm stereo (2.0), exactly the same as you get from a SD channel.

If SD channels produce no audio then selecting the option won't change what the box outputs in any way over any of it's digital audio outputs (s/pdif or hdmi).

The option is designed to allow those with amplifiers without Dolby Digital decoding to use the digital audio outputs with channels using Dolby Digital audio.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett