1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodmans Argos

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mellowRUNNER, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mellowRUNNER

mellowRUNNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IVE JUST ORDERD A GOODMANS PLASMA TV FROM ARGOS,
    IVE JUST BEEN LOOKING FOR REVIEWS ON IT,
    WILL THIS END THE TV WHEN THIS HDTV COMES OUT?
    HOW GOOD IS THE PIC ON THEM,
    ITS NOT CRAP LIKE REAR PROJEC TVS IS IT ?

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to ask the obvious question: If you have so many reservations about it, why on earth have you ordered it?

Just thank God for the 16 day money-back guarantee. For slightly more than £1200 you can almost certainly get a much better plasma.

3. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PW6 is £1299 at Richersounds if I'm not mistaken. I guess a 3 digit figure is a big difference phsycologically though.

4. mellowRUNNER

mellowRUNNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi It Was Cheap So I Orderdit,
    Was Just Having A Look Round To Find A Wall Stand For It
    And See Some Bad Bits About It,
    Just Wondering How Bad?

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not cheap if you have to throw it away after 6 months because you can't stand to look at it :eek:

I haven't seen one, but if you are at all worried about picture quality then you should really have done some research before plonking down £1200 on something you'd not seen working :lesson:

Still, as I said, thank God for the 16 day guarantee and have a Happy New year :)

With luck you may even be able to cancel the order before you have to take a day off work to receive it and then another day to watch them take it away again :smashin:

6. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well the picture is awful.
    not sure if this helps

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    JUST wait till you turn it on............then you can see for yourself........there is a reason you cant see it in the stores before you buy it...............

8. mellowRUNNER

mellowRUNNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im going to let it come and see whats its like if its crap it will go back,
    if not it will stay,
    i will update and tell u all what i think when it comes,
    as it looks that nobody has see them on the net
    thanks

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they are ARGOS "Exclusive"

10. justy75

justy75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has it and its picture quality is really poor. The best one around at the same price by FAR Is the Tiny Focus 4200. Check this response for info.

OH DEAR OH DEAR,

All you "know it all cynics" have missed the bargain of the year so far.

I LOVE the way people are too quick to spurt out rubbish before they know the facts.

3000:1 contrast ratio
    1000 Nit
    The LATEST (Not the oldest) Samsung Panel (As used by Sony for instance)
    Brushed aluminium front
    Includes speakers, stand, input board with tuner, remote control

Far better than the LG panelled equivalent priced stuff on the market - check out the reviews.

I bought the Sony 42" that uses the same screen as this one. A friend of mine bought the Tiny 4200 Focus - The picture quality was the same, build quality was as good also. I returned mine back to Sony within 14 days and placed an order for the Tiny. Saved £1600 as the Tiny was £1299 + 99 Delivery - BARGAIN.

The reason they can do them cheaper is because they cut out the middleman. Other than buying a LOAD of screens from Samsung and getting a good deal on them, they get shipped from china straight through to Burnley where they are built at the Tiny factory. Whereas all the other brands have to buy the screens, usually send them to an assembler in China, who send them to the Asia distributor, who sends them to the European distributor, who sends them to UK distributor, who sends them to the retailer - each one taking their cut along the way....get the drift??? We end up paying FAR TOO much....

Take the gamble - (its actually the logical choice) and you wont be dissapointed.

And a big sorry to all you cynics who were too quick to pass judgement and have now spent £1400 or more on an inferior 1000:1, lower brightness plasma. You should have gone down to your local 'The Computer Shop' and saw for yourself.

11. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it's a bargain, but Sony do make notoriously bad plasma TVs so it isn't saying a lot about the PQ of the Tiny. It does however prove that you shouldn't bother with a Sony panel.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so mellowrunner whats it like?

13. pete007

pete007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just to ask did you get your plasma yet from argos.....as i just got one on friday and it seems fine......the only hassle i'm having is how to get the best picture as manual says u have to wait 150-200 hours before changings settings.....is this crap ....please can anyone help as this is our first big tv

14. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes.....wait at least 200hrs screen running time before making any long term adjustments.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    .... or it might just be that they are making so much money making 100's of people hang on to an 0870 line for hours on end, that they can subsidise the price :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (see the other Tiny thread).

16. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But surely the first change the majority of Plasma owners make is to lower the brightness/contrast settings for those first crucial(?) 200hrs or so - to prevent any unwanted burn-in etc?????

Gary

17. one jack walker

one jack walker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I wait 200 hours, I'll be out of time for Argos to take it back, which at present I'm seriously thinking of doing even though I only got mine on Friday.

A lot of the time the picture and sound quality is pretty good for what I expect, but occasionally (especially on skin tones), I get what I would call the painting by numbers effect. It seems to be worse on playback from SKY+, or anything I record on DVD, but I need to re-check that that is the case. I'm a complete newbie to plasmas, but I can't see this being part of the 100-200 hours 'settling in ' period, unless somebody who knows about plasmas can tell me different. Also I'm only using cheap SCART's, would it really make a difference to the effect mentioned above if I user Monster or QED cables?

The other really annoying thing is the screen aspect ratio settings. As far as I'm concerned the 'Auto' setting should take the aspect ratio of the transmission e.g. 4:3 or 16:9, and fit it to the screen without losing any of the picture. However, on mine, for 4:3 transmissions it fits it across the whole screen and cuts off top and bottom (that's when it works, which it doesn't always, often it just stretches 4:3 into 'fat' mode). Why should I mess around setting it manually.

I was going to try the Goodmans helpline, but from posts I've seen elsewhere, I could have a long wait.

I know there will be those who say you get what you pay for, but for my budget, and previous good experience of Argos return policies, I thought surely they wouldn't take such a risk knocking out a £1000 Plasma TV (with free delivery) that everyone was going to return. I never expected the quality of a Viera or PW6 that many people mention, I was just hoping for something half decent, and it would be but for the 2 rather deal-breaking issues I have.

I'd be interested if anyone has got one, and experienced the same problems

18. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i have a pany pe30 had it since the day it came out my wife is always leaving sky plus on live pause(even though i cont punch her in the face when i now she does it :mad: )we have loads of kids in my family so kidies chanels/xbox/photos are always on the tv so far i have seen no screen burn or image retention on my set maybe im just lucky or may bcause its a panny

i also have two cheap 32ich scneider tvs from asda i use these for xbox system link when these have been used 4 a bit i can see image retention on both of these however it goes away after 45 mins ish only happens occasionly