Goodmans 42" plasma from Argos

P

pete007

:lease: can anyone out there give me some help and advice on this plasma 42"tv.........i have looked for reviews but cant find anything??
this is our first big tv and if anyone could give me best advice on how 2 get best picture........have set tv up looks not to bad but sometimes colours are awful .....sound is superb......thanks for reading......cheers.....Pete :thumbsup:

ive read two reviews on on the goodmans gtv42 thats on sale at argos, in two different hc mags (can't remember which ones).
basically it was given 2 out of 5 and 4 out of 5, can't remember the fine details of the review, but i do remember the mag (that gives 4 out of 5) seemed very impressed with the screen with regard to the price ( ie very good value for money).
i very nearly brought one myself, but wanted to see it in the flesh and couldnt find a store with one working.
remember that the picture quality is a personal thing, i e some my not like it but you may ( dont pay more than you need, no point spending £6000 when your happy with the quality of the £1000 goodmans)

thanks for the info.....what one did u buy?.....and did u have to go thru this wait up to 200 hours before changing settings?....and if u do remember which mag u saw reviews please let me know...thanks

i brought a tiny 4200 focus in the end, good product, rubbish company.
not at home right now, ill have a look to see which mags it was.
matt
no mention in the tiny manual about a running in period but i am being careful

pete007 said:
thanks for the info.....what one did u buy?.....and did u have to go thru this wait up to 200 hours before changing settings?....and if u do remember which mag u saw reviews please let me know...thanks

Not to sure about this not changing setting for 200hrs bit. The first thing that most people change are the brightness and contrast setting as they are usually way to high at factory default.

do a search and you should find that most are changed first. These are important for the first 200hrs to reduce screen burn, etc, etc, etc

regards
Gary

thanks for that info gary.......in the manual it says that u should keep screen on full screen and contrast and brightness about 50% for those first hours mentioned.....but just now when u are close to screen pic looks like painting by numbers?????

can i suggest getting an LGPX11. The newer models have 5001:1 contrast and 1500:1 brightness and are considerably better than the older models (i know i had one)
picture quality is superb even from sky and on the newer model the skin tones look natural not like crayon drawings

At last, somebody else who is seeing what I am seeing.

I put the following on www.tv-forums.com the other dayto see if anyone else had similar problems:

"Picture is not bad in some respects, although with some images, there's a sort of slightly misty effect (don't know what the technical term is, as you've gathered I don't know all the techy buzzwords, some people use on these forums). Skin tones sometimes look good but other times a bit 'painting by numberish'. The latter problem is particularly prevelent with images that are out of focus in the scene you're watching.
"
I also put the following comment on about problems with the display format:

"Still can't get it to work the way I think 'Auto' mode should work. So before I make a prat of myself ringing the Goodmans helpline, can anybody else help? My belief for an 'Auto' feature, is that if a program is being transmitted in 4:3, it should fit the screen vertically and leave bands at the side of the screen, so you don't lose any of the picture. What actually happens is that the picture is enlarged to fit the screen horizontally, with the subsequent loss of picture at the top and bottom. That is the wrong way to do it.

If a user is happy to lose the top and bottom in 4:3 mode, then they can use the 'User Zoom' option to fill the screen width ways

I really don't want to have to manually flick between the aspect ratios, in order that I can see a full 4:3 picture. This would seem a really obvious thing that they've got wrong.
"

If I could get round these 2 problems, then for what I want out of a TV, it's a bargain at 999 delivered, but I need to make a decision fairly quick on whether I can sort out the picture problem in particular while I'm still in the Argos 16-day return period

for the money you are getting a good 42" plasma with a decent pair of speakers....if only there was more people out there who have bought this product as argos are now saying up to 28 days delivery in some areas...we could talk about picture quality...i have only had this since last friday morning so i still have time to decide to keep this item......anybody got anything to add.....oh one question with plasmas do u put it on standby or do you turn off at back of tv when finished for night??

review of the goodmans gtv42p2 is in the december issue of 'what hifi ? sound and vision' magazine.
heres a brief list of the points in the review.

for: wallet-friendly price,good depth of field,decent levels of general detail.

against: not future proof, poor detail in blacks, not the sharpest of images.

verdict: if youre on the look out for a big screen thrills on a meagre budget, this goodmans set is worth considering.

4 stars out of 5. (this was rated at the £1500 price, and its now £1000.)

also consider; panasonic th-42pe30b (£3300)
hitachi 42pd5300 (£3000)

im sure you can get the pan and hit for a lot less than those prices but they are both still twice the price of the goodmans, imho they cant be twice the screens (that'll start the sado's off!!!).

I nearly bought one of these Goodmans at Makro [C&C] early in the year , they were £1499 plus VAT , worked out at £1800. Bloody pleased I didn't .Argos dropped them down to £999 before Dec31. I waited and got a Panny 37pw7 for £1199.

i agree but the review is just an opinion (of someone who gets payed to write them by magazines who make money from adverts) the only magazine reviewer i trust is John Archer..... perspective (in real terms) is often lacking from these reviews compared to the PE30 at £3300 it is good value but PE30 can be had for £2k and with the LG available for £1350 ish there really is only one reason to choose these other cheap plasmas...........................
(if £350 is is too far over budget get a good DLP RPTV) and the fact you cant see them instore before you buy is a big :nono: never buy without a demo

Not wishing to poop on anyones party, but isnt the Argos deal with returns only open if you have un-opened the product, so AFAIK, if you've opened it and tried it, then the deals off..I dont think its a 'try b4 u buy' thing....

Anyone have a Argos catalogue to check if this is still the case....

I thought that when I ordered, but was talking to my mate who is a regional manager at currys, and he said I should be ok based on the fact it was an internet order, where I wasn't able to see the goods in operation before buying, so let's hope that's the case, as there is a fair chance it might be going back

You can return within 16 days provided it is "unused, in origional packaging and with reciept".

Note that it doesnt say unopened, therefore so long as you cannot tell the product has been used I guess you will be able to return it.

After all, Argos "want you to be totally satisfied with every purchace you make...."

Richard

i have phoned them to ask about returns and they did say it can be returned in original packing no probs but they did say that if packing had been thrown out u must protect the screen when sending back

We bought one of these last week from Makro. We should have checked the spec first. The screen definition was poor, too few pixels, but the biggest problem was that when we switched it on from stand-by, we would get sound but no picture. Switching it on from start ie power on/off wouuld give us back the picture sometimes but not always. We exchanged it for another but that had the same problem too so we took it back for a refund.

Hi,
The goodmans Plasma's inside are LG. LG PDP screen with a Philips interface PCB
the fault with standby on the GTV42P4 is software related

Macro Mail has these now at £799+vat

Possibly a bargain for someone?

Still gonna hold out for the Samsung I think :suicide:

That's correcto.

But it does'nt have Goodman's name or the Aldi's Commodore 64 looks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back