1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Goodmans 42" plasma from Argos (hornydragon)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mellowRUNNER, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mellowRUNNER

mellowRUNNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi it came and did not work,lol
    turned on and off a few times and then came on, but if u turn it off it takes donkeys to get it back on again,
    the pic is ok somtimes but on the move its like not real ,funny fady look,(crap)
    they are sending me anther one,
    i went into currys to look at theres and they looked the same on the faces of ppl, is this the look of plasma if so they are ****, from there cheap one to the dear one, there cheap one looked better than the dear one,?
    very good pic for cartoons , not my thing .
    ppls tell me if this is a prob with plasmas..
    thanks mellowrunner :suicide:

2. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Never audition a Plasma screen (or anything for that matter) in shops like Curry's. They feed their expensive plasma's with crap signals daisy chained to every TV in store via shoe laces (ok not that bad but not much better). It amazes me how they sell anything!

If the cheap one looked better chances are they were feeding that a halfway decent signal to promote/off load it, even then it doesn't get much better than say a £90 DVD player via a £30 scart lead. And using Pixar cartoons is the oldest trick in the book, they nearly always look good due to the lack of real life colour gradients and shading etc, vivid blocks of colour will always look pretty!

Get yourself to a proper Hi-Fi store if you want a proper demo...

It's like choosing a pair of speakers by connecting them to a badly tuned in radio signal on a £20 portable radio, how can you judge how they perform from that signal? Plasma's at Curry's don't demostrate the quality of their TV's, just the lack of quality of their signal.

My plasma is fantastic, as long as you're at least 2-3 metres away from the screen the picture is as good as a CRT TV, in fact I'd say it's better. Even close up you only notice slight problems, lack of grey scale in grey areas like fog etc, and tiny green dots in some black areas, but these disappear when at an appropriate sitting distance.

Having said that you do get what you pay for, if it seems to cheap to be true, then chances are it'll probably be crap and demostrate the kind of picture flaws you're experiencing. Quite frankly you'll be better off spending that little be extra or not spending it at all....

And don't just think it's about the Plasma - you need good interconnects and good source material, no good viewing terrestrial analogue TV and having a £29.99 DVD player with a plasma, you need high qualiy components to get the most of a high quality screen...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    why are they sending another one?!?!?! just get a refund and get a proper plasma.. you have even said that the PIC is not great....when you get a plasma and turn it on your reaction should be WOW and you should jump around the romm for at least 30 minutes......... not go "er oh well its not too bad and it was only a grand"

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I've got to fully agree with Hornydragon here, i'm getting my panny pw6 next week and hopefully when i switch it on i'll love what i see. £1700 - £1800 is a lot of cash to sit there thinking is alright but not great.

Saying that i've seen the panny in action with dvd and its sound, but if it turns out to be crap with sky+ i'll be hunting hornydragon down like a mad man. :rotfl:

Roll on next week can't wait :clap:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PS why is my name in the title of this thread

6. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

LOL that's what I did when I got mine :blush:

You should be straight on the phone inviting everyone round for a preview so you can watch with joy as their months hit the floor, not be ashamed of what they will think and cover it over with a blanket when you have guests!

There's some cracking deals on the outgoing PW6 at the moment, spend the extra and get something at that level, or don't buy one at all. I bet you could pick up near complete PW6 package for a little under £2k, since the Goodmans is £1200 and is unwatchable as a TV, an extra £800 is hardly unreasonable, wait a and save a few more months if it is to much of a stretch at the moment. If you don't you'll only regret it in the long run...

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Good aint it...

for £2k you have a PWD6 stand/mount and 5.1 amp and speakers all cables and FV box (perhaps even a DVD recorder as well) see this thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154292&highlight=beginner

PS if it has to be silver you will pay a little more but not that much!

8. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hells bells PWD6 is only £1550 nowadays with a free stand/mounth and scart connection!!! Well in that case you would have to be a loon not to pay the extra £350!!! It's a no brainer!

I notice the PW7 is only £1750 with board and mount too, has it changed much from the PW6? Seems very cheap for a new model?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    slight changes from PW6 to 7 mate nowt major really............

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    mellowrunner whats the verdict mate???
    LFC FAN You hunting me down????

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I expect he's unable to hunt you down as his jawbone is wedged between 2 floorboards.

12. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    LMFAO :laugh:

No i aint hunting you down it's a top screen can't believe how good it is. :thumbsup:

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    it maybe a great screen LFCFAN but if you have been watching liverpool lately on it i would imagine you would have given up on football or put your coffee mug through it :mad: lol.

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yep they have been rubbish and that's an understatment :mad:
    So have you ordered a screen yet mate? or are you still waiting to see the NEC in action?

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i really wanna see the nec in action but getting a demo is proving hard at best.i was going down to nexnix to view it next to the pw6/7 so i could get a rough idea but 1,its a 4hour drive and 2,they arent open saturdays and i work nights and dont finish till 6am sat morning so midweek is a no go.to be honest the longer i hold off the closer i get to a true high definition panel so it could work out better in the end lol.

at first the HD problem with the pana didnt faze me to be honest but when i seen the price and connectivity of the nec not to mention all the connections it kinda took the jam out of the doughnut concerning the pw6.but im reading very good things about the NEC the only negative so far is it seems a bit to easy to get image retention and doesnt seem as IR friendly as the panas which is a bit of a worry :rolleyes: