Goodman GHDD1782DVBT

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by tdenson, Sep 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Just went and got one of these today from Empire Direct for £124.49 (live near Bradford so can pick up). I plan to use it to supplement my Tivo which is my primary PVR. Works extremely nicely. Very easy to use (as is my experience with other Goodman's kit) and fits the bill nicely. Only complaint is that it has a dazzling blue light when recording, so I plan to stick some opaque material over that.

2. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had a quick look on the Goodmans web-site, and it says that this box has a Scart input. Is this true? I would like to use something like this with Sky digital, just like on my existing VCR.

3. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    According to the user manual, yes (describes it as pass to TV SCART). However, I haven't tested it.

4. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When (if) you have a chance to test it, please post results on the forum. I think there will be a lot of people interested in the results!

5. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I will, but I have two problems. First is I had my TV nicked yesterday (Samsung 32" LCD), secondly, I'm not sure I understand the concept of pass through. If you can tell me in words of one syllable what to do I will do it.

6. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :mad: Sorry to hear about the TV, you just can't trust anybody these days. Anyway, went and got the Goodmans from Argos for £110.

Main gripes:

1) The blue Record LED and the red Power LED are so bright they burn holes in your retina. A piece of black tape has sorted that for now.
    2) Can't record from external source, the Scart input is a pass through for a VCR/DVD, switchable from the remote. Guess this helps to save on Scart sockets.

Because on my Hitachi the 2 RGB Scarts are taken up by Sky and DVD player, I am using the Goodmans in Composite mode on the third, and must say the pictures (watched and recorded) are about 1000% better than the VCR, and not that far behind Sky. All in all excellent value for the money. :thumbsup:

Most important of all though, is the missus is really happy with it as functionality wise it's not too different from the old VCR. :) :)

7. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Agreed - I can't understand how anyone could have thought that blue light would be acceptable in a domestic environment.

Also, I was surprised to see in an addendum sheet that came with it that it can't record radio channels. If I didn't have my Tivo as my main PVR this would have been sufficient cause to return it.

8. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't believe any Freeview hard disc drive recorder on the market currently allows recording from an external source (they only record Freeview channels). You need either sky+ (records from sky only) or a DVD/HDD recorder (which records from any external source).

By the way, I am considering getting either this from Argos (£120), or the soon to be released Humax 9200 with 160gb HDD and 2 tuners (should be around £230). I am not absolutely positive which one to go for, but I am leaning towards the Humax as it seems (in theory) to be the best Freeview HDD recorder.

Sorry also to hear about your Samsung LCD TV Tdenson :( . I assume you are insured though :) . Oh yes, thanks for posting about the Goodmans - you were the first person I saw on the internet who had purchased and received this unit :clap: .

9. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I also had all my remote controls stolen including the one for this Goodmans. The model is so new that when I rang Goodmans spare parts company they haven't got any yet.

10. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They could at least have had the decency to leave the remote controls of the equipment they didn't take :rolleyes: .

You could buy a universal remote control from Argos, and instead try to get that to work, rather than having to buy replacement remote(s) for the equipment they left behind. Then if it doesn't work, you can always get a refund.

11. tdenson

tdenson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    But it's never quite the same using a universal.

12. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't know about that....I think the button layout on the Goodmans remote leaves a lot to be desired. :(

13. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It was just a suggestion seeing that Goodmans do not have any spare remotes yet, but I agree with you :) .

I got rid of all my universal remote controls, as even though it makes it more convenient as you only require just the one remote to operate everything, I prefer the original remotes, as then you have full control over the equipment.

14. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So the remote control is poor :thumbsdow . Maybe I have made a good decision waiting for the Humax instead (hopefully it will be available soon).

By the way, can the Goodmans output RGB to the TV, and is it possible to set manual recordings (by setting date, start/stop times, etc).

15. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes to both the RGB and Manual timer questions.

One of my gripes about the timer is that when you set up a program to be recorded from the EPG, the name of the program doesn't get transferred to the 'Timer' list (just channel, date, time, etc), but once recorded and in the 'Recorded' list the program name shows. Strange :confused: . Still, hopefully Goodmans will fix this on a later software update :lease:

Unless of course I'm doing something wrong...

16. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I've been waiting for this one to come in stock at Argos for some time.

Do you know if there is more info available on this model to download? The manual would be useful, or a more detailed spec sheet.

I'm particularly interested to know if you can record a current programme and watch a previous recording at the same time?

Any comment on fan (assuming it has one) and HD noise?

Can I assume it does not have an RF Modulator, just RF Feed-through from the recorder scart?

Colin

17. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Re more info: I know the problem, I tried to get the user manual from the Goodmans sit, but it wasn't available. If you are interested in any particular sections I could scan and send them to you if you want. Hopefully I won't get into any copyright problems with Goodmans!

Re recording: Gave this a go, and the answer is no. Sorry!

Re noise: There is some noise (a very low hum) that is just about audible in a silent room. In general use not noticeable at all.

Re RF modulator: :confused: (Sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer, anything to do with RF and I get very confused).

Hope this helps.

18. creddish

creddish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Thanks very much for your reply. I would have been very interested in some extracts from the manual but I think the next point about not being able to record a current programme and watch a previous recording at the same time, means this PVR would not be suitable for me. I mainly want to use the PVR to record programmes and watch them shortly afterwards while recording the next one. This provides the means of skipping through adverts and other bits conveniently.

The functionality seems to be very similar to the Humax 8000T PVR (which has the same recording/watch limitation) which is a very reliable well proven PVR and available for only a few pounds more than the Goodmans.

An RF Modulator means the o/p of the PVR is available on the RF Coax Output so can be used to easily connect the output to other TV's etc in other rooms. All VCR's and most DVD REcorders have them,

Colin

19. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks wonderloaf for that information :clap: .

Just a thought, you could try daisy chaining either the sky box or the DVD player (assuming they both pass through RGB) and the Goodmans together, so that all the boxes output RGB to the TV.

20. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thought about doing this, but wanted to keep the Sky and DVD links as 'pure' as possible. On my plasma these are on the RGB Scarts, while the Goodmans is on the Composite Scart. As I've said before, the picture from the Goodmans through the Composite isn't that much worse than Sky through RGB! Now I'm worried about my Sky connection, thought it should be much better than composite :confused:

BTW, tried putting the sky box on the pass through scart of the Goodmans (set to RGB), picture was absolutely pants. Not to be recommended, I'll stick to the existing set up.

21. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Have you set the sky box to output RGB?.

On sky remote control press... services, 4, 1. Then make sure RGB is selected for video output.

22. wonderloaf

wonderloaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sky & the Goodmans boxes were both set to RGB. Haven't a clue what's happening :confused: