Goodbye Sony XR155, Hello Panasonic TM700

CH_Warp9

Standard Member
I am about to become a TM-700 owner (yippee!),

I was upgrading a much loved and used tape SONY TRV30E with over 9 years of video footage, sadly its lens was falling off so it would go out of focus on zooming in, but if not zooming in the colours were superb and so natural looking. I quickly replaced it with another SONY HDR -XR155, as thats all the shop had in stock, all the higher end Sonys with viewfinders were special order and I needed it in 2-3 days.

Whilst I was happy with the controlabilty and ease of use of the SONY 155 it was too basic for me, and I just couldn't get over how small and compact it was, looked like a toy at times! Guess not used to the over plastic looking camcorders of today. I also had issues of transfer video onto a Mac with it, plus no flash, grainy photos, well to be expected on 3.1 megapixels on photos, the video however was very very good.

The TM-700 on the otherhand had the viewfinder which I was used to in my previous SONY TRV30E and flash. I know the TM-700 isn't exactly a match for the Sony 155 as its £300 more in cost and perhaps I should have comparing it to Panasonics TM-60 range, but decided to go straight for the top.

IN SHOP TEST: SONY HDR-XR155 V's Panasonic TM-700
I tested the SONY XR155 and TM700 in the Panasonic shop, on zooming in outdoors from inside the shop, both seemed pretty much the same. I found the zoom slightly easier to control on the Sony than the Panasonic which felt a tad loose, but with practice and being more careful with the Panasonic it was ok.
I then zoomed into my eye using both camcorders, on the Sony zoomed maximum showing the blood vessels in the eye and it was still in focus! But on the TM-700 it wouldn't allow me to stay in focus getting so close to the eye the image got blurred. Anyone know why? I had it set on 'Intelligent Auto' on the TM700. Anyway, will re try that when I get the real thing.

Lastly, photo taking in shop show room conditions, with the TM700 the flash popped on, so all photos appeared too bright. On the Sony XR 155 the photos appeared natural looking, as it has no flash the ins tore lighting conditions had adequate light for the photo be be correctly exposed. When I tried the same at home in gentle indoor lighting in evening the photos appeared very grainy on the Sony, couldn't do test with TM 700 as hadn't bought it yet, but will do after today.

Questions on TM-700
1. Does anyone know if the flash can be turned off in photos on the TM-700? I found all the photos on TM-700 over-exposed and too bright.

2. Why does the image get blurred when zoomed in to max e.g your eye (using intelligent auto setting).

it should be here in a few hours, can't wait!!

Not bad price at £750 with 10% cashback from Panasonic making it £675 with a free 5 Year Panasonic warranty, not that I expect anything to go wrong with it, if anything it would only get damage from a few knocks during travels and recording, like my old Sony TRV30E which I absolutely adored, kind of sad to not get another Sony, but times have changed and Panasonic seem to be doing wonders, so countdown has begun to be a Panasonic TM-700 Owner:)

Last edited:

PhilipL

Questions on TM-700
1. Does anyone know if the flash can be turned off in photos on the TM-700? I found all the photos on TM-700 over-exposed and too bright.

2. Why does the image get blurred when zoomed in to max e.g your eye (using intelligent auto setting).
1) Yes, all digital cameras let you disable the flash.
2) Depends on the lens, some lenses focus closer to than others. You might need to engage a 'Macro' mode on the Panasonic in order for it to focus very close up.

Enjoy :hiya:

Regards

Phil

CH_Warp9

Standard Member
Thanks, yes figured out how to turn Flash off.

Think I need a longer life battery now for this, I'm in Canada on way to US so will try to pick one up. Anyone know what part number I need?

Top Bottom