Goodbye Sky....bring on Telewest cable !

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by clack, Nov 4, 2005.

1. clack

clack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With the price of the HD Sky box rumours floating around , thought id check out Telewest, already a customer i might add with their broadband service. Well im glad i did....person i talked to had a HD box in front of her and had just returned from a training course on High Def. Box was a scientific atlanta...160gb hard drive due for customers this December..cost.......£50 install plus the £10 on top of your chosen package per month, and unlike sky you dont have to have a minimum package, any will do. No cost for the box itself (as youre only renting the equipment...which has the benefits of course if it breaks down they just replace the box free of charge)...now ive got sky at the moment but unless im missing something here...the Telewest solution to my future HD needs seem a very good choice...looks like Sky is soon to be kicked into touch...unless someone knows a good reason why not to ????

2. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can't see Telewest bringing out HD before Sky they will have no content to show. Also the proposed STB is only MPEG2 so it's old before it even released that means Telewest will have to get MPEG2 Feed from Sky or Re-encoding the MPEG4 into MPEG2.

This is an image of the proposed STB
    http://prn.newscom.com/cgi-bin/pub/...=PRN-prnphotos-43218&redir=preview&tr=1&row=1

Until Telewest make an official press release don’t believe what their staff say. I just spoke to someone in Sales and they told me the PVR is 6 months away

With the upcoming merge it’s more likely they will use the STB NTL are going to use.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds25412.html maybe they will bring there own one out before then end of this year but they don’t have much time left.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    It depends really on what you want your HD for.....if it is for the footy for instance then there is no guarantee that they will make it available for other providers.

Also, having just moved from NTL to sky, it is very noticable how much more the broadcast is compressed with NTL meaning how a much better pic with sky.

4. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Telewest is just a third party carrier for sky and the bbc's etc products, the only real reason for using them is the convenience of having one bill for your services, fancy boxes that may, or may not come out earlier are useless without good content, back in the days of analogue before sky digital came out they were a good alternative, but if you want multichannel tv these days stick with sky.

5. Howard Pitfield

Howard Pitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yup tried twice with cable - and Sky is the only way at the moment to get a half decent service.

H

6. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Won't sky be legally obliged to make HD broadcasts available to NTL/Telewest for a reasonable fee? I'm not sure if I remember correctly but don't they have to keep the content / delivery network separate or something ?? Why else would they let NTL/Telewest show Sky Sports 1, 2 etc.. now?

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Sky don't prove a telephone service or Broadband. Whether I chose cable or Sky what I don't want is hundreds or mind numbingly stupid channels which I doubt few people ever watch for any length of time. What most people want is good tv, both in content and in technical quality,accessibilty to movies of choice and sports events and a reliable back-up when things go wrong. I congratulate Sky on going into 'packaging' so people don't have to buy stuff they never watch. Hope the cable companies make a note of this.

8. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    That should read 'Sky don't provide a telephone service or Broadband.'

I wonder where this idea that Sky make programmes comes from. They buy in stuff from independent studios or from the USA and put it on their Sky channels. Similarly they buy in sport, some of which they have exclusive rights to show. From the flimsy information we have about their HD service they are doing the same again. I suspect it will mostly be bought in material from the USA, or perhaps from the BBC. Most of this material can be bought by other companies on the same basis.

9. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    spot on !

More worrying for sky they have been told by the EC that as of 2007 - they have to free up the tv rights to football....

even more worrying for sky - NTL and telewest merged - and now have 2/3 of the customer base sky have....I know for a fact Sky are extremely anxious about this ;O)

And the big killer for Sky is that within 12 months NTL and telewest etc will have HD boxes ...and content - the content is NOT sky's...anyone can purchase it....

Moreover SKY have no broadband - they have a huge tie in with BT - so Sky plus BT broadband plus a phone line costs a small fortune !!

Mark my words - more than a few are rather worried about developments at NTL and Telewest....

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The EU have told the Premier League they can not sell to one broadcaster, the packages have to be split. Who knows at this time how it will eventually unfold, it may be some content is on FTA telly or some will be on another PAY platform. There is certainly no proof that the consumer will be better off and no proof that this political interference will benefit the Premier League.

The merging of NTL/TW saves the combined company money thanks to sacking a few hundred people, there may be some cost savings in buying certain channels from broadcasters as well.
    Cable are still handicapped by their UK coverage but benefit from the ability to offer three services (compared to SKY's one service).

SKY certainly will not benefit from years of indifference and incompetence by the cable companies in regards to introdusing new technology in this case High Def. However SKY I suspect have the HD movie content sewn up leaving cable with PPV VOD and older movies which are on the open market of which the BBC will also be buying. Sport again would probably still be tied to SKY and it's one thing to have a HD platform it's a quite another to have the production facilities to exploit it, SKY and the BBC will be able to while the cable companies may have not start from scratch.

SKY have just bought Easynet giving them a huge slice of the LLU system, supplying ADSL and ADSL2+ to indpendent ISP's plus the ability to supply broadband TV (Homechoice style) and basic internet services. I would expect LLU to also be able to offer phone services but perhaps some could clarify this:)
    The days of SKY just being a digital TV provider are coming to an end.

I have no doubt that SKY are worried hence the £1 Billion bond for investment but in the same way the combined NTL/TW company will also be worried as SKY encroaches on their traditional markets.

Lets no forget that Freeview can wizz all over both cable and satellite in some aspects and IPTV via BT has the potential to be BIG.

We live in Interesting Times:)

11. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    very very interesting times....

I'll be honest mate...I'm limited in what I can say due to my circumstances...if you catch my drift ;O)

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY do make content but it's only a small percentage, most of their own production is fronting sports programming which they do better than anyone.
    SKY has always stuck to US imports after all I doubt SKY will ever be able to match the top 10% of what the BBC and ITV make so why bother:)

SKY HD will launch with SKY Sports, SKY Movies (2 screens), SKY PPV along with SKY1 and Artsworld. While it is then true that the vast majority of that content in bought in it's also true SKY have long term contracts with the US movie studios and sporting associations.
    Other broadcasters have always been free to compete with SKY for this content but I do not see the existence of HD making any difference to the overall situation.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Incorrect since 21st October, when Sky acquired Easynet. It's also rumoured that Sky have their eyes on Homechoice too.

Sky do make some of their own shows, but the majority of it is out-sourced. However, this probably also applies to the same degree to the other minority channels (Channel 4, 5, ITV2, ITV3, e4, etc), who also buy in programmes. Much of the BBC output is bought in from small production companies.