Goodbye OS X. Hello 7?

So yeah, I'm jumping ship, saying bye to OS X and hopefully building a warm welcome on the sands of Windows 7.

I played with a friends machine running 7, and I was absolutely blown away! It's completely changed my opinions on the OS I once called home. I'm looking into building a new machine running Windows 7, but to be honest, I don't know where to start.

I'm looking to run programs like Photoshop, After Effects, Maya and a bunch of 3D game engines e.g. Cryengine Sandbox, so I guess I'm looking into a pretty big build.

As mentioned though, I really have no idea where to start!? But I had a good look through Scan and it would be great if someone could comment on this build...

CPU: BX80569Q9550A - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, Yorkfield Core, S775, 2.83GHz, 1333MHz, 12MB L2 Cache, 8.5x, 95W, Retail - Scan.co.uk

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L, Intel P43 Express, Sok 775, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR2 1200/1066/667, SATA 300, ATX - Scan.co.uk

RAM: TWIN2X4096-8500C7 - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 7-7-7-20 - Scan.co.uk

GPU: HD-489A-ZDFC - 1GB XFX HD 4890, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Mem 3900MHz, GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, Cores 800, 2x DL DVI-I/HDTV - Scan.co.uk

PSU: 650W EZCool Silent SLi pPFC Power Supply PCI-E + SATA AMD & P4 Ready 12cm Silent Fan ATX12v Ready - Scan.co.uk

Budget: £600

THANKS!

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The only thing I would change is the power supply to something link a Corsair. You should never skimp on the power supply so many people do and run into trouble.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
With the PSU selection revised. That' s perfectly good build. Of course me being so picky. I would say go with P45 mobo. But that's just me.

As to regards to the programs they will be fine :smashin:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm interested to see what people think, from a standpoint of the applications I want to use!
How much of a hurry are you in? While they won't make much of a difference for gaming it may be worth waiting until the 6-core LGA1366 processors are released later this year as they should really fly in photoshop and will hopefully not be too much more expensive than the current LGA1366 Core i7 processors that will be phased out at that time. You've got to wait for November for the release of Windows 7 anyway, unless you're planning to dual-boot the beta version with a stable OS.

anothadave

Novice Member
for £600 you can easily get an i7 920 setup. will slaughter the Q9550. and thats before you overclock it to 4ghz! :p lol.

to be honest at the moment its a little early for windows 7. i dualbooted it a week or two ago and theres just too many programs that dont work on it yet :( it wouldnt even run my antivirus program! might be worth waiting 6months unless you can put up with only half your software working. i do agree it looked very promising though. i would certainly consider upgrading to it when theyve sorted out the drivers. there is the xp compatibility mode but its quite slow. id dread to try and use photoshop or some intensive application in it.

maybe check that your favorite programs work on your mates windows 7 install first before shelling out loads of cash?

Singh400

Distinguished Member
for £600 you can easily get an i7 920 setup. will slaughter the Q9550. and thats before you overclock it to 4ghz! :p lol.
Yeah, but it's not worth it. £600 = £200 CPU + £200 Mobo + £200 RAM.

And it only slaughters the rest of the Intel line up in benchmarks. It's great if you want to future prood and have the cash. Otherwise theres no point.

Too be honest, I was looking into the i7, but I'm not entirely sure where the slaughtering is coming from. The benchmarks don't suggest that much of a performance increase, at least with the i7 920.

I'm happy to add on a few extra quid if the benefits are there though :smashin:

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

anothadave

Novice Member
i suppose it depends what your doing with it. at stock speeds i suppose its not considerably faster but its so easy to overclock (approx 3 numbers to change in the bios! lol)

its also a combination with the ddr3 ram too. ive got some ddr1600 and combined with a reasonable overclock all the figures are much better than even the qx9770 let alone the lower q9550

ive been running various benchmarks and for example an overclocked Q9770 extreme scores 11.7 in superpi. my i7 920 over clocked was gettin less than 10seconds! wprime was 6.5 the q9770 was 9.999. on sisoft sandra the figures where through the roof, i think on one test i was ranked 29 in their leaderboards.lol.

of course these are just synthetic benchmarks. real world performance ive been doing 1080p reencodes in around 4hrs. from what i gather thats at least an hour or two faster than the Q9770... previously the i7 was considerably more expensive than the Q series so it was an easier decision. but now with the much cheaper ram and motherboards i think its less an less attractive to go for the older cpus.

no idea where you get £200 for the ram singh400? i paid £44 for mine! ddr3 ram is cheap as chips now :p also the motherboards are as cheap as £150 now. i paid less than £600 for my setup. £150+£44+ £216 = £410! i only had 3gb though as im using XP still. if you want 6gb then of course its £88. i got mine from aria, scan was a bit more expensive.

i suppose it depends what your doing with it. at stock speeds i suppose its not considerably faster but its so easy to overclock (approx 3 numbers to change in the bios! lol)

its also a combination with the ddr3 ram too. ive got some ddr1600 and combined with a reasonable overclock all the figures are much better than even the qx9770 let alone the lower q9550

ive been running various benchmarks and for example an overclocked Q9770 extreme scores 11.7 in superpi. my i7 920 over clocked was gettin less than 10seconds! wprime was 6.5 the q9770 was 9.999. on sisoft sandra the figures where through the roof, i think on one test i was ranked 29 in their leaderboards.lol.

of course these are just synthetic benchmarks. real world performance ive been doing 1080p reencodes in around 4hrs. from what i gather thats at least an hour or two faster than the Q9770... previously the i7 was considerably more expensive than the Q series so it was an easier decision. but now with the much cheaper ram and motherboards i think its less an less attractive to go for the older cpus.

no idea where you get £200 for the ram singh400? i paid £44 for mine! ddr3 ram is cheap as chips now :p also the motherboards are as cheap as £150 now. i paid less than £600 for my setup. £150+£44+ £216 = £410! i only had 3gb though as im using XP still. if you want 6gb then of course its £88. i got mine from aria, scan was a bit more expensive.
Can you recommend a Motherboard, not too pricey. Looking at Aria prices though I am actually quite attracted the i7.

CPU: £170
RAM: £40
PSU: £70
MOBO: £150?
GPU: £170

= £600

Works for me!

P.S. These mobo's that support i7, is that there only benefit?

Thanks!

anothadave

Novice Member
most of the cheaper i7 boards all got good reviews so basically down to whichever brand you prefer. the asus p6t se or the msi or the gigabyte. ive got the asus p6t deluxe and its an excellant board so id be tempted to recommend the asus budget board. although ive just spotted the msi x50 pro at £139! bargain.

MSI X58 PRO Intel X58 Socket 1366 Motherboard - Aria Technology

the ocz ddr 3 1600 platinum ram (7.7.7.24) from aria is excellant stuff, plenty of overclocking potential there. im running it at 1700mhz at the moment.

OCZ 3GB PC3-12800 DDR3 1600Mhz Platinum Triple Channel (3x1GB) - Aria Technology

one other thing to consider is an uprated cpu cooler. if youre not planning on overclocking then the stock one is fine. if you are going to overclock (and you would be mad not too! ) then its worth the extra £35 for a decent cooler. i actually got my scythe mugen 2 from ebay. was the cheapest around and aria unfortunately dont stock it.

just to confuse you a bit more, lol. keep an eye on the scan daily deals, sometimes they do the i7 920 and a motherboard for a good package price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom