Goodbye mCubed HFX...hello Zalman HD160XT??

peskywinnets

I'd considered going a similar route, but then I thought that the LCD would be too low in my rack to be useful...unless you happen to have it located nearer eye height it'll be a right pain to view!

Next, I thought about buying a bog standard HTPC case & a separate touch mini VGA screen (which could be positioned in a much user friendly location)...but then I went & had a lie down followed by a nice cup of tea.

If you decide to sell you mcubed case - let me know!

shezzy2k

ah the magic cuppa!...somehow things always make sense after that...I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell.

NaTT

you're kidding surely? The HFX is way more classy (opinion backed up by a purchase myself).
The Zalman has fans so would be a backward step and it has too many buttons and equiliser info.

shezzy2k

Not kidding at all...the main reason why I bought the HFX was to use as a music server, so I'm not put off by all the buttons. I'm also in the market for a plasma & had decided on the Pioneer 507XD only to find out that it's crap with PCs according to opinions on this forum. Just thinking that maybe an integrated screen is the way forward. As far as the fans go, I can replace them with silent ones...I think.

springtide

Distinguished Member
One word.... Tacksville. Each to his (or her) own..

Looks like one of those cheap "CD Stereos", with a flashing graphic equaliser and boom, boom bass – just like you get from Currys!

I’ll be keeping my HFX as it doesn’t look out of place next to my Roksan equipment :)

shezzy2k

LOL...you may have a point there as far as the "ultra-mega-bass" look goes...hadn't considered that, but as you've now planted that thought & image in my head, it makes it even more difficult to decide what to do.

fathazza

i think the zalman looks great....

and to those who think the graphic equaliser stuff looks silly... Its only the software...You dont have to use it... I would imagine that a decent bit of car pc software would be great on being designed primarily for that type of small touchscreen in the first place.

wywywywy

Thread rescued!
This is coming to the UK in a few days!

I personally think that having the ability to access MCE without switching the TV on (or using VNC) is a god send.

Anyone knows if the LCD is Vista Sideshow compatible or not?

jameson_uk

Not kidding at all...the main reason why I bought the HFX was to use as a music server, so I'm not put off by all the buttons.
Server or playback machine? surely if it is a server than a touchscreen is no use. I guess though reading ...
I'm also in the market for a plasma & had decided on the Pioneer 507XD only to find out that it's crap with PCs according to opinions on this forum. Just thinking that maybe an integrated screen is the way forward.
On what level? I would imagine that it will look great for a media centre app with big buttons. Normally crap PC quality only comes in when you are using the desktop or playing DVDs etc. Worth checking but I am nearly 99% certain that you would get a more than acceptable picture for music playback.

As far as the fans go, I can replace them with silent ones...I think.
Good luck :D Took my about three years to get my HTPC with fans just about silent (now the Sky HD box drowns it out :() Fans are fans and create noise. The HFX is designed to take heat away from the PC, a normal PC is not. you will need to get air flowing through and I would have thought the difference from the HFX would be noticeable.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom