1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Video Editing Magazines

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Skiddins, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend any good monthly or other magazines for people who are getting into video editing?

Thanks
    Skiddins

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well I think that there is only one good video editing mag and that is 'Computer Video Editing' and as from the next issue due in about 2 weeks time (that will be the February 2005 issue) the 'Computer' bit will be dropped from the title so just look for 'Video Edting'.
    The mag has a lot of high end gear, but does also cover the lower entry level hardware & software. There is a cover DVd that has reviews, tutorials, trial software, utilities, stock footage etc etc.
    They are also online at www.computervideo.net

Mark.

3. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On another well known camcorder forum, the general consensus is that the video editing mags are a waste of paper. Quite simply, video editing does not transfer to paper like photography does. Also agreed (and something I discovered myself after buying a few of the mags!), is that the magazines are notorious for recycling the same old articles time and time again, with a few little changes to make them seem current. Just look through a couple in the newsagent and you soon realise just how little original content they contain. The best way to learn is to:

a) Pick up the camera and have a go.
    b) Come to forums like these.
    c) Save the magazine money for tape, batteries and software.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well in most cases I would totally agree with you, but Video Editing mag is very different to your description of normal mags above.
    Of course VE repeat things as new readers are always coming along who need to know the basics. But all their reviews are written specifically for them and often disagree with the rest. They give software specific tutorials and do keep their fingers on what is going on in the editing and camcorder industry.
    If in doubt then look on their web site or even go down to the newsagents and buy a single copy and see for yourself. If you like what you see then great, if not then don't buy any more copies.

And no I don't have any direct connections with the mag other than being a subscriber for the past 4 or so years.

Mark.