Good value projector for PC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by commjo, Apr 25, 2005.

1. commjo

commjo
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Can anyone advise on a good value projector for powerpoint presentations.

Features
    - small & light
    - easy to set up and use
    - available to purchase online

We dont need anything fancy, but its almost impossible to get a review online.

Thanks

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alot of people seem to rate the Benq projectors (www.benq.co.uk), something like the 6200. Or infocus (www.infocus.com), the business pj side of screenplay.

And if you really need small and light you won't do much better then the HP MP3135 at less than 2 kilos. Not terribly helpfull I know, but they'd be my short list.

3. cliocarl

cliocarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Those Epsoms they sell in PC World arent that bad for basics you know, think they are about £500

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767
    The Toshiba ET1 seems good for the money - about £360 I think. There's a thread with some screen pics lower down.

Gary.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm not so sure how much the ET1 would appraciate being lugged around in a carry case though. May be worth going for somethingn that's been specifically designed for that sort of usage...PJ

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767
    In retrospect, I only mentioned it as someone on the forum bought one for £360, but I assumed it was a new cheapo model available on 'offer' - I didn't realise it was probably second hand.

It does fit the OPs requirements for portability though:

http://presentation-systems.co.uk/pdfs/toshiba-et1.pdf

It's available on-line from ivojo:

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/toshiba-et1.htm

There are better for less money though, and I think we need to know what conditions he intends using the pj under (light control), and what screen size (or what size he'd like if projecting onto a wall). That might require more lumens,

Gary.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    No it was new, oyyy (I think?) were doing it for £360, quite a few other places for just a smidgeon more.

It depends if they need it portable just to move it around occasionally, or whether it's going to be lugged around a lot for business use - they mentioned presentations hence why I assumed the latter...PJ

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767
    I see your point, in which case a sturdy carry case might be in order too. :)

Gary.

9. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For data projection I think you should avoid any home cinema PJs, because:-

Widescreen - great for movies, but most PC's don't support them without messing around. 4:3 is the way to go

Low resolution - the cheap HC PJs (like Et1) are 856 by 480, very low res for data. A cheap data projector will be SVGA (800 by 600) or maybe even XGA (1024 by 768). And remember, you'll probably end up displaying 4:3, so that 856 becomes 640 by 480.

Brightness - HC PJs are optimised for colour quality - usually at the cost of overall brightness, data PJs will be the oposite, brightness rather than colour quality, a better choice if you ever plan to take the PJ anywhere (how many boardrooms can black out totally?)

As for the ET1 - it was new at 360 not 2nd hand, which shows just how good value it is. However for this it would be awful. Its too bulky (round, about 30cm diameter), it too low res and not bright enough.

The HP I suggested before is as small and light as you can go (asfar as I know, smaller and lighter than a laptop), but costs. A low end 4:3 DLP (e.g. Benq 6200, Infocus X2) will be the best value way to go I think.

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,767