Good Value 40" or 42" TV for SD Feed

bushhpd

Standard Member
I am choosing between the following:

Samsung LE40B550
Samsung PS42B451
Panasonic TX-P42X10
Sony 40V5500.

Any pointers as to which is best / which to avoid and why?

Thanks!

tvbox

Distinguished Member
Panasonic TX-P42X10B Gets a vote from me. I've got it and i watch mostly built in freeview and SD via Scart and it really is better than all those LCDs.
A few weeks back when i was considering buying the X10, the Samsung B451 was on the list, but after asking it on here, they said the X10 was loads better for SD and sound quality:smashin:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
X10 or the LG 42PQ6000 (£520 at Dixons), the X10 and PQ6000 are better than the others mentioned, it's largely personal preference as to which is best, it's very close, I personally prefer the LG as it has the expert picture controls which are lacking in the Panasonic. The only time I would say to rule out the LG is if you watch a lot of TV programmes/channels with bright logos in the corner like on ITV 2

tvbox

Distinguished Member
I personally prefer the LG as it has the expert picture controls which are lacking in the Panasonic.
There's not much difference, and there are loads of controls on the Pana. The only time i would rule out a LG is... anytime:rotfl::devil:
Remember when alsina said there were more LGs been chucked into their service department for repair than any other tv manufacturer:eek::thumbsdow:rolleyes:?
:suicide:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
There's not much difference, and there are loads of controls on the Pana. The only time i would rule out a LG is... anytime:rotfl::devil:
Remember when alsina said there were more LGs been chucked into their service department for repair than any other tv manufacturer:eek::thumbsdow:rolleyes:?
:suicide:

The Panasonics picture controls aren't even worth a glance, you've got contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness. The LG has full white balance controls, colour intensity stuff, basically full calibration controls, some of which you can't even access in the service menu of the Panasonic. If the Panasonic had these controls I would possibly prefer it (possibly) but it doesn't so you can't quite get the right picture.

And as long as you get a working LG you'll be fine with it. After comparing the two side by side in a local indie store, no end of setting fiddling could quite bring the Panasonic up to the LG in my opinion, and there was less picture noise on the LG, although that depends on the source

tvbox

Distinguished Member
but it doesn't so you can't quite get the right picture.
How come i'm happy with my Picture settings and my X10 on the whole?
I think the SD picture's perfect, LG fan:thumbsdow:(:boring:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
The X10 is good, would you like to see how many picture controls there are on the LG?! If you want to see a movie how the director intended you can't quite get there on a Panaosnic, just very close. I live with a PX80 and PG6000, both from last year. The X10 isn't much of a jump over the PX80 (a little better, but the PX80 was top for the money last year). I prefer my PX80, but only just, the new LGs basically improve on the points which bought down the PG series last year.

And you do like the colour temp on cool :rotfl:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
would you like to see how many picture controls there are on the LG?!
No, there'll be too many, complicated, and it'll take hours to actually tune them all :boring::rotfl:
But just curious, is there any N button on the LG?:rolleyes::suicide:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
:rotfl: No, there's no 'N' button which seemed to annoy you in your little review :D
Well it annoyed everyone TBH:rotfl:, especially 'Mr.C' (you'll see him on X10 owners thread part 1) , who seems to have gone quiet now:eek:
He didn't like the remote at all, for some reason:confused:

duncfunk

The only time i would rule out a LG is... anytime:rotfl::devil:

Geez would you ever stop the LG bashing...

Lets face it, there's only a couple of questionable reasons why you buy the X10 over the PQ6000 - reliability (even though no one really knows how good this will be on the NEW LG's) and the fear of IR. Several users have had NO issues with IR and I know of a couple of people who've ended up with nice black lines down the middle of their Panasonic sets in the first year of ownership (make of that what you will).

Most people will agree that the LG is a nicer looking set and it's supposed to have superior sound as well as divx playback from usb.

So we get that you choose the 'safe option' but how about singing the praises of your own set rather than making dubious opinions about the LG.

I'll be buying one of these very sets next week and I have to say that most of the unbiased opinions on here have been very helpful so far :)

TUT

FAO : duncfunk

This was posted yesterday in this thread

I had my LGPQ6000 delivered at 2.30pm today, got it up on the wall as soon as i could got everything connected to it and it was working brilliantly.....
bring on 6.30pm. After only 4 hours of using the tv the sound stopped working, tried a master reset and unplugged it but nothing!!

Eventually got through to the TechGuys who gave me a return authorising number to pass onto dixons aftersales.

Does anyone know if this means that they have authorised for a new tv to be delivered and i just need to speak to dixons to get a date sorted. I had to take the day off work to wait for it to be delivered today as they wouldn't send it to my work, guess i'll have to take another one off!

Thats no good for a 4 hours old TV , right ??

duncfunk

It certainly isn't but you can't base reliability on one case. If there were a number of threads on faulty LG sets then I might start to get concerned about buying one. Like any product you're bound to get a few bad eggs. I'm sure a search for 'faulty panasonic' would bring a few threads up but it doesn't mean that they're not reliable in the main.

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Faulty sets are still by only the minority, the vast mojority are still working sets and the owner wont run into problems throughout its life until its end, there do appear to be more faulty LGs than Panasonics, but Panasonic are one of those brands who build everything for stability and reliability, you should expect it from Panasonic, and even so, the Panasonics aren't completely fault proof.

SteveW1970

Standard Member
My old 36" CRT Panny faulted after 4 months of ownership...

..8 months (and countless letters, phone calls etc etc etc) later, Comet decided to offer me a refund :suicide:

cheapskate58

FAO : duncfunk

This was posted yesterday in this thread

Thats no good for a 4 hours old TV , right ??

No, but you don't know the cause. Did he damage it while wall mounting it? Was it dropped during the delivery process?

There are loads of products that fail straight out of the box or shortly after - in fact if a product's gonna fail that's when it's most likely to happen.

Just more LG bashing:rolleyes:

markfawcett

TvBox really does like his Pannies, doesn't he? :D

I have a PZ82 and my parents have a PX80. Both are decent TV's but there really isn't a lot of difference between the big manufacturers' sets (LG, Samsung, Panasonic etc..)

I had a Sharp 46X20 LCD before my Panny and it also had a lovely picture (possibly even nicer than the 2 Panasonics I mentioned?). Unfortunately it suffered from "banding" so it had to be returned :(

The bottom line is that if you stick with a known brand you can't really go wrong.

Last edited:

tvbox

Distinguished Member
TvBox really does like his Pannies, doesn't he? :D
well at the moment, yes. :rotfl:. May consider a 103" B&O later:rolleyes::suicide:;)
LG's not bad TBH, but after seeing them in the shop, was a bit disappointed. And, my friends have PX70s too, and are very pleased with them (apart from that Vertical Line prob:eek::eek::eek:)

Monarch

Distinguished Member
LG's not bad TBH, but after seeing them in the shop

shop? you really can't tell anything in a shop, especially because LGs black filters aren't as dark as the Panasonic ones so the contrast is washed out a lot more in the very bright lights. I've tested the two side by side in dim lighting with remotes and some *basic* calibration things

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022