Good turntable dealer?

jonno73

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a trusted turntable dealer in the Midlands area at all please?

I'm ready to take a big leap up from my heavily upgraded Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, but want to spend a bit of time getting some advice from an expert.

I've had it since 2015, and have literally added every possible upgrade to it they've brought out. I could/should have just bought a £2k-3k-ish TT easily at the start, but have instead gone on the annual upgrade path....and also quite enjoyed it if truth be told.

However, ever since my 3 year old daughter decided to scrape the 2M Bronze stylus over the acrylic platter, which I like-for-like replaced it, I've never found the sound to be as enjoyable and the surface noise seems to have hugely increased! (which makes no sense, as I believe I've fitted the new Bronze stylus properly, checked the downward tracking force, religiously cleaned my records, keep in anti-static sleeves and always do a pre & post-play brush off).

I'm also considering a Graeme Slee Accession Phono Stage (currently on a Project Tube Box DS) and the rest of the chain is a Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 with Dali Rubicon 5 speakers.

Would also of course welcome any thoughts or helpful suggestions from the greater 'hive mind' of AVF!

Thanks guys :)
Jon

Audio affair in Brum, they stock Linn, Sota, Project and Thorens-
Used them alot in the past I can recommend them.

Analogue Seduction in Peterborough.

A new stylus often can reveal increased surface noise. Give it a few hours of play and it should calm down a bit. 2M Bronze is a great cartridge. If I were you I'd maximise budget on a new TT/arm and stick your 2MB on it at least to start with.

If you want advice from an expert, why do you intend going to a dealer?

Dealers are great for advising you on stuff that they stock. They tend to be poor for advice on stuff that they don't stock. Which is fair enough and is logical when you think about it.

Get a fully working, well engineered idler or direct drive deck. Garrard 301 or 401. Lenco. 1970's to 1980's Japanese direct drive. Something heavy and metalic. Not light and plasticky.

They're not in the Midlands (further north in Warrington) but I had great service from Doug Brady HiFi when I bought my SL1200GR. No hassle, lots of help and advice etc.

They've got a decent showroom with much more expensive and exotic brands in stock too.

Have you considered letting an expert take a look at your current setup to bring it back to how it was before the accident? It might be worth considering but upgradeitis is a powerful force so good luck with whatever you decide to spend your money on.

Analogue Seduction in Peterborough.

A new stylus often can reveal increased surface noise. Give it a few hours of play and it should calm down a bit. 2M Bronze is a great cartridge. If I were you I'd maximise budget on a new TT/arm and stick your 2MB on it at least to start with.
Cheers DT - that's a great shout. I'll give it a few more hours over the xmas break as a starting point and see if it improves.

I did try and get something going with AS a year or so ago, and whilst not unhelpful, I definitely got the feeling they were a little stretched for time so might not be able to strike up a 'meaningful relationship'!

They're not in the Midlands (further north in Warrington) but I had great service from Doug Brady HiFi when I bought my SL1200GR. No hassle, lots of help and advice etc.

They've got a decent showroom with much more expensive and exotic brands in stock too.

Have you considered letting an expert take a look at your current setup to bring it back to how it was before the accident? It might be worth considering but upgradeitis is a powerful force so good luck with whatever you decide to spend your money on.
Thanks, I'll check them out - I do head north from time to time (pre-c***d anyway).

I'd be delighted if someone would check out what I've got, that's exactly the sort of thing I've struggled for in recent years (Audible Fidelity used to be great with me for that sort of help but they went under a few years ago). I'm not sure if that sort of thing still happens in the new world now!..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom