• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Good Time (2017) Directed by Ben and Joshua Safdie

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
Good-Time-New-Poster.jpg

New trailer

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
Saw this last night. Need to discuss. Anybody else seen it?

I thought Pattinson and Ben Safdie where bloody excellent, the film not so much it started of excellent but lost track for me halfway through, nowhere near the brilliance of Heaven Knows What but these Safdie brothers are definitely ones too watch in the coming years, I’d still give it a solid 7.5 especially for the performances.

Smallclone

I thought Pattinson and Ben Safdie where bloody excellent, the film not so much it started of excellent but lost track for me halfway through, nowhere near the brilliance of Heaven Knows What but these Safdie brothers are definitely ones too watch in the coming years, I’d still give it a solid 7.5 especially for the performances.

Bear with me here.

I'd rate it slightly higher. I thought it was very very good. After it finished though - I thought about the ending .....

And I thought ok, it's a straight up - Connie goes to prison ending and Nicki is better off without him anyway free to pursue his therapy and we get a happy ending for him. Then I thought...................... what if...................... more or less the entire film is just Connie wrestling with his inner demons? The entire robbery and aftermath is just a rouse to show us how he is completely at odds with the therapy his brother is undergoing, as he disapproves of it - but ultimately knows it is the best solution.

1) The analogy of taking the wrong person out of care when he escapes from the hospital ("I thought my brother was someone else")
2) The constant shots of the tv newscaster - representing his guilt at the situation
3) The guy he took out of care falling to his death at the end - showing that this is what will happen to his brother if he takes him out of care.

Also - At the end we hear the therapist say "Your brother has been "responsible" by making this decision". But going to jail wouldn't be responsible would it, and lets face it, Nick would have been in the slammer with him if it had been real (does a jury really believe that Nick wasn't the other guy holding up the bank?). How is he even "responsible" as a guardian when in prison? So does all this point to the fact we are seeing Connie coming to this conscious but tough decision of sending his brother to care? Is it all in his mind?

Either this or I have needlessly over analysed the bejeeesus out of this film.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Thought this was decent, I struggle with films where the character you’re rooting for keeps making bad decisions, getting himself in deeper sh*t and hurting everyone he brings into his messed up life. So I found it a hard watch. A good film however with terrific performances across the board. 7/10

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
cross between Nightcrawler (grittyness) & It Follows (Soundtrack)

This had a great mostly electronic soundtrack, the film was very good, but felt it lost steam some where along the way 7.5/10

Benny Safdie
as Nick Nikas was great, loss of his character early on screen did not help.

Last edited:

BradYoung04

Standard Member
Hmmm, I thought this was an overrated mess in the end. The in-your-face soundtrack kept the pressure up, which I liked, but the film and the characters just pinballed about with zero plan or consistency. It did start strong and I thought the leads all played well but after
he broke his "brother" out the hospital
it all just went haywire and never pulled it back.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom