Good system to gapless playback of lossless files from a USB drive

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by paddybliss, Mar 11, 2013.

1. paddybliss

paddybliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise on a good micro system or CD player/amp/ DAB (or internet radio) combo that will play lossless files gaplessly from a USB drive and with as little loss of quality as possible?

I have several hundred albums in Apple Lossless (can convert to Flac if necessary), with many more still to encode, so it must have a browse / search function that is easy to use.

Looking for the best sounding system possible for upto £500 inc speakers. Have ruled out Brennen and Cocktail Audio as not being up to it sound wise, Denon Ceol RCD N8, Marantz M CR603 and Onkyo CR N755 might work, or could go down the separates route.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jimholt

Jimholt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I use Jriver media centre software which is loaded on a netbook. This gives gap less audio and you can also use a smartphone to control it as a remote. You could load your lossless audio onto the netbook via usb. You will need a way of getting the audio to your hifi, either by dac or the internal sound card of the netbook. Speakers are a personal thing and you really should demo as many as possible. Used speakers can give you more for your money.

3. paddybliss

paddybliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying. I have this as down as one option. If I was to do it I might as well get a laptop with a big enough HD for all my music and a CD drive for ripping. Even a second hand laptop with a DAC is still a bit expensive for me, and it seems a somewhat over engineered solution. I was hoping to get a system with all this included rather than rely on bolt ons. It seems the Denon Ceol can, but the in other ways superior Marantaz 603 can't (though this thread is about streaming, i'm still unclear about using a USB drive):

Marantz MCR 603 versus Denon Ceol Piccolo *Gapless* | whathifi.com

A secondhand Squeezebox Classic controlled by my old Android phone might fit the bill, though I will also then need to invest in a NAS.

Anything else out there I should consider?