Question Good sub to go with Radius One?

rhoamish

Standard Member
I have a smallish lounge (approx. 20ft x 14ft). I have a Denon AVR X3300W, Monitor Audio Radius One soundbar, rear Radius 45s and a KEF Kube 2 subwoofer.

I'm really happy with the sound quality, but I suspect I could benefit from a new subwoofer. With some sources, the bass is lacking. I've read a bit about the BK subs and how they can produce bass from the front channels, if its missing from the LFE track. Two questions: what subs should I consider, and how do I hook up a BK sub?

(I was unsure about the Radius One but it's such a neat solution. Obviously the stereo image isn't great, but the clarity is superb. Also, I can't quite believe the R45s sound as good as they do: how on earth do rear tweeters work??)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The new P12-PR could be quite ideal. It should have plenty of output down to 20hz and as BK has said it´s quite at home in HT system just below Monolith which is too large for most people. Read the AVF review (click on editors pick). Available from next month forward latest info. If it´s too expensive then the normal Platinum P12-300SB (399£).

Do keep in mind that subwoofer placement alone can make dramatic difference. The Kube 2 is 8" PR design with passive driver. Also when you run Audussey it sets the bass quite anemic levels so make sure to tweak things and try Audussey Dynamic EQ. I would at least try the Kube in front corner (furthest from any opening) you get some boundary gain to get the most from it and XT32 flattens any peaks so it should sound fine. Having the sub nearly middle of front wall and moving it to corner can make dramatic change, as one member said; night and day difference.

R45 should be placed close to wall/wall mounted and then the rear firing tweeter will bounce the sound to listener creating bit more dispersed soundfield. I have read quite mixed feelings from those, but nice to hear you like them! :)

rhoamish

Standard Member
Hi Gasp, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I did wonder if the BK XLS200 might be a better size for my lounge. Should I cosider anythng else at this size and price point?

The Kube is in the corner of my lounge at the moment. The bass is good...sometimes. I have a feeling that the high frequency inputs on the BK might be beneficial, but is that true? Does Audyssey not sort this out?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I did wonder if the BK XLS200 might be a better size for my lounge. Should I cosider anythng else at this size and price point?

The Kube is in the corner of my lounge at the moment. The bass is good...sometimes. I have a feeling that the high frequency inputs on the BK might be beneficial, but is that true? Does Audyssey not sort this out?

20x14 = 6 x 4,2 meters. Not a small room and XLS200 wouldn´t be that big jump from Kef. If the price is issue then consider the cheaper P12. It won`t cost much more than XLS200, but will be noticeable jump.

Even better if one of these finishes would suit your room, then pull the plug! XXLS400 costs normally 460£, these are new grade-b in mint shape with full warranty. Sold by BK (just different channel). So for the same price as P12 you get better model with Peerless driver and beefier amp. It doesn´t have the auto on/off feature though if that is important.

You meant high level connection? That is usually used with stereo amps or for hifi oriented system. For av-receiver with movies stick with LFE connection.

Adding 2nd Kube 8 is option to get smoother response if you have uneven bass now, but there has been so many threads about amp failures in the Kef Kubes that for me it would be risky buy. But if you feel wild and want to risk it buying 2nd hand then that is option still.

rhoamish

Standard Member
I apologise for not replying earlier, life got in the way.

I took your advice and played around with the Audyssey settings. I must have spent about 2 hours mucking about, but the results are phenomenal: I am way happier with my subwoofer now! I'm not sure why I didn't do this earlier...

I think I'll put off an upgrade for the time being, I'm really pleased with how this now sounds. Even music sounds pretty good, considering the limitations of using a soundbar. The Radius One is great if you want a subtle-looking system.

marksson420

Novice Member
Hi,

Glad to hear your enjoying the radius one. I was initially after a radius 225 centre and two radius 90s but, like you, i'm restricted in space.

Would you still recommend the radius one?

rhoamish

Standard Member
I would, definitely. I'm using one with R45 rears and the Kef Kube sub, and I'm really pleased with it. Very musical, with superb detail while maintaining warmth. Obviously, the soundstage isn't as good as with a conventional set-up but having widely-spaced rears goes some way to addressing that. I'm happy with the compromise.

marksson420

Novice Member
I would, definitely. I'm using one with R45 rears and the Kef Kube sub, and I'm really pleased with it. Very musical, with superb detail while maintaining warmth. Obviously, the soundstage isn't as good as with a conventional set-up but having widely-spaced rears goes some way to addressing that. I'm happy with the compromise.
Nice one @rhoamish I'm gonna try pick one up second hand for £250

marksson420

Novice Member
Do you have a picture of yours by any chance? I have a 55" TV and the radius one is 98cm long, wondering it'll look a bit off.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom