Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Good sub FAQ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Fonzerelli, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im in the market for a sub very soon, but i havent a clue what to look for. so does anyone know any good FAQ's/guides that will help me understand the features and working of a subwoofer, im lost and dont know what an svs is or how to set one up or anything :thumbsup:

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    This forum :confused: you know.....you read bits, do searches, ask lots of questions :rolleyes:

I dont imagine theres a perfect guide, that gives perfect answers. If you ask more specific questions it would make it easier to answer: Whats it for ? budget? room size ?

An SVS is a subwoofer that is supplied direct from the USA, making it very competitive with home bought subwoofers. Subwoofers in the SVS, velodyne range (amongst several) are considered to be super subs. Usually going well below 25Hz at serious sound pressure levels. They produce clean, undistorted bass that you feel as well as hear.

3. Fonzerelli

Fonzerelli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using this forum is what i do, but asking simple questions gets peoples goats :D i was told on the dvd forums that av forums goes mad for the Velodyne VX10 is it called? they reckon its the only sub to go for under £500.

Thanks for explaining SVS for me, what does it stand for?

My budget for a sub is up to around £800 but could go higher if i really liked a sub, ive always had Rel and had it set up for me, this time i want to make sure im getting the best for my money, so im looking at other brands :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    That will teach you to believe everything that you read elsewhere. :D

The Velodyne VX-10 was a budget subwoofer selling for £200 and was good value for money, finding quite a few customers here but that was before Mordaunt Short bought out their MS309 to rave reviews and BK Electronics started selling their XLS200 directly to the public.

SVS is an American subwoofer manufacturer selling rather large and very good subs direct to the public at comparatively cheap prices. Their website is at http://www.svsubwoofers.com

If you would like advice just let us know how much you wish to spend, how large your room is, what kind of other speakers you have and what your main use of a subwoofer will be and we will do our best to offer you our unbiased advice