Good stereo amp to pair with Missions 705a speakers

markreed89

Hey everyone, so I usually listen to everything from movies to music through my B&W panorama soundbar paired with a rel q200e sub and have been pretty happy with that but recently I found a pair of Mission 705a (a for active subs) speakers for £100 which I thought was a bargain really so I've grabbed them. So now I need an amp of course. Can anyone recommend a good budget amp to pair them with? Used is absolutely fine and I'd like to keep it no more than £100 if possible.

P.s. an optical input would be handy for my Chromecast audio

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

Nico72

If your budget is under 100 and you need digital inputs, your best bet is to go for a vintage AV receiver. Pre HDMI or early HDMI models from 10+ years ago. You can probably get a top of the range model from 10 years ago with lots of power and plenty of inputs for £100.

FootHealer

Its hard to think of anything new that would drive those kinds of speakers and have a sub out for £100. You'd need to go used or step up to £199 for something like this:

It actually have some good reviews...just don't expect it to sound like a class leader. It is a £200 integrated amp, after all. And no sub out.

Used may be the way to go. I'd be very careful buying old amps though (10 years plus), as they are often junk by that age, unless they were especially high end...even then, they could be junk. Be careful.

Last edited:

Nico72

By the way the Chromecast Audio has analogue out and a decent onboard DAC. All you need is 3.5 mm jack to stereo RCA adaptor available from Amazon or eBay.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Do you use an optical cable to connect your TV to the soundbar, if so, then with your budget, all you need to do is find any stereo or av receiver with that connection as it should do the job fine. If you are using an av receiver, just be sure it comes with the mic so it can work with its own room eq system

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Something like this would do the job nicely I think. Arcam AVR tend to sound reasonable (for an AVR) on music and you can even Biamp if you speakers have two sets of binding posts (removing the link obviously). Also, Arcam of this era don't include room correct IIRC so either one less thing to worry about or if you room is not good acoustically this could be a down side. Has sub woofer integration if needed later. These were around £1500 new and has 75W per channel so plenty for your speakers.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
That, or a AVR280 or if an AVR350 could be found would produce a special sound. These models also have a simple HDMI video switch if you wanted to use it. As for setting the levels if you want to play around with these, you can use a sound pressure meter which has C setting with a slow option

password1

Distinguished Member
If you dont need surround channels, a stereo amp would offer better music performance.

There are plenty of old stereo amps for under £100. For digital input, you can add a cheap DAC off ebay.

markreed89

Hey everyone, just to let you know I went with an arcam avr100 for £30 off eBay, works and sounds lovely. Very very happy. All of the avr 200/250/300 used have the overhearing issue unless you pay £200 for one that's been upgraded

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom