1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good specs for good gaming

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Frazal666, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I am planning on getting a new laptop. As I am going to play games, I wanted to ask what are decent specs for a good gaming laptop. One of the games I will be playing is NFS Underground 2, so maybe someone can reccomend me specs for decent quility on this game. If someone wants to reccomend ma a good laptop, my budget is £1000. Thanks.

2. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know any specific models but most at the £1000 range should be fast enough

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just been over to dell.co.uk, and built my own laptop. I put a Pentuim 4 with Hyper-threading 3ghz with a WSXGA+ Screen, 512MB Ram, 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics, and thats it (Everything else I left default). Would that be good? (Doesnt have to be perfect, but decent at least)

4. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Radeon 9700s are great cards, I don't know what the mobile version is like though, but I expect it'll be only slightly slower. The P4 3Ghz should be more than enough, though, and will take some pressure off the 9700.
    512MB should be enough, but see if you can get 1GB's worth pretty cheaply.

5. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What if I get 64MB graphics and 1024MB RAM? Or is 128MB/512MB better?

6. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I don't know. Most recent games require 128MB cards don't they, otherwise they'd be relying on accessing the CPU's RAM which will take a bit longer.
    If you use Windows98 on your laptop it'll cut down on the amount of RAM used, but then, most peoplecan't tand to use 98 after using XP.
    I'd go for the 128/512 out of the choice if it's easier and cheaper to upgrade the RAM in future, but I don't know much at all about laptops. 512 should be enough.

What are the prices of the cards and the memory?

7. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graphics is default, and also a 256MB one, but costs an extra £150. Ram default is 256MB, £94 to upgrade to 512MB, and £260!!! to upgrade to 1024MB. There is 768MB, but thats £224.

8. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the 512MB then with the 128MB 9700, 1GB ram cards are still very expensive. The extra £150 for the 256 9700 is far too much too. So definitely the 128/512 combo.

9. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't found the recommended requirements for NfSU2 but someone says that managed to get it to run well on a 1800Mhz Althon with a crappy 9600SE card on high settings.

10. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, yeah, find out if the LCD display runs at 20ns or better, many 25ns ghost badly with games like that.

11. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will that produce decent graphics? The screen will be WSXGA+, and I only wanted to upgrade the screen is too have a good gaming view, so itll be pointless if the graphics cant fufill the screens potential. If not, can I upgrade it later?

12. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mean by "Upgrade later" Is the RAM. What do you mean "Oh, yeah, find out if the LCD display runs at 20ns or better, many 25ns ghost badly with games like that."

13. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's a new ladptop it'll almost definitely have a decent monitor. 25ns (nanoseconds) is the time TFTs/LCD monitors take to fresh the screen - if a game is running at 60 fps is needs to change the image on screen 1/60 seconds (0.016.7). 25ns monitors refresh the screen every 0.025 seconds so is too slow to keep up with the changes - it'll "ghost" - you'll see some slight blurring - especially when turning on NfSU2. On some 25ns screens the blurring is less apparent, and on 20ns and faster you don't notice at all, especially with 16ns screens. There should be some information about the screen on the specs page of that laptop you're buying. You can always plug your desktop's monitor into the laptop anyway if you have problems.

I don't know what the native resolution your screen will use. If it's 1280*720 pixels the 9700 should be fine. It'll be slower at 1600*900 it will be slower, but it should be playable still. I think it'll be 1280*720 though.
    You can run lower resolutions - but LCD monitors have a fixed "native" resolution - any other sizes will make the lower the image quality - distorted pixels and all. Check with someone who owns a modern LCD monitor though.

I don't think you can upgrade the RAM mobile graphics cards. 128MB is enough though. 512MB system RAM should be fine too - it'll be faster and more efficient with 1GB but at that price it's not worth it - wait a year or so until 1GB RAM cards/chips are much better value

14. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1680 x 1050 is the display on WSXGA+, or should I Choose WXGA (1280 x 800)? Ill try and look for the Nanosecond refresh later. Thanks.

15. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know sorry. I haven't used an LCD type monitor in years. the 1280*800 should work great with the 9700, but if it's an oldish LCD the refresh rate might be 25ns. I can't help you with this bit really though :(

16. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a Toshiba laptop that is "only" eighteen months old, 1.5GHz Pentium, 512 mb ram and a 16mb graphics card....

I can still do everything I want to withit, except play the latest games and that's the problem with a laptop, you cannot upgrade the graphics card because it's attached directly to the motherboard.

Basically, whatever you buy now will be fine, so buy the best spec you can comfortably afford and it will last you a little longer.

If you're not in a rush to get the thing, severeal manufacturers are moving over to PCI-Express graphics cards, which will allow you to upgrade in the future.

Have a look at www.rockdirect.com for example, their latest laptop, the Xtreme Ti has a PCI-Express 256mb ATI X800 fitted...Not bad for a laptop!

17. amped2go

amped2go

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hey Flashman that Xtreme TI has a weight of 5.5Kg, so you might want to get a push chair for that baby :)

18. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im gonna send an e-mail to Dell asking the refresh rate, cant find it on the site. Hopefully they will awnser quickly...

19. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I know it's heavy, but I usually have my laptop sat on a desk anyway...It's just useful to occasionally be able to move the thing around.

I wouldn't personally plump for the Rock one for that very reason, the fact it's big and heavy, but what I was saying was that it is easily upgraded, something the current range of laptops cannot do, so you are not stuck with a dud a couple of years down the line.....

20. amped2go

amped2go

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Fair 'nuff, I was looking at the specs. thinking these are amazing for a laptop, where's the catch and then came across the weight.

21. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Plus the fact that I don't have the thick end of two garnd to spend on the thing!

22. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flash, aren't the GPUs upgradable? I read that current laptops have a small slot of some sort (I don't mean PCI-E) for GPUs and some have onboard video RAM. Any truth in that?

23. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    How about the laptops found at shopacer.co.uk? These look like better value than the Dell machines, especially the Athlon 64 based ones.

Russell

24. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As far as I know, until this new development of PCI-Express, you can't upgrade graphics in a laptop, as it's actually part of the motherboard and not something you can remove or swop...That's the pain with my current machine, it's a 1.8Ghz processor and 512 mb of memory, so could manage a fair few of recent games, except the ATi Mobility Radeon with only 16 mb video memory and there's nothing I can do about upgrading that...

I'm not aware of any slot in GPU via the PC card space?

25. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is better? Depends what you want really. Have a look at this (Skip to the near bottom if your impatitiant like me) http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/roundupmobo/athlon-64-3400.html.

The rock thing laptops must be expensive. No price, how are you supposed to buy? I mean, 3.6ghz? The dell xps has that and its over a grand without a screen! imagine this!

Havent revieved a letter from dell yet, but went on dell forums, and someone (Not a dell official, I can assure) said that the gaming is excelent, so I guess the refresh rate is quite good at least. Dell has that double memory thing up again, good value (Or compared to what ive seen anyway).

26. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laptops are fastly becoming great value, especially considering they use a fraction of the electricity of an ATX type PC. I think I want one.

27. Martin_89

Martin_89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mobile 9700 is about the same speed as the desktop 9600XT (which i have) and it plays NFS underground 2 no problem.

get the 128MB graphics as ram can be upgraded graphics ram can't.