1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good speakers for both Film AND listening to music?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jabberwock1977, Jun 18, 2004.

1. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all -

I would have thought that this is a popular question. However.. i've had a good look around and whilst some threads touch on it there isn't too much info.. if I'm wrong feel free to point me in the right direction.

Anyway... My big B&Ws are too big and ugly for my newly redecorated flat so I have decided that it's time to get a home cinema/surround sound system. I'm aware that the majority don't do music particularly well but I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a setup that they have found produces good results for both music and film-watching/game-playing?

I was thinking along the lines of a Denon Reciever (2803) and some Kef eggs. However.. I've read here and elsewhere that these have poor quality music playback with very little midrange (maybe that's the general prob with surround speakers?). So I spose my budget is about £1000 for receiver and speakers though I could go a lot lower!

I should point out that I'm not a major audiophile though I am very into music (that contradicts a bit but I hope you see what i mean).

Any advice gratefully received.

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that this should be a popular question. FWIW I can't see how a speaker can be good at one without being good at the other. After all, to reproduce film dialogue requires a good midrange, precisely what you need for music.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that people are probably less fussy with movies as the sound is only part of the overall effect whilst people tend to listen far more carefully to music and any shortcomings in the speakers will be shown up far more.

Anyway, have a look at the JM Labs Sib & Cub setup from Creative Audio here which has had some good reviews

4. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian.. I'd read a little bit about those as being better than the Kefs... your post has made me check them out and it looks like they may be just the job.. that looks like a good shop too.