Question Good speaker set for Marantz SR7012?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Oswin, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Oswin

Oswin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I decided to upgrade my older home set (Had a Sony str840, combined with the Jamo S628)

So far i replaced my receiver with the Marantz SR7012 (really happy!) and my new sub woofer (the SVS PB-2000) should arrive on tuesday. however, i feel my jamo's need a sufficient replacement to!

i'm considering the Kef r700's with the kef r200c. but i am open to suggestions.

anyone care to help me out?

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    R700s need careful placement, not too close to a corner. Post a rough plan of your room with dimensions and preferred speaker positions. Although the 600 is recommended to partner the 700s the 200 will do just as good a job, that's what I use with my 300s. KEF do seem to partner Marantz and Denon very well.

3. Oswin

Oswin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Gibbsy! thanks for your respone :)

i made a rough schematic of my living room, the red squares is where my current speakers and subwoofer is.

4. Oswin

Oswin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    KEF LS50's all round

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,712
    LS50s are a good choice, especially if music makes up the majority of the listening but for film they, too me, lacked the depth of body and missed out somewhat on action scenes. Even on music, which is different for everyone, I preferred the mids of the R300s. There is a big difference in the way my Denon X6200, comparable to the 7012, drives my R300s to that of my Rega Elicit R for stereo music.

As for your positioning that looks fine and the depth of the room will take some filling and the R700s will fit the bill. However now seeing the plan I think, again because of the room size, the R600C should be employed keeping all the drivers the same.

7. Oswin

Oswin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the input guys! im more partial the floor standers to be honest.

man this is gonna cost me a arm and a leg lol, oh well!

8. Hippiekiller

Hippiekiller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just come across this thread as I have the SR7012 and delivery of my R700 is a week away. Oswin, how did you find them in the end paired with the receiver? Also did you use 2 of the assignable channels to bi-amp or did you only connect via the L&R channels? Any tips would be welcome bud.

9. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +640
    Having just seen this thread, in my passed experiences, I always the R700 to be the most tricky out of the old R-Series to drive. I always found that they required far more power to keep them under control than that other speakers in the R-Series. So using four channels to control the R700's from your Marantz will not make any difference and could make matters worst.

Because of this I would either leave them as single wired, or it you really wish to run bi-wired speaker cable to the R700's I would combine them at the amp end so they work as a traditional single ended cable with both positive's and negatives bound together to create a single positive and negative connection (for each speaker - do not get them crossed over though as this would be bad). Most banana plugs or BFA plugs (these usually deliver a better connection at the amp end I've found) will accommodate cables which have been finished this way.

It's nothing out of the ordinary to run your cables this way and you'll find many people run cables this way from a each channel when it comes to the front three speakers. I know I do, to be truthful, my fronts stereo speakers are tri-wired and as my speakers do not have binding posts to connect high, low and mid-range, I have no option but to follow this recommendation :)