1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good speaker cables really necessary?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kenwooder, Dec 21, 2001.

1. kenwooder

kenwooder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a kenwood home theatre system. is it really necessary to replace the original speaker cables with better ones, eg. monster cables? Will the audio really sounds better (or much better) with monster cables?

if yes, should only the front and center speaker cables be replaced or should it includes the surround speaker cables too?

:confused:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Some people say speaker cable makes a difference, others say it doesnt.

Personally, i think its worth replacing the cables your kit came with, for better quality cables but i wouldnt go mad spending a fortune.

I bought some Chord Carnival cable (about 3 quid a meter) and it did improve the overall sound.

Some speaker cables are an absolute fortune (hundreds per meter!!) but I wouldnt spend more on the cables than the cost of my system!!

Others may disagree!!!

cheers

3. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi KenWooder,

Have a look at the thread below

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...s.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23358[/url]

Its good and looong discussion on the matter. Its a fairly contentious subject - mainly because its a matter of personal taste.

If you cannot get a demo with different cable, try buying some for the front, and centre speakers (normally shorter runs than the rears too)- and seeing if its worth the investment. As always your ears should be a good control over your wallet.

Aside from the audio changes difference cables (perceived or otherwise) - the thicker the cable, the harder it comes to route round the room. I've got a loads of right angle bends to route my cable round - I'm trying to hide the cable on top of a picture rail.
    And at each corner the cable curls up slightly, and peaks over the rail.

I did use bell wire when I misjudged the length of cable I needed, and although it was inoffensive - its was very flat sounding. But as Jase says, "Don't spend a fortune".

Not having tested a whole bunch of different cables, I'd guess at the reason that it is a much disagreed upon subject is that cable quality does suffer more that most AV items from deminishing returns as the price increase. If it made that much difference I think there would me much more consensus on subject.

Cheers,
    Ian.

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does make a big difference, including surrounds, try Cable Talk 3.1, less than 3 pounds a meter, I use it for center and surrounds, it is very good with the mids and highs, not the best with bass, but as the subwoofer handles those anyway...

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Lowrider and noticed quite a big difference when I upgraded to Cable Talk 3.1 but I wouldn't spend any more than that.

6. kenwooder

kenwooder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone!

looks like i've to spend a bit of money getting better quality speaker cables afterall... anyway, it's christmas, no harm spending some dough right?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

:) :p :D

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still cant beleive cables are such a confused matter! They make a difference, but the law of diminishing returns means you spend in correlation with the value of the system!

8. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
  9. stefaan

stefaan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0