1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good speaker cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wynouk, May 2, 2002.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where is a good place to buy speaker cable online or whatever at good prices in the UK.

2. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Two questions:

- does this Cat5 cabling actually work? Sounds a bit wacky really - and I believe the conductors are extremely thin from what I remember from last time I did some office network recabling ....

- assuming the answer to the above is "yes", can you use it for long cable runs (10 - 15m)?

Dave48

7. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Kimber 8TC on my fronts, but due to this costing more than a small detached bungalow I opted to use QED Original for my rears, 4 x 12 metres for just under £100 was quite enough to spend. I personaly wouldn't use networking cable, I guess it depends on your system specs and budget.

8. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having just got my tape measure out, I'm looking at 2 x 10m for the surrounds and 2 x 16m for the rears, so a total of 52m.

Assuming I don't go for Cat5 cabling, the options I have seen locally are:

- Monitor loudspeaker cable (2 x 2.5mm2, white) for about £1.70 per m
    - Monster SFL-500 SuperFlat (2 x 4mm2, white) for about £5 per m
    - Monster SFLM-500 SuperFlat Mini (2 x 1.25mm2, white) for about £2.20 per m
    - Monster XP NW-500 (2 x 2.0mm2, white) for about £1.80 per m
    - Monster XPHP NW-500 ((2 x 2.0mm2, white) for about £2.80 per m
    - various flat cables by Oehlbach (e.g. MagicMovieHomeTheatre 2.5) for about £1,70 per m.

Anyone (a) used any of this stuff, (b) can recommend it, (c) know if it will work for long cable runs?

Dave48

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Puresonic 7845 , 10m@ £12.35 . From www.cpc.co.uk i'm not suggesting it's the best but for the price it's hard to beat.

10. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Quote from HiFi Choice:

"Puresonic 7845 was arguably the most manipulative cable in the bunch. The Fugees track sounded almost out of key, but not unpleasant - at least not until the bass kicked in. At this point, the sound became messy and seemingly random in accent.

Puresonic's 7845 bass was both ponderous and corpulent. Granted it was weighty, but more in the style of Billy Bunter than by adding any true muscle. There is similarity between this sound and that of some of AudioQuest's less successful ventures in the past. The 7845 is perfect if you are after that distinctive, manipulative, US high-end sound on the cheap - but that is not the sound we like."

Groan, why is this never easy ....

Dave48

11. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    These guys are obviously experts and know what they are talking about :rolleyes: . I don't recognise the product from that description,nor would i recomend it if it was total crap. As i said for the price ,why don't you place an order for 10m try it on the fronts and if you feel it's rubbish sell it.

12. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can vouch for the cat 5 speaker cable.....sounds awesome....

and the price goes down to 30p a mtr if u buy 100m or over from maplins ;)

and its a lovely purple color.....:p ...which reminds me to sort that trunking out

13. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Replying to Lynx's point: I am highly suspicious of cable reviews in general, as although I have with my own ears heard significant differences between cables, they have never been as radical as some of these reviewers make out. I sometimes wonder if they have a database of phrases and just choose 10 random ones to make them sound more interesting. In some of the German HiFi magazines they rank cables from 1 to 15 stars - but how you can rank something like cables to that level of resolution, I don't know. 1 to 5 stars is a more realistic approach.

Replying to Respectamonkeee - how did you make your Cat5 cables? Looking on the web they seem to talk about dismantling several cables and braiding them together - sounds like far more effort than it is worth, I'd rather spend the $$ on ready-made cable.

I had a look last night at the insides of some Cat5 cabling I happened to have lying around at home. This had 4 twisted pairs of cables with outer shielding. Each of the 8 individual cables had about 6 to 8 conductors in it.

What is the best way of making cables out of this? Do you take 1 cable from each pair and twist these together at each end and the same for the other 4 cables (so that you can connect a red and a black banana plug to each end of a single run of Cat5 cable)?

Assuming it is no more complex than this, I may have a go, since it is so cheap that if it sound rubbish, I can convert it back into computer network cabling ....

Dave48

14. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I detect some understandable cysncism from some, but it really does work very well. :)

I used to use QED silver aniversary, but when I upgraded my speakers to some PMC FB1's I noticed the bass could sound vague and the top end 'screachy'. The PMC's are full range (22-20KHz) speakers and really reveal problems in any sound system. I started the whole process of identifying some decent cable, but stumbled on the CAT5 design. I had an open mind and half a real in the garage so I gave it a go. Fantastic,,no more vague bass or screachy highs fo me. I thought I would leave it cabled for a couple of weeks while I researched some proper cable, but to be honest, I can hear no reason to change it.
    The £'s I saved on cabling has bought a nice little pile of CD's.

I suggest you give it a try, after all its cheap enough to stick in the bin if you dont like the results. (I can see the hifi dealers wincing at the thought of loosing a lucrative revenue stream)

As for the colours, its possible to get all sorts.

enjoy.

15. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As in my previous post on this topic - I'd be interested to hear exactly how you made the cable.

Dave48

16. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dave48 - the cable you have does'nt sound like cat5. You need cat5 utp which just has 4 pairs of twisted single core cables. There are several variations on how to build these cables, but the easiest is the TNT-TripleT described in the link I posted earlier.
    One word of caution, make sure you separate out the pairs accuratly so you dont end up shorting out your amp. Its best to test it with a meter to be sure.

17. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was having a look on the web for Cat5 cables: there seems to be a huge range, with UTP, FTP, S-FTP, S/FTP .... I get the impressions the main differences are the level of shielding.

I'd had a look at the TNT page - but I got the impression that the cables weren't really suited for long cable runs (I am looking for 10+m runs). Also they looked as though they may be a bit too bulky for being domestically acceptable.

If it is possible to make cables using a single run of Cat5 cable (with external shielding) I will probably give this a go. If this is not going to work or be a waste of time, I'll give in and buy bog-standard loudspeaker cable from a local supplier (quality will have to be based on what I can afford per m).

I had also thought about checking the cables with a multimeter before using them - don't want to blow my amp up! Thanks for the reminder though ....

Dave48

18. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agree, the disadvantage is that they are bulky and probably not best suited for long cable runs.

If you are going to use 'normal' speaker cable, I'd suggest using decent quality cable for the front and centre speakers (kimber have a good reputation), and cheaper stuff for the rears.

19. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I already have decent stuff for the Front's - it is the rears I am worried about .... I'll try some stuff from my local dealer and see how that goes.

Dave48

20. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i made my cables as per the instructions on the tnt site

2 lenghts of cat 5 per speaker 1 each for + & -

stripped the individuals cores twisted and solidered them...then added a bannana plug...also used heatshrink to give it a pro look.

made enuff for 5 speakers in probably 2-3 hrs.the cable is a little stiff to start with but soon softens up in normal living room temps and is a bit more useable then.

and the color matches my QED coax digi cable...looks very nice and neat at the back of the amp(for a change heheheh).

Worth doing if u have some time to spare and fancy saving some money on longer speaker runs....

21. philmate

philmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have a look at www.iplacoustics.co.uk, go to cable section. He sells a thin silver plated copper cable for £1.95 a mtr or basic 79 strand for 79p a mtr. Sell decent interconnect aswell.

Philmate.

22. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  23. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Which is the best cable to use for rear speakers (M7DS)? The QED Micro or Ixos 603, both quite cheap. The cable must retain good audio quality aong the length of 10 metres per speaker.

Thanks.

:confused:

24. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using IXOS 6003 12m runs for my rears and could not find better. 603 should not be much different.
    For the fronts I found my fav in TAG cables. Simple and transparent.

Cheers

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for QED Genesis bi-wire @ £60/metre

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually maybe I'm just mad but I've found the termination method is at least as important as the speaker cable itself. Factory termination is much better than putting on 'nana plugs by hand, or bare wire.

Just my opinion, but since moving to factory termination, hiss and high frequency fuzz has dissapeared completely. :)

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    Was going to say that myself, if you are getting expensive cable, get them airlocked.