good, small speakers needed

desibeo

Established Member
Reaction score
I was considering a Denon 3802 for a room circa 12 x 20 ft. Now that I've discovered the YAMAHA RX-V630 it seems to have everything I'm looking for so I think I'll go with that.

Speakers must be small (maybe 5" deep max), but should cover this room well.
I was considering the KEF2005s, but they seem to be hard to come by at the moment. Any suggestions on where to get them (at a good price)? Must ship to Ireland.

Other options would be welcome. I'm not sure about being 'tied' to particular speakers and cables as with the Mission sets -the idea of being forced to cable via the sub is off-putting.

Also, if I _did_ get the KEFs I think I might need a better sub (even though I hear it has been improved lately -is it good enough now?).

Any thoughts on a good sub to match this setup?

Anything at all that you feel may be relevant would be welcome.

-Kevin.

What is your budget?

have you thought of having a look at Uncle Eric's 'Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro's power-buy'

All told, its not a bad deal at all. Price for a classy gloss finish set of 5 plus the sub retails at £1375.
Power-buyers will be paying, £1200 saving £175 and having the thing delivered without you getting out of your jim jams.

If £1200 is within budget then go to the powerbuys and take a look.
These speakers get rave reviews everywhere (even from Uncle Eric:D )

Mark.

I've seen these speakers (and sub) mentioned on these forums but so far I've had no luck in finding them in any online store. Where should I be looking? -Or (if its not a silly question) *what* should I be looking for? -Gallo? Uncle Eric? Powerbuy?

That said, I think £1200 is about £400 over-budget for me, but I might consider getting the speakers without the sub for the moment (perhaps).

After reading another post, I was also considering the KEF eggs with the CHT10 sub (this is from Gallo I think?) but haven't had much luck locating the eggs recently either. :^/

I wonder are distributers "discouraging" having their products available through online stores so as to avoid nasty competitive prices??

-Kevin.

DOH!
I've found the 'Power Buys' forum in the AV Hardware section so discard my silly question above.

Any other advice welcome though.

-Kevin.

my room is a similar size to yours and I have and am very happy with my kit (Denon 3802 & KEF 2005s with REL Strata III sub).

Speakers are nice and small and give a great sound to my ears.

I got my Kef's from M&D design for £620 last year. There were still selling them last time I checked but they had been instructed by KEF to stop selling them over the interenet.

Slight problem I've encountered though is that M&D Design were undergoing a name change.... I forgot to make a note of the new name and now their old website no longer exists....

http://www.mdd-av.com/

Sorry if this is only of limited help.

Regards

AHA!

A quick bit of searching results in http://www.showconnections.com/Web Pages/Index.htm

this would appear to be one of the names they now trade as (I recall they were splitting the business into two 'sister' companies).

I'd definitely reccommend them as their service was impeccable.

Regards

I've got the same problem as you desibeo, either going with Kef Eggs or Gallo's or forget the small speakers and go for some B&Ws from the 600 range. I've got about £1200 to play with and already have a CHT-10.

The Denon 3202 and the Yamaha 630 are the amps i'm deciding about too, for the size my of room I think the 630 would be fine although you get some extra power and some futureproofing with the 3202. Due to my budget I'll probably go with the Eggs and the 3202 or the Gallo's and the 630.

I'm demoing the Eggs and 3202 along with the B&Ws on Tuesday so hopefully that will help me make my mind up - as I really have no idea which system to go with at the moment.

Originally posted by Splinter
I've got the same problem as you desibeo, either going with Kef Eggs or Gallo's or forget the small speakers and go for some B&Ws from the 600 range. I've got about £1200 to play with and already have a CHT-10.

I'm seriously considering the Gallos + sub + brackets now.
My biggest problem though is I checked the conversion rate to euros (I'm in Ireland) and I was fairly shocked to find the sub-£1300 price-tag puts it over 2000euros for the above!

Urgh! That was my entire budget for amp, speakers, sub and cables! :mad:

Damn you Englanders! Why didn't you join the euro when you had the chance!!? (er, don't answer that, I wasn't being _quite_ serious. No offence meant).

I'm now considering getting a CHT10 sub as a replacement to the Gallo sub. This would reduce the cost a bit but would it _really_ effect the performance that much? Anyone?

I think I'll stick with my choice of Yamaha630. Seems plenty future-proof to me.

I asked Eric that question earlier and he said there's no problem running the CHT-10 with the Gallo's. As you said, it all adds up - shame the Gallo's don't have built in brackets like the Eggs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom