Good sites for camping gear / tent recommendation?

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by BandofBrothers, Aug 4, 2013.

1. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    First time posting in this sub-forum, so if I am in the wrong place mods please feel free to move it:smashin:

I am looking at going camping with the gf in a few weeks time, and am looking to buy all the gear from scratch. I used to go camping with my parents years ago when I was a kid (I'm 28 now). I am looking to buy a tent (2 person?) for me and my gf, and the gear I need so I can throw it in the back of my car, and be somewhat self-sufficient i.e. cook some meals on a little burner and not have to reply on a pub meal every single day.

Now, I don't have a clue on what the different brands of tents are like, and I don't just want to walk into a camping store and pick one up without looking at some reviews first (I'm a little OCD at getting the best bang/buck and good quality items).

So, can anyone recommend a decent tent for my purposes, I would preferably like to order online.

Many thanks for any help:smashin:

2. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Outdoor megastore

Or go outdoors

Should set you off on the hunt,
    Good luck :)

3. Iccz

Iccz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,750
    Depends what kind of size tent you want, you say 2 person do you just want it to sleep 2 or do you want "living" space for 2? So a bit of room to do things in it? Do you want to be able to stand in it for example?

The key names in terms of quality and value for money would be the likes of Vango, Outwell, Coleman, Kyham and Gelert. Hi-Gear are pushed a lot by Go-Outdoors and they do some pretty decent stuff, but try find reviews away from Go-Outdoors first before deciding on one of them if you do.

A good site for reviews and such is: The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK

4. DIYlady

DIYlady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,045
    Try visiting Cotswold outdoors. All their staff tend to be outdoor enthusiasts so they use the products that they sell and can speak from personal experience. They also don't pressure you.

5. BandofBrothers

BandofBrothers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Yeah 2 person, with maybe a bit of living space - but to be honest we would be out for much of the day visiting various places, returning at night for a meal and sleep.

I have been looking at the Vango tents - particularly the 2013 Vango Halo 200, which looks okay.