Good Settings for movies,games on sony W905

zecco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

Well i was wondering if anyone have this tv im still a little comfused about this tv i had an old samsung tv before so im very new to this tv. and could guide me with some settings for movies and games.

when i play Saint Row 4 and some others game. it seem a little dark when i put it on game mode and play the games. maybe it just me. but i would like some help and tweaks maybe any advice would help.

and well for "Movies" is there any tweaks you guys could recommend.

much Thanks everyone :) and thanks if you got any idea for some tweaks.

Cinema night mode
Backlight 5
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Hue 0
Colour temp. Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Extra processing off
Motionflow Clear
Film mode auto

Adv settings
Black corrector off
Adv contrast enhancer off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour off
Detail enhancer.off
Edge enhancer off

White balance
R GAIN -1
B gain -2
Rest 0.

Cinema day
As above but
Backlight 9
Contrast 86
Brightness 50
Colour 51
Gamma 0

Game Original (night) mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 82
Brightness 50
Colour 53
Hue 0
Colour temp. Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Extra processing off
Motionflow Off
Film mode auto

Adv settings
Black corrector off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour off
Detail enhancer.off
Edge enhancer off

White balance
R GAIN -1
B gain -2
Rest 0

Game Standard (day) mode
As above
Backlight 7
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Colour 51

Game modes are calibrated for a full rgb signal not tv broadcast/movies.

3D mode
Cinema 1
Backlight max
Contrast 86
Brightness 50
Colour 57
Hue 0
Colour temp warm 2
Sharpness 50
All processing off
Film mode auto

Black corrector off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Rest of the processing off

White balance
R GAIN -2
G gain -7
B gain 0
R bias -1
G bias -1
B bias -1

Precisely, the link I posted ;)

Lol couldn't get the link to work on the app kept getting invalid id error. ;)

Edit: posted my setting over. Strangely the link works now.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Ive just bought this TV. I brought it for gaming really but it's useless and was a waste of ÂŁ1500. My old samsung plasma is a lot better too. Even after having a play about with the picture for hours it's no where near as good as I excepted.

Unfortunately Ive just bought this TV. I brought it for gaming really but it's useless and was a waste of ÂŁ1500. My old samsung plasma is a lot better too. Even after having a play about with the picture for hours it's no where near as good as I excepted.
In what way is it useless?
Motion runs at 1080lines in cinema with motion set to clear, up until recent Samsung plasmas and the last 2 gens of Panasonic plasmas they ran at 900lines.
Colours are nearly accurate out the box in cinema mode.
Gamma and greyscale are more accurate than Samsung and Panasonic plasmas out the box in cinema mode.
Response time on this has been held as one of the lowest input lags seen in years.

Last edited:
Cinema night mode
Backlight 5
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Colour 55
Hue 0
Colour temp. Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Extra processing off
Motionflow Clear
Film mode auto

Adv settings
Black corrector off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour off
Detail enhancer.off
Edge enhancer off

White balance
R GAIN -1
B gain -2
Rest 0.

Cinema day
As above but
Backlight 9
Contrast 86
Brightness 50
Colour 51
Gamma 0

Game Original (night) mode
Backlight 4
Contrast 82
Brightness 50
Colour 53
Hue 0
Colour temp. Warm 2
Sharpness 50
Extra processing off
Motionflow Off
Film mode auto

Adv settings
Black corrector off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour off
Detail enhancer.off
Edge enhancer off

White balance
R GAIN -1
B gain -2
Rest 0

Game Standard (day) mode
As above
Backlight 7
Contrast 85
Brightness 50
Colour 51

Game modes are calibrated for a full rgb signal not tv broadcast/movies.

3D mode
Cinema 1
Backlight max
Contrast 86
Brightness 50
Colour 57
Hue 0
Colour temp warm 2
Sharpness 50
All processing off
Film mode auto

Black corrector off
Gamma -2
Led dynamic control low
Rest of the processing off

White balance
R GAIN -2
G gain -7
B gain 0
R bias -1
G bias -1
B bias -1

Hi,

You mention that your game settings are for a full RGB signal. My understanding while poking around and researching the settings on my XBOX One are that Full RGB setting is used when it is connected to a PC monitor and can lead to crushed blacks on HDTVs. Does the W905 support Full RGB?

Thanks

Hi,

You mention that your game settings are for a full RGB signal. My understanding while poking around and researching the settings on my XBOX One are that Full RGB setting is used when it is connected to a PC monitor and can lead to crushed blacks on HDTVs. Does the W905 support Full RGB?

Thanks
Yeah the W9 series support full RGB.
With the 360 you had to manually change the tv to full RGB. I'm unsure if this is still the case with the XB1.

Excellent, thanks!
No problem.
Just remember to turn it back to auto when your done gaming. ;)
Though for Ps3 and PS4 it will auto switch to Full RGB when needed.

Is there a way to tell if it has switched automatically if I leave it on Auto? Just in case the XBOX One does trigger it like the Playstation?
Good question.
Set to Full and load up a game, check out the dark sections, shadow detailing etc.
Then turn off the Xbox flip back to auto, re load the game and check out the shadow detail etc. If it's auto switching things will look great if not it will have crushed blacks. The shadow detailing will look too dark and lack finer detail.

Ok thanks.

One last thing...where is the setting in the TV menu? I only ask as I'm not at home at the moment and can't find a reference to RGB in the manual :)

Ok thanks.

One last thing...where is the setting in the TV menu? I only ask as I'm not at home at the moment and can't find a reference to RGB in the manual :)
Press the Home button then go down to settings then display - Video input settings - Dynamic Range and then adjust from there for the input used.

Bit hidden for some reason.

Well last night was fruitful. The XBOX One definitely doesn't get auto-detected as Full RGB, I forgot it actually had its own built in in display calibration test patterns and the blacks crushed as soon as I set it to Full RGB without setting the TV Dynamic Range too. I also tested content from Virgin and my WDTV Live and I could see that the blacks were washed out if I left Dynamic Range set to full, so I have 2 options really.

1. Manually switch the Dynamic Range every time I play on the XBOX and hopefully remember to switch it back after.

2. Connect the XBOX to HDMI 2 and configure all picture settings and use the ARC through HDMI 1 back to my AV receiver to supply surround sound. That should work shouldn't it? Never played with ARC before but that's my basic understanding of it? I guess this would also have the extra added advantage of further reducing any possible input lag as the AV Receiver won't be handling any picture processing.

Last edited:
Well last night was fruitful. The XBOX One definitely doesn't get auto-detected as Full RGB, I forgot it actually had its own built in in display calibration test patterns and the blacks crushed as soon as I set it to Full RGB without setting the TV Dynamic Range too. I also tested content from Virgin and my WDTV Live and I could see that the blacks were washed out if I left Dynamic Range set to full, so I have 2 options really.

1. Manually switch the Dynamic Range every time I play on the XBOX and hopefully remember to switch it back after.

2. Connect the XBOX to HDMI 2 and configure all picture settings and use the ARC through HDMI 1 back to my AV receiver to supply surround sound. That should work shouldn't it? Never played with ARC before but that's my basic understanding of it? I guess this would also have the extra added advantage of further reducing any possible input lag as the AV Receiver won't be handling any picture processing.
Hi.
I had set up my system using ARC but had to have same settings for blu-Ray and sky(which I have slightly different settings) therefor I switched ARC off and use HDMI 1 on TV for blu-Ray & HDMI 3 for sky then I can control settings on TV how I want to.

ARC is working like a charm, now have HDMI3 set constantly to full dynamic range and my XBOX One the same
I'm going to do this with my 360 as my PS4 has taken the 360s socket on my amp lol.
Then again I may route the freest to the tv that way the wife and kids won't need to switch over HDMI connections on the amp/end up messing up my amp settings lol

Whoops...spoke too soon. While I have a lovely full RGB picture I discovered that ARC is only passing the audio from the XBOX One in PCM 2.0, I have tinkered with all possible settings but can't get it to output 5.1 or DTS. However plugging my XBOX 360 into the same HDMI input on the TV passes Dolby 5.1 just fine...so it's obviously an XBOX One issue, I'd heard that Optical was unable to pass more than 2.0 but didn't realise that issue extended to ARC too.

So back to the original setup now, rather forgo a bit of colour range for the sake of full surround sound, until they fix the XBOX One that is :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom