1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Set-up?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jblack, Mar 24, 2005.

1. jblack

jblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Right, I 'THINK' I've finally come up with a plan. Can one of you more experienced guys tell me if this will work or could be bettered for little extra cost? Really appreciate the help so far :) .

Inputs;

SCREEN - Panasonic TH42PWD6BX
    DVD - Panasonic DMRE55
    SKY+ DIGIBOX
    PS2
    VHS PLAYER (cheap model with 1 scart output)
    JS Technology RGB to VGA Converter

Set-up-

PS2<--scart cable-->

SKY<--scart cable-->DMRE55DVD<--scart cable-->RGB TO VGA<--VGA CABLE-->PWD6

VHS<--scart cable-->

Any good? All the sounds will be run off a separate amp (hopefully :confused:)).

Cheers, Jim

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    the middle bit is fine but it's not clear what the scarts frpm the ps2 and vhs are connecting to...is the ps2 going into sky box?....if so that should also be fine....do you have scart board on the panny for the vhs?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Actually you could probably simplify it for a bit less cost. The DMR will upconvert the whole shooting match to component video, which the PW6 can accept on it's VGA port. No converter needed then, just a cable, Keene and Lektropacks do them cheaply, Van Damme and Bettercables do them expensively. 3 phono to 15 pin sub d. I'd hang the whole lot off the DMR with a scart switch, but be prepared to be terribly disappointed in the vHS, they tend to look a bit pants on a plasma. Fine for a bit of Thomas the tank engine of course, and with the DMR in the list I suppose that's what it's for?

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    the e55 is a great bit of kit for the dosh isn't it...but it only has 2 scarts so I guess jim will need to use s-video for either the vhs or sky?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Assuming no VHS recording from sky, I'd go PS2-sky-DMR-screen and VHS-DMR in fact. Get the audio out however you see fit. I think optical out on the DMR will be active for audio continuosly.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yep, but still run optical from sky to amp seperately else you lose the digital dolby going via the e55 for some reason.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah yes, I missed the + sign.

8. jblack

jblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, you two really seem to know your stuff :thumbsup: .

So if I dump the VCR (No real need for it with sky+ and DVD) this should work well?-

PS2<--scart cable-->DMRE55DVD<--3 phono to VGA Cable-->PWD6
    SKY<--scart cable-->

Seems a lot more simple than it should be :D

Cheers, Jim

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    ps2 into the vcr socket on sky+ box, scart from sky+ to e55 and component out to screen....only downside with this is that ps2 may overide sky so that you can't leave games paused (need to save and exit)...other option is s-video from sky to e55 and ps2 scart into e55 and again component out to screen....if you go this way you will need to use the red/white stereo cables also between sky and e55 else you will get no sound when you record as s-video is video only. I'm not sure from what tou say if also have scart board on the screen though.

10. jblack

jblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just the VGA output on the PWD6. No other boards planned.

Think the first option you mention is the one for me as I don't play the PS2 that often. Like this?

PS2<--scart cable-->SKY<--scart cable-->DMRE55DVD<--3 phono to VGA Cable-->PWD6

Cheers again, Jim

11. chrisgibson

chrisgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just clarify something here? I've read the massive 18-page thread elsewhere ["Help a Beginner!!!"] and I think I'm starting to get my head around inputs and converters, especially regarding Panasonic screens. However, this post confused me a bit by suggesting that you can just use a "3 phono to VGA" cable and do away with converters altogether.

Am I right in saying that this will work with the Panasonic 6-series, but not the 7-series as the VGA input won't handle YUV inputs?

The reason I ask is that I'm looking to buy a plasma screen to which I'll attach a DVD player and a digital TV tuner. That's it... no Sky, no PC, no VHS. I'll route all sound through my stereo amp -- it's a decent set up with nice speakers and I don't want full 5.1 or anything yet. I reckon that if I get a Panasonic TH37PW7, I'll need a JS RGB->VGA converter and a Scart controller, and that'll allow me to plug DVD and DVB into the Plasma. Is that right?

I haven't bought a DVD player or digital TV box yet [or, in fact, a Plasma TV] so I'm flexible on options if I'm missing a better route. Am I losing a lot of quality by going Scart and not Component Video, for example? Will I get sound synch problems, or will using the JS converter avoid that?

I'm sorry, I know this has been done to death elsewhere, but I'm still a bit lost. I think I'm getting there, though. Thanks to everyone who posts advice to these forums! If anyone needs any advice on web development, drop me a line. I know where I stand with that :)

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you are right that on the 6 series you can feed component to vga but not on the 7 series so you would need scart to vga converter for digi tuner.....also the component board will be better than scart for your dvd. The bnc component board is much cheaper than the rca version by the way so just buy a rca to bnc component cable as well and you are away. An alternative is buy a dvd recorder like the dmr e55 and plug your digital tuner into that by scart or s-video and the e55 will convert it to component so only one set of leads to screen.

13. chrisgibson

chrisgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds ideal, thanks for the advice.

I'm not especially bothered about DVD recording, but it might come in handy and if it cuts down on cabling I don't mind spending a bit more. I had looked at the Sony RDRGX700 -- even less cable! -- but it doesn't have progressive scan :(

One last question... does anyone have a view on the playback quality of the E55? I've heard that it won't be as good as a dedicated DVD player, but is this really true? I'm sure a £400 player would beat it, but compared to a fairly "standard" DVD player, do you think the E55 is equally as good?

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    firstly, you don't need the dvd to be prog scan because the panny screen is prog scan and will deinterlace for you.
    Second, I find the e55 has very good playback and if compared to the dvd22 that i also have (which is player only and retails between £200 - £300) I am hard pushed to see any difference.

15. chrisgibson

chrisgibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Can I just clarify something here? Am I correct in saying that if your screen is progressive scan, you don't need a progressive scan source? That is, the deinterlacing hardware is built in to the PW7, so the DVD doesn't need to deinterlace the signal first? If this is the case, is there any noticeable difference in quality?

Incidentally, if anyone needs some good information on progressive scan and deinterlacing, I found this link [taken from the dedicated Progressive Scan forum] to be really helpful: http://www.avdeals.com/classroom/Proscanexplained.htm

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    chris that is what my previous post says :)