Good second hand amp for about £500 advice

grahamfocal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am looking to get back into the cinema scene, after buying my sony 40" tv and blu ray.
Got the picture, but now want the glorious sound back.

I am looking to get a decent surround amp (second hand for about £500)
a sub and rears

I have posted a wanted on this site, but actually thinking about it, I am not really sure what the best option is, as I am a few years behind since I last was in the cinema sound arena.
Is it worth getting something with hdmi i/p, or is that purely for the switching, does it make any sound difference, so does it mean that I will get better sound using HDMI leads than going from the standard digital o/p pf the blu ray player straight into the amp.

I have two amps in mind, something like the old Denon AVC A1 SR
or is the A11XV alot better for sound, or any others,

Any help much appreciated in this matter :confused::confused:

If you are seeking HD/Blu-Ray sound decoding and the latest HDMI 1.3 then theres a lot about new for £500 but the second hand market, even for higher end models is mainly dominated by amps/receivers that cannot do this, hence their present proliferation on the 2nd hand market.

You could get a new amp/receiver with the latest features for less than £500.

If you are seeking HD/Blu-Ray sound decoding and the latest HDMI 1.3 then theres a lot about new for £500 but the second hand market, even for higher end models is mainly dominated by amps/receivers that cannot do this, hence their present proliferation on the 2nd hand market.

You could get a new amp/receiver with the latest features for less than £500.

thanks for that, does the sound from the digital o/p of the blu ray give the full spectrum, or is it still akin to the compressed nature of DVD?
So basically, if I were to use the digital o/p from the blu ray into the amp and the HDMI from the blu ray to the TV direct, would I be missing any of the sound quality?

Yes - optical from Blu-ray won't give HD sounds - you need HDMI or 6 analogue connections for that.

thats what i wanted to know, thanks, sorry not very clear in explaining myself,

thats great thanks again, :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom