Good router for £100-150? Is it possible?

yani2k9

Hello,

Could someone please recommend the best router for £100-150? (Is that enough for a decent one?)

Virgin media modem is downstairs and the new router is to be positioned upstairs, connected via cat6 cable.

I live in a 3 bed house set over 2 floors. It's not a huge house by any means but good wifi range would be nice.

It will not be used for gaming or streaming live TV but will be used for netflix, youtube and things like that. Also streaming footage from the security camera's NVR.

My main PC will always stay connected via ethernet but laptops and phones will be relying on wifi. We have a fairly fast connection (250mb) so ideally want to be making the most of it, but without breaking the bank haha

Thanks in advance! :)

mtenga

Distinguished Member
This one made all the difference to my Virgin Media experience. Im sure there are newer and better available but has been an absolute game changer for me.

Amazon product

oneman

If you can stretch a bit then you can pick up used Asus AX88u for under £200. I get decent WiFi in everywhere in my 4 bed semi including the garden.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Thanks all. I've ordered the AC88U, will see how it goes. Appreciate the help.
Good luck and I hope your experience is as positive as mine. I needed three things:

Better WiFi in the bedroom - it more than doubled my typical speed.
More Wired Ethernet ports - eight rather four.
Better Compatibility with devices - my Anthem receiver would not reliably connect to the network, it now does.

There are all sorts of other features this router offers which I have no interest in but the main and core job done.

yani2k9

Good luck and I hope your experience is as positive as mine. I needed three things:

Better WiFi in the bedroom - it more than doubled my typical speed.
More Wired Ethernet ports - eight rather four.
Better Compatibility with devices - my Anthem receiver would not reliably connect to the network, it now does.

There are all sorts of other features this router offers which I have no interest in but the main and core job done.
Awesome and yes hopefully! Good wifi is key. I'll feed back once it's up and running :)

oneman

Awesome and yes hopefully! Good wifi is key. I'll feed back once it's up and running :)
When you set it up, make sure you update the firmware on both routers, Asus have done lots of updates over the years of which some are connected to mesh. Are you planning on using Ethernet for connecting them ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom