1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good review for you Sammy hd850 buyers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Darko, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I have that DVD player and I think it's excellent especially for the price I paid for it and despite it's minor quirks like the 'HDMI Audio not supported' message appearing when using HDMI video and DD5.1 surround sound.

However, the review was merely OK since it seemed the guy didn't test the one thing the player was designed for: 720p and 1080i HD output! He only seemed to comment on the 480p picture because that was the only mode he could use on his CRT TV! That's pretty useless if you ask me since the difference between 480p and 720p is immediately noticeable and a vast improvement in terms of image quality. I use 1080i personally but it's much better than 720p.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It may be so for yourself, others may notice no difference because the scaler in their display is similar/superior to the DVD, if using 1080i on a WXGA display some may see a degradation because the DVD is scaling and the display is scaling too.

I'm sorry for banging on about this but upscaling in the player does not guarantee a superior pic for everyone. It depends on the display and other factors such as the quality of the connection...PJ :)

4. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Now im confused again - as the review states the player comes with a HDMI cable, when i'd previously read that it doesnt...................

5. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    PJTX100 - I realise what you're saying but the point I was making is that the reviewer hasn't commented on the differences in quality between 480p, 720p, 768p and 1080i output via component video and HDMI at all apart from to explain what they are and that the player does all of them! For all I know he may have only tested 480p even though he states the 19" LCD is an HDTV! That makes the review pretty pointless for me as doesn't go into any depth about the very thing the player was designed for!

Still he gave it a good rating so I shouldn't complain to much!!! :smashin:

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    That is true. It does seem pointless to explain them and not give comment whether one looked better then the other - with a caveat that it may not be the same for everyone.

To be clear, I like these upscaling players 'cause they let us all have a dabble for not much money. But I do think they are hyping people into believing these players will also play true HD when it comes along, or at least they are not going out of their way to suggest otherwise.

Hence lots of people are wrongly assuming these players are a future-proof way into HD...PJ :)

7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I realize that from a technical point the review is not overflowing with info but when you consider its the only review I could find that acctually gives a full collection of pics of the player and a view of the back of the player which seems to be scarse on the tintenet and thats what we all wanna have a look at.

Also the guy does talk through all the features on the player so it filled a few gaps for me quality of the upscale really comes down to what device you are playing through and what cables you are using to pair the devices.

I do understand where you are coming from Doc but if you just want to get a feel for the player it is pretty informative.

Cheers Darko

8. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
  9. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Yup agree these two reviews should be combined to give a really good look at this player

Cheers Darko

10. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Well that second review was more what I was expecting and much more technical, perhaps a little too technical for me!!! :lesson:

I can't say I understood some of the terms like 'cadence' etc. but one thing that did get my attention was that HDMI to HDMI is the recommended way to use the player - which is what I use - but it mentions PC and Studio-RGB settings for the picture, the latter one the recommended one. What are these? I don't recall seeing any such settings on my 850 player... :confused:

11. tiburs

tiburs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a shame none of them is giving any feedback about its perfomance with Divx. Any ideas guys?

12. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    In the time I had it (now getting the 950...simply because I can get hold of one) the DivX/Xvid/Avi/Whatever was very very good. Granted it depends on the quality of the file that you give it but on the whole on a 28"CRT it was almost DVD quality. the only thing iu found was that it seemed to lose a bit of the image off of the top and the bottom. I tend to watch alot of Anime (Japanese Animation) via divX etc and absolutely everything I threw at it was very watchable indeed...and this was via RGB Scart. If you have any other Q' I will try and answer. :D

13. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    If you have a look at the follwing page:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_3/dvd-benchmark-introduction-9-2000.html

Follow the links in the table at the bottom of the page, they go over thoroughly what each of the tests and terms means, and what relevance it has to picture quality etc..