Good replacement for a sky a box?

Mrimandan

Novice Member
Hi guys!

I’m after some advice - our sky q subscription is going up and up and we don’t actually watch sky tv.

what’s the best option to
Watch disney +
watch netflix
Watch prime TV
And pause rewind and record freeview TV

I have subscriptions for all the streaming services.

I’d also need a slick UI for my less than techie family to be able to navigate.

thanks!

mikej

The three main off-the-shelf PVR manufacturers these days are Panasonic, Manhattan and Humax.

While I'm a big fan of Panasonic TV's, I wouldn't choose one of their PVRs, personally. I had access to one last year for a few months (I was using it's DVD/Blur-ray recording capabilities) and I found it incredibly frustrating to use.

The models I would look at are the Manhattan T3-R and the Humax Aura, which are the latest models from those two manufacturers. Both are Freeview Play PVRs so have access to all the basic catch-up apps, but you would have to check the specs for any other apps offered. Off the top of my head, I think the Aura comes the closest to your requirements as it offers Disney+ and Prime, but (strangely) not Netflix. The T3-R lists YouTube and Britbox so appears to be less suitable, however it's a fair bit cheaper.

Check the Freeview & YouView forum for any threads on those PVRs.

I suspect you might actually be best off choosing the one which has the best PVR features / slickest interface / best support and pick a streaming device for your other streaming needs, as you're going to need one anyway for Netflix. I use a 4K Fire TV Stick which runs all the apps you need and receives regular updates. They can usually be picked up for around half price on Prime Day / Black Friday although (admittedly) both of those are a long way off ATM.

Mrimandan

Novice Member
Huh okay I was thinking of getting a computer, adding a TV input to it and seeing if there was software available that I could use to do this 🤣

mikej

Huh okay I was thinking of getting a computer, adding a TV input to it and seeing if there was software available that I could use to do this 🤣

You could certainly go down that route if you know what you're doing, but I don't think your 'less than techie' family members would like you for it ! :D

A PVR and Fire TV Stick will be a whole lot easier and probably cheaper too.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Do you have an aerial and decent reception? If so a BT Youview box will give you most of what you need then couple it with a Roku or Firestick for Disney. This is what I use when taking a break from Sky while haggling for a better deal. BT Youview boxes are made by Humax, can be picked up very cheaply in used mint condition and don't require any contract with BT to work.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom