• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Good Region A 240v Blu-Ray player?

irascian

Banned
Anybody got a recommendation for a good 3D Region A player that can be ordered from the USA (or UK although that seems unlikely) and which won't need a transformer to run on a UK power supply?

Some background to my question....

My "multi-region" Panasonic DMP-BD80 player is pretty much useless after not much more than a year's usage. With the benefit of hindsight I made a couple of bad decisions when buying this player:

(a) I didn't check that this was an upgrade that would survive firmware upgrades. It may be a coincidence but since I had problems with the "Star Trek:TNG" sampler Blu-Ray on advice here I updated the firmware and it's only since then it seems to be broken with most new Blu-rays (either displays "Stop" or "Can't read disk" or with some new Region 2 typically plays 10 mins then freezes or goes pixelated or audio disappears) For me this player is now pretty much toast although there are a few hardy perennial Region 0 and Region 1 discs it plays perfectly which is what makes me think this isn't just the laser head packing up. The region switch is through a rather annoying "Power it down and select the region on the remote while powered down" selection process which is time consuming and never feels 100% certain (if it's powered down how's it receiving the infrared code change request?)

(b) I ordered the player from the USA. This meant it came with an ugly and often noisy 120v/240v step-up transformer.

My preferred replacement deck is the Panasonic DMP BDT-500 but none of the usual sources that guarantee something that's firmware upgrade -proof do a multi-region version (yet) and I can't wait in the hope that one day they'll get their act together.

I've therefore decided to go for the UK DMP BDT-500 now and buy a separate player for my Region 1 discs. Hopefully that will avoid any nasty firmware upgrade issues. It seems to be the best "hassle free" option now that I've got quite a library of Region 1 only discs.

On another forum thread someone's mentioned getting a Region 1 player from Richer Sounds for £50 - that seems ridiculously cheap and on the basis of "you get what you pay for" I'm not sure I want to consider that as an option. This is a relatively high-end set-up. I'd also like the player to be 3D if possible - but I don't want an ugly step-up transformer.

I had a quick look on Amazon but of course they just say they can't ship any Region 1 items to your destination.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
You can get UK players with multi region option.
I know is an expensive example but the Oppo 93 is available with this, hopefully there are others nearer your price range.

skk3

Anybody got a recommendation for a good 3D Region A player that can be ordered from the USA (or UK although that seems unlikely) and which won't need a transformer to run on a UK power supply?

Some background to my question....

My "multi-region" Panasonic DMP-BD80 player is pretty much useless after not much more than a year's usage. With the benefit of hindsight I made a couple of bad decisions when buying this player:

(a) I didn't check that this was an upgrade that would survive firmware upgrades. It may be a coincidence but since I had problems with the "Star Trek:TNG" sampler Blu-Ray on advice here I updated the firmware and it's only since then it seems to be broken with most new Blu-rays (either displays "Stop" or "Can't read disk" or with some new Region 2 typically plays 10 mins then freezes or goes pixelated or audio disappears) For me this player is now pretty much toast although there are a few hardy perennial Region 0 and Region 1 discs it plays perfectly which is what makes me think this isn't just the laser head packing up. The region switch is through a rather annoying "Power it down and select the region on the remote while powered down" selection process which is time consuming and never feels 100% certain (if it's powered down how's it receiving the infrared code change request?)

(b) I ordered the player from the USA. This meant it came with an ugly and often noisy 120v/240v step-up transformer.

My preferred replacement deck is the Panasonic DMP BDT-500 but none of the usual sources that guarantee something that's firmware upgrade -proof do a multi-region version (yet) and I can't wait in the hope that one day they'll get their act together.

I've therefore decided to go for the UK DMP BDT-500 now and buy a separate player for my Region 1 discs. Hopefully that will avoid any nasty firmware upgrade issues. It seems to be the best "hassle free" option now that I've got quite a library of Region 1 only discs.

On another forum thread someone's mentioned getting a Region 1 player from Richer Sounds for £50 - that seems ridiculously cheap and on the basis of "you get what you pay for" I'm not sure I want to consider that as an option. This is a relatively high-end set-up. I'd also like the player to be 3D if possible - but I don't want an ugly step-up transformer.

I had a quick look on Amazon but of course they just say they can't ship any Region 1 items to your destination.

Good choice here.

irascian

Banned
I've seen that page MANY times. Most of the players I recognise are only multi-region for DVD. The few that are multi-region for Blu-ray are just not up to the standard of the Panasonic BD-500

And for the reasons I stated I don't want a UK multi-region player. Got burnt once on multi-region (they invariably invalidate the warranty anyway) so would rather have a "native" region player.

irascian

Banned
You can get UK players with multi region option.
I know is an expensive example but the Oppo 93 is available with this, hopefully there are others nearer your price range.

I was hoping to avoid a multi-region player but the reviews on this seem very favourable so I've ordered one from Amazon. Thanks for the tip-off

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom