Good, quiet ***IDE*** hard drive recommendation

arachnoid

I've got an older system that runs IDE, and want to upgrade the hard drive to something that runs very quiet, also with good performance. Any capacity equal to, or above, the existing 400GB. Low cost would be good too. Must be IDE.

DJACID

Novice Member
no noise has to be a ide ssd drive,
but some what pricey,

try buying a 7200rpm ide drive,
i have used seagate,samsung and western digital,

and all 3 brands are really good........

you can also buy a pci sata card and then use a sata drive.....

arachnoid

Thanks. The Plexus converter is a good deal at that price. But, I have an old AOpen MZ855 wherein the disk is mounted East-West - with virtually no space either end of the disk!

arthurleung

Novice Member
Thanks. The Plexus converter is a good deal at that price. But, I have an old AOpen MZ855 wherein the disk is mounted East-West - with virtually no space either end of the disk!

Angled SATA cable will do if space is tight :)
Or if you misunderstand, the adapter plugs on the motherboard IDE port not the disk

Subliminal Aura

Novice Member
I've got an older system that runs IDE, and want to upgrade the hard drive to something that runs very quiet, also with good performance. Any capacity equal to, or above, the existing 400GB. Low cost would be good too. Must be IDE.

The best and proven to be quietest hard drives ever....

Seagate Barracuda IV single-platter

I've still got a 60gig that I use in my media PC .... absolute bliss very very quiet ... Only thing quieter is an SSD.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

Review: Quiet HDDs by Samsung, Hitachi & Seagate | silentpcreview.com

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom