Good quality remote control selector with RCA ports?

tlc1976

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a good quality AV selector switch, with RCA ports and remote control. 4 inputs would suffice, 6 would be nice, but I know more than 4 seems like very limited options. I only need RCA, no HDMI. 2 outs would be nice, if not I’ll use Y adapters.

I recently bought a 6x2 box which would have been perfect but turned out to be some no-name Chinese product. It selects fine, but it throws my colors off and makes some images swim. One would think the selection circuit would be separate from the signal circuit but who knows. I just know I wasted $40.

So I want something of quality that won’t screw up the signal. Preferably something slim and low amperage that I can set on top of the TV along with my FTA box, Roku, and OTA converter box. I currently have a manual box which works flawlessly, but I want something remote control so I can change sources from the bedroom.

A little background, old school guy, I still even use a C band dish, DVD, VCR. I previously used a Philips surround sound receiver, with a 27” CRT and entertainment center. For practically free I recently got a 50” Hitachi Ultravision rear projection TV with about 200 hours, from right down the road. It has a nice sound system, so I’m simplifying my system and putting the receiver, speakers, sub, and entertainment center into storage. I have a nice old Trinitron in the bedroom, with a cable sending the signal, so I can take a handful of remotes and watch whatever I want, using the remote extender. Being able to switch the source in there would be nice, without needing my big receiver just for switching.

You should be able to pickup a second hand ‘Pro AV’ RCA switch by Kramer or similar for very little money.

IR Control could be tricky as Pro gear tends to be push button or RS232.

If you prefer to purchase new and are in the US it is always worth looking at HDTVsupply.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I’ve been seeing a lot of JVC JX units in the used marketplace. They are IR and appear to be well built. Any issues with those that you know of?

Not a unit I have used - when switching RCA was a ‘thing’ we would tend to avoid passive units!

Joe

I looked up a lot of Kramer gear but the only thing I found with remote control was for controlling VGA.

So I picked up a JVC JX S300 for $30 shipped. Like new with remote. I read good things about it and figured I’d give it a try. Works nice and doesn’t seem like any loss in picture quality. I thought about a 7 input box but to get a remote either with it or separately I’d be over $100.

So I use a combination of both boxes which works well. JVC to go between the Roku, FTA, and the output of the manual box. Manual box to go between the TV, VCR, and DVD. I have to get up anyway to change those, and the bedroom has its own players. So set the manual box to TV and I can switch all 3 sources in the bedroom.

I’ve also got the bedroom signal going through the C Band box so I can see the satellite menu in there. No noticeable signal loss on that smaller TV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom