Good quality LED with no bells & whistles?

Novusordo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, would appreciate suggestions of specific models of 42/46" LED TV's that have good picture quality, good energy efficiency, cooling and reliability, but none of the bells and whistles like smartTV, wifi, special integrated content software, the ability to view at any angle, and expensive integrated sound systems (will be using external speakers)

Basically I want a great quality barebones LED panel and being completely new to HDTV's I have no idea what to look for!

Last edited:
The 42E6B is getting lots of good reviews from the pros, although not may owners yet

Reliability is a tough one, I'd only buy from a pukka retailer like John Lewis with a 5 year warranty

Truly basic TVs don't exist now as consumers want the bells and whistles, but they don't want to pay for them, so costs are cut and that often means to the panel, processing etc. You could get a pro panel but it'll cost more

How about buying 2nd hand?

And certainly don't disregard plasma if you want PQ

Typical state of affairs, cuts going on the stuff that matters most!
£750 for that Panasonic is out of budget, which by the way is £550 max!

LEDs are LCDs - I'd be looking at a second hand model from Sony or Panasonic from a few years ago!

For some people, Smart, 3D etc etc is the most important thing ;)

I'm tempted by the Samsung UE42F5000, doesnt have 3D or Smart functions and looks like they may have attempted to fix the motion problem by upping it to 100hz. Although there are currently no reviews for the TV.

I'm tempted by the Samsung UE42F5000, doesnt have 3D or Smart functions and looks like they may have attempted to fix the motion problem by upping it to 100hz. Although there are currently no reviews for the TV.

I had a quick glance at that set in Currys and the contrast looked very good and worth closer inspection. It really stood out next to last years models. Like you I would like a straight forward 'TV' but the F5000 isn't available in the right size for me. Its predecessor the EH5000 was really well reviewed.

ps. If you ask in Currys they will hook up a blu ray player and play a demo dvd or blu ray film. I probably wouldn't buy from them though!

Just got back from my local Currys and was quite impressed with the new Panasonic EM6 they had just put on display. This is a bare bones TV. I think its their equivalent to the F5000.
The remote was small, well made and kinda chunky. The design of the TV is nice too. Slim black bezel. No fancy 'Samsung-esque' transparent borders etc...! It had a nice understated look about it. Image quality seemed very good but its so hard to tell when all they show is the same demo reel again and again. It seems to have the same calibration controls as the E6 which was good to see. Most importantly this includes a backlight control. I was looking at the 39" but it might be available in 42"? It was on sale for £599 I think but this might be the introductory price which is often reduced by £100 after a week or so. Strangely its not on their website yet and very little info about the TV elsewhere. I was also told that they are now doing a 21 day return period.

Sounds good Ossie77, any idea why there's no info on google about the EM6? What's the full model name I need to use on google search?

I checked Currys website too and was surprised it wasn't there. It was definitely the EM6 though. I have checked google and there is very little info about it anywhere. Overseas its called the EM60. I have to say it was a very 'superior' looking no frills set.

ps. If you google 'Panasonic TV line up 2013' you will see it on a few websites. I'm afraid though it only looks as though it will be available in 32, 39 and 50". Looks like somebody forgot to order the 42" from the factory!!!

Just got back from my local Currys and was quite impressed with the new Panasonic EM6 they had just put on display. This is a bare bones TV. I think its their equivalent to the F5000.
The remote was small, well made and kinda chunky. The design of the TV is nice too. Slim black bezel. No fancy 'Samsung-esque' transparent borders etc...! It had a nice understated look about it. Image quality seemed very good but its so hard to tell when all they show is the same demo reel again and again. It seems to have the same calibration controls as the E6 which was good to see. Most importantly this includes a backlight control. I was looking at the 39" but it might be available in 42"? It was on sale for £599 I think but this might be the introductory price which is often reduced by £100 after a week or so. Strangely its not on their website yet and very little info about the TV elsewhere. I was also told that they are now doing a 21 day return period.

Hi Ossie, was there any E6 over there to compare? EM6 is on top my list only if it has exact picture quality with E6. Does it have anti-glare filter like E6? Also did you see the price of 50 incher?

Since there is no frame interpolation or motion blur reduction system on these models, my only hesitation is if I regret when I watch sports. Tough choice!

Last edited:
Yes there was an E6. I can't comment on how the two compare picture wise as I haven't seen the EM6 play anything other than the Currys demo loop. I think the EM6 has an IPS screen so I would suspect the black/contrast won't be as impressive as E6. It looked great but I would be very surprised if it has the exact same PQ as E6. I have seen the E6 properly put through its paces in a Panasonic Store (HD, SD, Avatar Blu ray, football) and have to say it was very, very impressive. I didn't notice any blur when watching the footie. That said I only watched it for 5 mins. Some reviews I have read warned there will be a bit of blur others have commented on how well the E6 handles motion. I also want a TV that will give exceptional PQ when it comes to sports. To my eyes Panasonic TV's offer the best sports picture out there as they have great contrast, natural colours and depth to picture. Anyway, I think there is a general consensus that blur is inevitable with any LED TV.
Design wise the bezel is a bit wider on the EM6. It looks smart but is not as sleek looking as E6. I think the overall width of the EM6 is something like 90cm VS. 88cm for 39E6 so if space is an issue the E6 would be better.
I didn't see the 50incher but it must be a beast!!! Not sure about the anti-glare filter.

I think the EM6 has an IPS screen so I would suspect the black/contrast won't be as impressive as E6. It looked great but I would be very surprised if it has the exact same PQ as E6.filter.

Interesting... I don't think there is any 39" & 50" IPS panel on the market. Perhaps it was tough to make a judgement from a looping demo only. :confused:

Just a wild guess, Toshiba L23xx & L43xx and even Sony W650 series will share this same high contrast CMI VA panel with E6. Let's see which one gonna come out top.

Thanks FYI. Glad to hear it handles sports well. :smashin:

Hi all, I ended up buying the Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B after realising just how good SMART TV actually is!
Just got to get a nice 2.1 home theatre system for it, any suggestions?

I'd be interested on your thoughts with this TV, coz I'm contemplating a TX-L42FT60B myself.. ? :)

Stunning picture quality, very good standard definition quality, too.
Connectivity, wish there was an extra USB port or two so I can have mouse and keyboard, flash drive and external hard drive attached.

The smartTV content is total ***** save for the BBC iPlayer. I feel utterly cheated that 4OD and ITV player are missing, and in it's place is a bunch of crap!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom