Good quality dvd-r recording from HS2 HDD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tunes Man, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if anyone out there knows if a recording from a Panasonic HS2 dvd recorder's hard drive to a dvd-r would be of equal quality as the original recording? What I mean is, if you make a recording of something, whether it be from a camcorder or from cable onto the HS2 hard drive, and then transfer it to a blank dvd-r on the same deck, would it be as good quality as it was when first viewed on the hard drive? This was one of the reasons I bought a HS2 in the first place, because before, all I had was a couple of E50s, and if I wanted to make a copy of something, I had to wire them together with a S-Video cable from one recorder to another, which of course you always lose some quality that way.

I assumed, (and that's your first mistake to assume anything in the world of new tech electronics these days,) that a recording made from the hard drive of a HS2 would be exactly like the original. When I view a copy made from the hard drive on the same deck, it looks pretty much the same quality wise, but I'm no expert on this and was just wondering.

If anyone knows, let me know. Thanks, Tunes Man.

2. chantry

chantry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the E50 Has RGB in and out.

3. terryb

terryb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, it would be identical - well I reckon, I'm going to buy the 100 series box very soon. It's all digital so it's the same material in digital form whever. Well somebody may say I'm wrong but whocares... 99.9999% correct.

I am hoping when I get my box I will get a better picture from my Sony camera because it's connect via the RGB to the TV than the Sony DV Camera via S-VHS connection. I'm so use to seeing RGB clear video... fingures crossed. Any one care to comment on that one.

4. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your always going to get a bit of loss of quality, depends on how good the source matrial is.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Quality will reduce if the file size alters.

ie if you record at XP to the hard drive, this will fill a -r at one hour in length at the same quality. Record 2 hours at you have to reduce to SP, which is still acceptable for most users. I personally wouldn't use the LP and EP due to the loss of quality. At each step the quality reduces although the FR mode is very usefull to exactly fit the program to one media at best possible quality.

You also get a slight loss at each transfer as the data is re-digitised.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    I get very satisfying using FR mode set to 3 hours. That way, I can get four episodes of Enterprise and Stargate on one DVD (minus the adverts).

This is recording in RGB from a Philips freeview box.

I have been recording Dilbert from FTN on LP. It still looks fine.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality of your dvd-r depends entirely on the length of the recording you are transferring.Officially if its 1 hour or under ,it will be identical,but you would be pushed to notice much drop in quality up to around 2hours and a bit.Any longer than that and you will notice a drop.Using FR as the dubbing mode will give the best recording possible on a blank dvd

8. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the E50 does have RGB outputs, but as far as I know, they are only to output the signal to your television, right? I'm not aware of you being able to use them as record inputs, unless I missed something in the manual. To my knowledge, the only record inputs the E50 has are S-video, RCA phono video or the antenna cable input.

The HS2 has a firewire input for a dv camera which I like because it gives you the best possible quality for recording digital video. I wish the firewire connection was a in/out though. I tried to output the signal from the HS2 firewire to my dv camcorder but had no luck. I guess it's only meant to feed the signal into the HS2
    but not out.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. Tunes Man.

9. chantry

chantry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tunes Man
    According to P anasonics own web site which is currently having problems the HS2/ E50/E60 ALL HAVE rgb out on A/V 1 AND RBG in on AV 2.HOPE THIS IS CORRECT as i am about to buy one.
    Regards
    Chantry

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 has selectable input on AV2.You can choose between:Video;S-video and RGB.
    The same options are available on the output.
    The only niggles I have are:
    All NTSC material is output in PAL 60,unless you change the tv system over to NTSC in the menu,which is what you have to do to record any NTSC material.Then you have to change it back again to record PAL.
    Thats one thing that you don't have to do on Philips DVD+ machines-but its a small price to pay